the_trader AKA Joe Bartle - Involved Parties Discussion

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

redstarone ( 48 )
Account Terminated

Re: Taking action on the-trader - Involved Parties Discussion

Post by redstarone »

WTF is all I can say.

He is 19 for sure. He admitted to me the same thing he admitted to the police.

They say he has no items or money to return? Thats plain BS. He sent me pictures of the imperial guard tanks and baneblade he was selling people. He admitted to selling the same lot to many people and he agreed to at least send the stuff he did have to someone. He also told me he would return all the models he got sent and even use the money he made to pay back as many people as he could.

After 2 days I knew he was full of *edit*. His last message to me said "im disabled, I cant get in trouble".

Sure enough, he seems to have been right. What BS..

And is it just me or are the Hull police <not smart>? 1000's isnt viable? the emails they got and this thread itself isnt proof enough of victim statements? They give him a slap on the wrist because he is unemployed and disabled? Whats even more messed up is he has dyslexia. How does that justify mail fraud? Its not like he is mentally handicapped....

So once again WTF Hull police!
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

you know what I would do if this guy is doing this on ebay also....I would start an ebay auction titled

Warhammer W40K Have you been scamed by The Trader
or email address Joeandlisabartel@gmail.com

and then put in the description a brief explaination of who he is and all relevant details and a contact number. See if you can get more hits :)

If he has scammed 2 or 3 times as many people on ebay then here it might just perk up the ears of Hull even more.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I do believe that this may have totally killed any future trades overseas for me, except for a very short list of traders who have already proven themselves to me (or who do in the future).

If the UK won't do anything about someone who ADMITS to internet fraud, then what hope do we have for other claims of lesser amounts?

No. I don't think it's worth it to me. Eventhough it would be a rare occurance that I'd HAVE to ship first, I might, one day, ship something to someone after receiving their stuff, only to discover that it has "never arrived," and I'm S.O.L., because I can't count on the local PD to do an efficient job. If it's a trade, tracking would be on me. Since I wouldn't probably pay the extra for it... Nah. *F* it. Not worth the trouble.

If anyone ever asks them why you insist that the person with the lower ref. ships first, regardless of if it's a trade or sale, PM them a link to this thread as your reason.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

'No victim statements", means no one physically came into the station and filed a complaint. Internet complaints probably don't count in a legal since because anyone can be anyone on the internet. He's unemployed, doesn't have the merch, and all his victims are non-UK citizens, which equals out to nothing. 0+0=0.
At least they brought him in for questioning and he admitted what he did, hopefully he now has a criminal record which will make it hard for him to get a good job. You all could take the cue from the Ticknor fiasco and make his internet life hell and dime him out on all sites he visits.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
redstarone ( 48 )
Account Terminated

Post by redstarone »

Ironhide wrote:'No victim statements", means no one physically came into the station and filed a complaint. Internet complaints probably don't count in a legal since because anyone can be anyone on the internet. He's unemployed, doesn't have the merch, and all his victims are non-UK citizens, which equals out to nothing. 0+0=0.
At least they brought him in for questioning and he admitted what he did, hopefully he now has a criminal record which will make it hard for him to get a good job. You all could take the cue from the Ticknor fiasco and make his internet life hell and dime him out on all sites he visits.
Well put on everything you said. I think your my new internet crushy.

:lol:
TrooperPX ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TrooperPX »

Ironhide wrote: ... and make his internet life hell and dime him out on all sites he visits.
Call him out, anywhere and everywhere he goes... Every game, every event, every hobby store, every board, every newsgroup, every hobby site, every sporting event, every school, every church, every pub, every bar, heck - take out a newspaper ad. Joseph, until you make amends, you will be served.
Let me turn your original sculpt into an army!
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=87597
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Ironhide wrote:'No victim statements", means no one physically came into the station and filed a complaint. Internet complaints probably don't count in a legal since because anyone can be anyone on the internet. He's unemployed, doesn't have the merch, and all his victims are non-UK citizens, which equals out to nothing. 0+0=0.
Criminal record?
For what? Being arrested?

That doesn't get held against you.

He wasn't charged with anything, and definitely wasn't convicted... He got off "Scott-free." It will NOT affect any future attempts at employment.

...anger...
...level...
...rising...

This guy (the_trader) really gets me steamed.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
BrooklynMike ( 22 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by BrooklynMike »

Perhaps the problem here is the level of jurisdiction: the local police's interest only extends so far. Is there some higher level agency in the UK which is concerned with international / internet fraud?
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

Perhaps the problem here is the level of jurisdiction: the local police's interest only extends so far. Is there some higher level agency in the UK which is concerned with international / internet fraud?

You know I was actually thinking about this last night while cleaning my stormboyz.....I am wondering about scoutland yard's internet crime/fraud division...

Also, I was kind of on the same level as Trader X....I wonder if there is a Hull Local newspaper, and how much it would be to take out a week long Ad detailing his neferious activities along with contacting the local better buisness berou (can't spell).

Just make his life a living hell....Heck I would even contact a couple of the local churches and see if him and his mom are paritioners and if they are comment to the Paster how he should do a "Thou shalt not steal" and asking for forgiveness sermon.

Heck there were a couple guys in Texas that had to wear signs on a street corner as there punishment for stealing, and they said it was the worst thing to ever happen to them.....Don't discount the power of shame and embarrasment.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

http://www.justice.gov.uk/contactus.htm

Ministry of Justice: general queries email

Ministry of Justice
102 Petty France
London
SW1H 9AJ
United Kingdom

DX 117000 Selborne House

Telephone: +44 (0)20 3334 3555
Fax: +44 (0)20 3334 4455

Try this.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

@MM: I did say "hopefully". Nothing in the note says they didn't charge him, and he did freely admit to a crime.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

The thing is, like our own system, if they KNOW they're not going to prosecute you, they aren't typically going to charge you. It's a waste of time and money.

It's a chame, really.

Even if he was charged, it's not going to be anything that will really matter on his record unless he's convicted. Employers aren't allowed to ask what you've been ACCUSED of, only convicted.

Eric

Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I will ask if this is something that will go on his permenant record.

I think the officer i am talking to is off for a few days he hasnt answered a few emails.

Anyone know someone that lives in the UK from this board?
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

I honestly can't believe we're having a discussion about trying to 'ruin someone's life.'

As a side note, unrelated, it's entirely possible that the officer in question has better things to do.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

I believe he ruined his own life as soon as he decided to pursue these criminal acts. He may not have been convicted of a crime, but he did admit to it.

Return to “The Hall of Shame”