Map makers Whats the best to use?

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

EVIL INC ( 42 )
Resident Trader

Map makers Whats the best to use?

Post by EVIL INC »

Hello, Working on writing up a fantasy campaign setting I've been using since the early 80s. My biddies and I came up with it and have been playing in it and I'm trying to write it up as an official setting to see if others might be interested in it.
One of the things we did was branch out into other areas of our world so that there are different locations but only in a vague way. Each seperate location was rich in depth and detail, just the geography between and connecting then is missing.
I'm looking for a good map program that will let me build our world using hex maps. I've seen a few free map make programs online but they were random. I'm looking for one where I can create it from scratch, create the land masses, water systems, mountain ranges, insert cities and so forth.
Whats the best one? Prices unless free? Examples of results?
Treat other members with the same dignity, respect and honesty you would like to be treated with.
Lord Cedric ( 292 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Map makers Whats the best to use?

Post by Lord Cedric »

Campaign Cartographer works very well. I own a much earlier version.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Army's Collected:

Bretonnia (6000+), Dwarfs (4000+), High Elves (12,000+), Dark Elves (4000+), Wood Elves (4500+), Skaven (5000+), Orcs & Goblins (6000+), Empire (4000+), Ogre Kingdoms (4000+), Lizardmen (6000+), Vampire Counts (4000+), Tomb Kings (4000+), Chaos Warriors (4000+), Daemons (4000+), Beastmen (4000+)

"....And yes! I play them all too." :-D
athelu ( 608 )
Resident Trader

Re: Map makers Whats the best to use?

Post by athelu »

Easy and cheep - Grid Cartographer by David Walters. The previous version is free, but has no ability to export content. The newest version is pretty slick for mapping, but is still missing a few "stencils" in my opinion

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”