What's your other hobbies?

An area to talk about CCGs, Board Games, Dice.. anything NON Miniatures or RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

What's your other hobbies?

Post by bhouze »

Personally I got the arcade bug when one of my old friends was moving out of home and his dad said "Take all you s**t"
I was happy to take his old Bally Wizard! pinball machine.
A few hours of cleaning and it was playing a few coils and a fuse holder and it was back to 100% I had a really fun pinball machine.
I went to a few game auctions in a nearby larger city and came home with a Gauntlet legends for the opening bid.
My niece and nephew played it to death and I sold it for what I had into it within a few hours of posting.
Moved up to a Bally Atlantis a few auctions later, put some work in it and sold it for a bit less but as I was planning on sinking money into shop repairs ($80/hr. labour) I came out pretty good (also learned that I should wait to quote prices when I get home from work as my wife didn't forward his higher offer e-mail. But I'm a man of my word) but another very quick sale.
Now I have enough in the pinball fund to go after the machine I played as a teen or a multi-arcade cocktail (tabletop) machine. It just has to have Donkey Kong for my wife and Robotron for me!

Just gotta have access to a truck or van and a fridge cart if you value your back ($50 at princess auto).
The game auctions were really crazy. If you ever want a slate pool table or air hockey they go real cheap (less than $50 here). But you have to move them (load and unload)
bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: What's your other hobbies?

Post by bhouze »

I scored a Data East Checkpoint at auction this week. Needs a little work, a whole lot of cleaning to get it going but it already plays.
At least the screwed up display kept it reasonable and it's an easy fix.
Biggest problem with any pin is lugging them home and setting them up in the basement.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I buy a lot of CDs and DVDs.
I collect a variety of 80s vintage toys.
And in the past few years, I've started on ComBloc firearms.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Lord Cedric ( 292 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Lord Cedric »

I play Warhammer Fantasy, just started 40k, Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game, Flames Of War, Star Wars Miniatures, looking at Hail Caezar, computer gaming, armour and leather smithing, and fully armoured medieval combat (professionally and competitively).
Army's Collected:

Bretonnia (6000+), Dwarfs (4000+), High Elves (12,000+), Dark Elves (4000+), Wood Elves (4500+), Skaven (5000+), Orcs & Goblins (6000+), Empire (4000+), Ogre Kingdoms (4000+), Lizardmen (6000+), Vampire Counts (4000+), Tomb Kings (4000+), Chaos Warriors (4000+), Daemons (4000+), Beastmen (4000+)

"....And yes! I play them all too." :-D
bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by bhouze »

s_o_r_r_o_w
after reading your post I thought I'de chime in that I have a few Ultradiscs and they may be hard to find but they seem to be the apex of the CD music world. I had a bunch of my stuff stolen when moving many, many, many years ago. The insurance company just asked for receipts so why by the regular version of a Pink Floyd CD when you could have the Ultradisc version. I am very happy that a $50 disc back then is commanding so much now.
Guns are fun but too much paperwork and responsibility here in Ontario. You need to have a gun safe, store ammo away from your gun. the gov't informs your spouse you are seeking a permit....
I much prefer the vacation 'rent a gun' service. Although it's hard to find the FN FAL I shot back in the day while in cadets.

to Lord Cedric as a 'professional' knight is it bad form to injure your opponent? I have a brother who drag races and his life insurance premiums show it (although once you have 4+ vehicles you get a fleet rate for car insurance). I can only imagine what a health insurance provider may ask if you ever ended up at the ER. I would guess you could watch an episode or two of The Quest and pick it apart.
Lord Cedric ( 292 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Lord Cedric »

Yes, it is bad form to injure another. The goal is to disable them and make them yield without injury, but with skill and technique.

As far as ER, I have only been hospitalized twice from professional fighting (yes.. I get paid to fight) from the last 10 years of doing it (I've been fighting for over 15 years). I have great insurance and luckily the injuries I had required no overnight stays. The ambulance rides were very expensive though in my opinion.

- Lord Cedric
Army's Collected:

Bretonnia (6000+), Dwarfs (4000+), High Elves (12,000+), Dark Elves (4000+), Wood Elves (4500+), Skaven (5000+), Orcs & Goblins (6000+), Empire (4000+), Ogre Kingdoms (4000+), Lizardmen (6000+), Vampire Counts (4000+), Tomb Kings (4000+), Chaos Warriors (4000+), Daemons (4000+), Beastmen (4000+)

"....And yes! I play them all too." :-D

Return to “Card, Board, and all other gaming”