3eland does hobby stuff! Picture heavy thread of Awesome!

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: 3eland does hobby stuff! Picture heavy thread of Awesome!

Post by 3eland »

Figured I might as well Necro my own thread now that I joined an AoS Tale of Warlords. 2K points of AoS painted in 6 months.

I plan to finally get on with my Kharadron Overlords and finish the army. Therefore, I figured I would bring you all on board too and share my work as I complete it.

Seems Photobucket is going to stamp their logo on my pics, so I'll have to figure out a better picture hosting site, but for now... I'll host them through Bartertown.

So I had this cool idea to make bases that stood out for my KO. Everyone I have seen online has their ships and their Balloons with white tuft to make it out like they are in clouds. I didn't really like this idea. Partially because I hate that cotton tuft stuff (especially if it was to get wet) and partially because I like to pretend I'm special and need to be different.

And so, I thought 'How cool would it be if the ships and the Balloons looked like they were high up in the sky with the ground extremely tiny below?!?!'

If you are familiar with the Warhammer Mighty Empires or the Warhammer 40,000 Planetary Empires, you'll remember the tiles has cool terrain moulded on that was exactly what I was thinking. And so, I decided to scour the inerwebz for bases like the Mighty Empires.

Unfortunately, it would seem no one else has had this idea before and cashed in on it. Not a single resin base maker had anything similar that I could find. So, disappointed, I decided I would have to think of a different approach.

I went into my basement where I have large tubs of just random hobby crap (and tons of forgotten or abandoned projects) and sure enough, I was able to find 2 Mighty Empires tiles!
49560071_405418620201586_4978658224744955904_n.jpg
I then had the most brilliant of brilliant ideas. Why not take the tiles and just MAKE my own bases? Now, the 32mm ones and the large 50mm bases fit perfectly inside the tile. So I knew I could just cut out the diameter I needed for them.
50042762_326528244635434_9013263280411508736_n.jpg
And so I broke out my dremel tool, sanded the one side flush and got to work. I was able to make the 50mm fairly easily (actually a lot easier than i thought it was going to be).
49501689_328244438023037_8165268854499442688_n.jpg
I think my idea is going to work. I just have to get some circular saws to cut out the 32mm ones (make it a bit easier than using the dremel to cut it out since the size would be exact).
49587793_353316002151137_7972275950752628736_n.jpg
As for the large ship bases? Well... I haven't gotten to them yet. I do have an idea though! If I take a bunch of the tiles and cut them out, I could (theoretically) place them on a base as one larger, connected tileset. Then cut the excess off and shave it to fit the base. then all I'd need is a little bit of greenstuff to fix up and cracks and I'd be good to go. Unfortunately I don't have any more Mighty Empires tilesets to try it on, so that will have to wait.

As for the Kharadrons that AREN'T flying? Well, I have an idea for them too! I thought I'd make up bases that looked like the ship deck. So they looked like they were on the ships themselves. Paint it the same colours, etc. I think that idea will work too, and it'll be easy. Popsicle sticks or Balsa wood, then carve in some details to match the Frigate/Ironclad deck and boom!

Any ways, that's enough rambling on for now. I will update you all again when I get more done on my Overlords!

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I like the knight... I don't think I have ever worked on anything in that size class... Would be interesting to try as my old eyes might work a bit better on it.

It stompa is also very nice, but Ork stuff is just meant to look goofy... So, you did exactly what you were supposed to do and channeled the inner Gork-a-Mork-a...
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Ha ha yeah Orks are an interesting race.

The one aspect I love about them though is you can pretty much make anything out of everything and it would fit their style. Just rust it up and add red paint!

R
~Ryan~

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah, big metal robots... I do have several PP colossals that are kind of like those... Maybe if that game ever restarts (I can have a go at them)...

I like the Greater Demon quite a bit. I go green/yellow on those (baby-bugger-snot demons as I have described it to my wife - I don't know what it is but if I say Nurgle to females in my life they tend to like to phonetically corrupt it in funny ways [oh, look at the little urkle-furkles). Yours is a pretty sweet color scheme vs the norm.

I think the Glotkin is nice as well; however, for some reason, it pops maybe too much for me (even though it isn't much less muted than the GUI)... (I am) not sure why... I have one in a box and have never painted it, but really look forward to it when I am back around to Nurgle.

(I am) restarting with a fresh new goblin army (still in build stage due to a lot of resin)... Oh so fun, especially, considering I already did one long ago and scrapped it for the newer models (sell the 40 oop models to enlarge to 200 for free because God knows I can't find 200 of the old metal models nor would I pay the massive cost). The last horde army I painted was 300ish skeletons and zombies... Skeletons were not a problem... by the time I was midway through the zombies, well let's just say, when a very restrained, muted-pallette painter starts using day glow colors they might be getting bored of painting the same thing (especially when they go, "Hey yeah make some Ronald McDonald uniform ones").

I have a super fast connection, and I thought all of the pages loaded last night... I went to bed and I left it on this page, and sure enough more had magically appeared overnight!
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yup I tend to spam with the pictures. I've actually been slacking on this thread. I should get more pictures of what I have been doing up so it doesn't look like I've been slacking too hard.

Like these T'au I did about two months ago.

I wanted a quick scheme I could push out that still looked good. T'au Septs don't have coloured armour like Marines do (Blue marines for example are Ultramarines) and so have a lot more adaptability to paint schemes. Instead, their markings designate their Sept. So, I wanted to paint something camo style. After a quick poll in a Facebook group I'm in, the winner was a snow world.

And so, my T'au Sept began!

Shadowsun is my Warlord. I love her fluff and her model (I even bought the Wargames Exclusive Pin-up version of her, although it is yet to be painted) so my army uses the T'au Sept rules since she is locked in (this by the way irritates me to no end. I can understand Chapter Masters and tactics for their chapter, but a T'au Commander is known to fight alongside other Septs, so the fact that they are locked in just makes no sense to me).

Like I said I went with an "easy" scheme. One that I could use my airbrush for 99% of the model and still look good. Well... "easy" may have referred to the paint... but man was the masking a pain. Having to mask the model between colours almost put me off painting these guys. So much work. But, I stuck through it and I feel the end result speaks wonders. I was asked if I was going to do further detail work on the models.. and I was thinking about it... but I really like how simple the scheme is and how simple the look is. I feel starting to add too many details would break up the clean, simple look.

I have more painted than what is in this shot here, as this was taken before I started branching into larger games. I have approximately 1500 points or so painted now (Chapter Approved will have affected this). In total I think I have about 3k worth of T'au that I will be working on this year alongside my Kharadron Overlords Tale of Warlord challenge.

Thanks for the comments!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Wow.
Those are going to be nice when you're done with them.

LOL ; )

Leave it to a Canadian to give an army a winter theme!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Ha ha at least I know how to base them! So much experience (just have to look outside).

R
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Notice my snow sparkles like the real deal too!

I have my own recipe for it, which I will obviously share since I like hearing myself speak(write?) ;)

I go to a store called Michaels. I'm not sure if the States have Michaels or not, but it's essentially a very large craft/hobby store.

I grab their Craft Glitter paint (Crystal version, as you can buy different glitter types) like the below.
43823132_10214794990342150_7333159347951763456_n.jpg
then, I combine that along with white pva glue (I get the Elmer's all purpose as it *supposedly* has a stronger cure) and hobby snow. You can use the GW powder snow or whatever you like to use. I personally buy the Scene-A-Rama stuff from Michaels.
43951330_10214795011302674_1275677803139825664_n.jpg
Then, depending on how soft you want the snow, just mix everything together until you get the consistency you like.

As for the icicles on the drones? I melted the clear plastic stands over a candle (make sure you don't go too close to the flame itself, you want to use the heat to melt it). Then super glued them on after the snow dried.
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

We do have a Michaels.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I'm certain *I* will never need it, but I'm sure it could hep someone.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah, I tend to use snow a lot... I saw some sparkle snow stuff the other day but I am sure Micheals is cheaper.

The big AOS base swap continues... and I will have to redo them... I use the same technique without the glittery bling... but I will add it... It does look cooler.
NorthWestWind ( 58 )
BTown Regular

Post by NorthWestWind »

I thought I was being super clever doing my KO bases with mighty Empire Tiles.
If I owe you a reference let me know.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

NorthWestWind wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 pm
:shocked:
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Last night I took a small side step away from my projects and did up a Vampire for my buddy. He asked if I wanted to paint it for him and of course I said yes. I tried to play around with blues on this little guy, even shading the metals in blue. Think he turned out okay.

Side note - this miniature was made in 1993! I'm only 5 years older than it!
BtownVampire1.jpg
BtownVampire2.jpg
~Ryan~

tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

NorthWestWind wrote:
No less clever. Just makes you both clever as you both came to the idea separately and such.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

tordeck wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm
NorthWestWind wrote:
No less clever. Just makes you both clever as you both came to the idea separately and such.
Two geniuses!

Too bad you're not also Canadian. Would make the ultimate duo.
~Ryan~

Return to “Creative Endeavors”