What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

DavrosRTS ( 182 )
Resident Trader

Re: What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Post by DavrosRTS »

I thought about coming back and trying 40k again. But there is no way now that everything is so different from the last time I played in 3rd edition. Sad part now also it is a game that has priced itself out of the range of many people thinking about playing. $30 for 3 plastic Terminators? And Gawd forbid if I want to even think of rebuilding an Ork Crew.
"You can Get more with a Kind word and a two by four than by just a kind word"

(\_/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(O.o) profile to help him on his way to world
(> <) Domination
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

DavrosRTS wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:38 am
I thought about coming back and trying 40k again. But there is no way now that everything is so different from the last time I played in 3rd edition. Sad part now also it is a game that has priced itself out of the range of many people thinking about playing. $30 for 3 plastic Terminators? And Gawd forbid if I want to even think of rebuilding an Ork Crew.
Really, it isn't much different from 3rd to 8th than it was from 2nd to 3rd. Things are different, but it it just 40k.

But you have a solid point on the second part of your post... If only there were a place where you could pick up used miniatures for an affordable price.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Well how about that. GW releases index books and suddenly GW says Codexs are next. I'm speechless. My local Game store put up 3000.00 for indexs alone. ANd now hes stuck with dead inventory, for 8th edition, already; and 8th edition isent even 6 months old . I mean who wants to buy a book that will be useless in a matter of months anyway. Grant ya the marine one will still be useful for blood angels and dark angel players.(FOR NOW) But Grey Knight and generic marine players just got shafted again by good ole GW. And they may have put my local game shop out of business. WOW...

He even offered a 10% discount if you bought one of each. ANd people still held back because of the recent lost of all the codexs we just lost going from 7th to 8th.

And like the guy said the prices for figures alone is making the game harder to reach for any new players want to get into the game. I remember when the "NEW" Land Raider first came out it retailed for 45.00. Now its up to 75.00 for just one vehicle alone. Ask a kid if he would prefer buying a single model for 75.00 or 15+ boosters of Magic cards. Or maybe the next Playstaion video game that him and all his friends can play with online with?? And he dosent even have to build or paint it.

Why does GW charge 35.00 for a single RESIN commander and Privateer Press only charge 12-18.00 for a commander figures made of METAL??

IM glad I only bought the ONE index. Its still useful for my Blood Angels and Dark Angels armies.

Its like GW is almost trying to scare away new players.

And to give you an IDEA of how Bad GW is compared to other Gameing companies. A different Gameing shop in this area dosent carry anything GW. He now employs 3 additional workers and the entire store was payed for and profited in less the a year.

Wait I just looked at GWs site. 70.00 for 2 Primaris Heros???!!! 70.00 for (2) 35mm plastic character models. HOLY SHEET!!!! Has GW lost their minds???!!! Thats their way of drawing in NEW players??? WOW...Oh I'm sorry, the "FREE" PDF file for match play is online. ROFLMAO!!!!
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Dude, we get it, you hate GW.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

lol, so true
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I've been playing on and off since Rogue Trader, none of his rant is new; or even something that I haven't said before.
I left in third ed. Checked back in at fifth and returned in sixth to seventh.
I'll buy books probably later on,when I get the time to play.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Okay, Nightlord. We get it. You don't like GW. Got ya.
Here's the deal, though... this is about EIGHTH EDITION CHANGES. Nothing else.
If you want to complain about GW's pricing structure, release schedule or anything else, please do it elsewhere. By "elsewhere," I don't mean a different SITE, just not THIS thread. Start a separate thread... you'll find a LOT of people who agree with you (myself included).

If you want to complain about what GW did to the rules, then go for it.

As for your local store possibly going out of business... well, that's on them. I mean, $3k worth of INDEXES? That means he bought TWO HUNDRED indexes. That's FORTY of each index? If the guy's going to make that kind of a horrible business decision, he might want to consider a new line of business. I mean, I doubt the big online retailers bought that many on first release.

And, as for the new codices coming out? Once again, GW was up front about what they were doing. They released these books so that we could all use all of our armies immediately, rather than waiting for a new codex. Had they released no codices, or just one or 2, they'd have heard far more complaints about that.

Back on topic....

I don't like Power Level. Last night, a couple buddies and I (finally) got around to going through the rules. They just grabbed a couple random squads. Power level 16 Chaos and Power level 14 Tau. Yes. Chaos had him outpointed in that matter... but the butt stomping that chaos put on Tau was ridiculous. One whole unit dead on turn 1 and part of the second... Bottom of Turn 1, the tau player put the dead squad back on the table, just to have more experience with shooting... they took out, like, three Thousand Sons. ALL of them.

I don't like the change to Obliterators, either. Random roll for Str, AP and # wounds per shot? Ugh.
I get it, the change will make tanks look that much better in comparison again... but I hope they give them weapon choices again in the codex!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Do not build lists with power Levels. Power levels are for Narrative or Open play games, NOT matched. They are so unbalanced that little Canadian babies cry when people talk about playing by Power Level. Do you want little babies to cry Eric? Innocent, kind, caring, apologetic Canadian babies? No. Because those babies will grow up and remember the time you played by Power Level and made them cry. They will hunt you down, kick your ass, and then buy you a drink while declaring how sorry they are.

#StoptheCanadianbabycrying
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

I disagree with you guys about power level. I ONLY play power level if I can help it, too many mistakes for people using points, too much time making lists, more fun playing with all the toys.
There is a great article about it on frontline gaming, I pretty much agree on all of these points:

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/06 ... urnaments/
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

3e,

Those Canadian babies won't cry if they're playing Power level 16 CSM and I'm playing Power Level 16 Fire Warriors! LOL

@akum: FLG is work-blocked. I'll keep an eye out for it later. I'll keep an open mind, but I'm in serious doubt that it'll change how I feel.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pael ( 112 )
BTown Regular

Post by pael »

I hope someone makes an app that puts all the points for every unit, in a nice little package soon.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Just give it time. I anticipate two things will happen:
1) Army Builder, battlescribe, etc will update their details eventually
2 GW will come out with something of their own.

The commercial ones will be better in that they'll continue to put all the details they currently do. GW's won't On the other hand, GWs will be updated far more often. I read something about someone putting out a GW army builder tool. GW liked it, promoted it, and eventually bought (?) it. It's NOW official. They'll leverage that tool to make a similar one for 40K to try to put the second party apps out of business.

Those are my predictions.

Eric

akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

you gots to change ur pic MM!
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

You're not seeing the point. I remember online where a GW rep made comment about attracting "NEW" players to the game . But the over all costs and the amount of All the 7th edition codexs kept people away from the game. And that was one of the reasons for the new 8th edition system. Not to mention it needed updating anyway. And yet GW dragged even more money out of its potential NEW fans by turning recently bought indexs into fire place starters in less then a year. Instead of controlling the prices of their game figures. I'm not saying I hate GW. But when are people gonna start standing against them instead of praising them like a bunch of fan boys.

Yes 8th edition cleaned up the rules; and maybe for now sped up the game. But at what costs to the consumer and to the local gaming store trying to earn a living???
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

nightlord wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:00 pm
You're not seeing the point. I remember online where a GW rep made comment about attracting "NEW" players to the game . But the over all costs and the amount of All the 7th edition codexs kept people away from the game. And that was one of the reasons for the new 8th edition system. Not to mention it needed updating anyway. And yet GW dragged even more money out of its potential NEW fans by turning recently bought indexs into fire place starters in less then a year. Instead of controlling the prices of their game figures. I'm not saying I hate GW. But when are people gonna start standing against them instead of praising them like a bunch of fan boys.

Yes 8th edition cleaned up the rules; and maybe for now sped up the game. But at what costs to the consumer and to the local gaming store trying to earn a living???
They were very clear about what the indexes were for. I have no idea, as MM said, why a store would order that many indexes or why their sales rep wouldn't have warned them. That sounds like the LGS had no idea what they were doing.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”