What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Re: What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Post by spiralingcadaver »

At the moment, I expect a lot of dumbing down which will be frustrating in the moment, but not missed in the long run. The changes have mostly been things I don't care about or positive, with a couple exceptions--

I thought the leadership system was fine with the problem being how few units it actually affected, not the mechanics themselves.

I think the way they're handling blasts is both weirdly abstract and seems like it will not work effectively.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I need to catch up on the "leaks" GW is putting out. I'm about a week behind.

Eric Wessels
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Oh, for reference on those two--

New leadership is closer to demonic instability: d6 + # of guys lost this turn - LD = # of dead guys (obviously only if above 0). You don't fall back or w/e any more.

And the current example of a blast is a battle cannon, which just gets d6 attacks, which is a real head scratcher, as it seems unreliable and not very representative of catching a group in an explosion.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Leadership is exactly like battle shock from AoS.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

ROFLMAO!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!! I knew it, GW is making you buy the new rules. NO they are not online!!! OMG GW has fooled the public once again!!!

LINE UP AND DRINK YOUR KOOLAID LADIES AND GENTLE MEN!!!
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
gpfredette ( 720 )
Bartertown Marshall

Post by gpfredette »

Good day,

That's not completely true:

Just under the video of the store managers reactions.

"Also, while we’re on the subject of rules, we’ve some great news – the core rules for Warhammer 40,000 will be available for free! You’ll be able to download the Battle Primer PDF on games-workshop.com and warhammer40000.com from June 17th."

You do have to pay for the army lists - unlike AOS but I guess that is a small thing so I can play my sisters of battle before they never get updated - :'(
So that part is true about no free rules.

Have a nice day,

Thank you,
Williams, AZ
Home of the Historic Grand Canyon Railroad

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Lower Rating ships/pays first.

My Refs: ref_view.php?user_id=14243
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

NL, that tone is a bit much, but yeah, I'm pretty irritated, too. Free rules would have been the way to earn interest but I assume that they decided that wouldn't be as profitable.

And no, I don't think that a truncated version of the core rules being available, without any model rules, is anything more than a promo masquerading as something else, since it isn't enough to actually play the game at all, let alone play a decently complete version.

A complete army book and incomplete core rules set for free (with purchasable expanded content) would have been a free rules set; a complete core rules set with purchasable army books would have been kinda' a free rules set; an incomplete rules set without model rules, with everything purchasable isn't free much of anything; an incomplete rules set without model rules, where you can buy basic army rules which are scheduled to be replaced even before they're able to be preordered... beats a stick in the eye.
-Nietzsche

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

Donno what you guys are sad about. 7th edition 40k was a BLEEPING abomination with the bloat. Couldnt be happier with ALL of the changes. Free rules are still free. 25 dollar book for 4+ armies. Sign me up.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Being not a specific train wreck doesn't mean it's good, it just doesn't mean it's not that train wreck. The changes so far consist of a few things fans have been asking for, for years, and then some weird other things, and some ports from AOS that don't include the incentive of a free set of functional rules. Honestly, there was a lot of initial cool stuff, but there are a number of things I don't really like, and that ratio's been shifting towards the latter.
-Nietzsche

fitterpete ( 202 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by fitterpete »

Don't really like much about 8th.Our group is sticking with 7th, we don't play anything like competitive, heck most times we don't use points.So the balance and complication issues don't bother us much.
I have managed to pick up almost all the 7th codices at 45-55% off so I have enough list to build new armies for 15 years LOL
We do have to figure out 7th stats and points for the Numarines though(:
Never send me anything UPS or that I have to sign for I can't afford to take off work to receive it.Always send with Delivery Conformation,I will do the same.
If you are not in the United States tell me NOW,please.
Make a offer? It's your stuff you should know what you want for it.Seriously you want me to price your stuff for you?

edited my sig per Btown rules.Is this better Miss?

See D!ck
See D!ck run
See D!ck trade on Bartertown
See D!ck not leave a reference
Don't be a D!ck
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

That's what kills communities. Saw it happen when aos dropped and people clutching thier pearls stayed with the old edition. New blood and new books keep games alive
fitterpete ( 202 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by fitterpete »

LOL There are 6 of us, our "community" is what it is.I don't think our little group is going to have any impact on the rest of the 40k community. 40k is a beer and pretzels game for us.We all played 2nd till our eyes bled then quit playing for years till 6th.
Never send me anything UPS or that I have to sign for I can't afford to take off work to receive it.Always send with Delivery Conformation,I will do the same.
If you are not in the United States tell me NOW,please.
Make a offer? It's your stuff you should know what you want for it.Seriously you want me to price your stuff for you?

edited my sig per Btown rules.Is this better Miss?

See D!ck
See D!ck run
See D!ck trade on Bartertown
See D!ck not leave a reference
Don't be a D!ck
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I've very curious about FW's statements on some sort of modified 7th edition for what HH is played in. Seems like that could gain some real traction.
-Nietzsche

TexasPI007 ( 16 )
BTown Regular

Post by TexasPI007 »

I started playing back in RT and stopped around v3.5; the new rules have interested me to give it another go. From what I have seen the rules are more reminiscent of RT than current 40K.
Enimo Et Fide
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Played 8th today. I liked it.

Eldar are still full of SO much cheese. And yes, I was the one playing them.

The D-Scythe Flamers are stupid amazing. 5 models were taking out 10+ models per turn. Or easily 1 model units.

Disgusting. Like, I almost cried FOR my opponent.

Everything seems viable. Even crappy units that no one likes or takes. Everything seems to have some sort of role to play now.

I will say though that shooty armies will have a slight advantage. I was in combat Turn 1/2 most of the time, but being able to fallback and just being able to shoot, period, was a definite bonus.

Our gaming group (15 currently off and on, but 8-10 of us game regularly) will be switching to 8th. We already all got a group order in for indexes and starters and such.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”