the_trader AKA Joe Bartle - Involved Parties Discussion

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Re: Taking action on the-trader - Involved Parties Discussion

Post by Ironhide »

JohnHwangBT wrote:Is anybody affected local?

If so, you can file a class action civil suit against him. The other parties can then act via the UK person.

Or maybe file small claims in the US, and then have the SOB served papers. Better yet, have the judgments served - at that point, it's not a question of taking him to court and prosecuting - it's a question of enforcing a court order.
Which could be enforced if he ever visited the United States or one of its territories. I believe it would pop up once he went through customs. Could be wrong though, don't know for sure.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I guess this Statement is different than the report that we filled out. It is a written statement detailing the entire situation. I have asked whether we could fill one of these out and whether it would add credence to our complaint.

I have also asked whether a criminal charge has been laid on his permenant record.

I also informed us that we are not primarily interested in repayment. We are more interested in him being charged with a criminal charge on his permanant record.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

You might want to check with everyone else on that last statement.

If *I* was involved, the criminal charge would be of secondary importance... ESPECIALLY if I was one of the "high dollar" victims.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I do agree that higher value guys do want there money, but as a group the Primary want is to get him charged. In private communication everyone did say that they wanted him charged. Myself I am one of the higher values, not $500 like TrooperPX, but $70 still hurts.

I did get some clarification from the Police.

Joesph Bartle has been charged with theft and does now have a permenant criminal charge on his record. The kind that stops him from being a cop or a lawyer and the kind that has to be disclosed on a resume.

So this is not just a slap on the wrist.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Nothing personal, but I don't think cop or lawyer were high on his potential career lists.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Well any "good" job requires you to disclose that you have a criminal record. Heck when I was 18 and worked at the grocery store, they asked. So he has screwed himself pretty bad at ever getting a good job.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

and so the cycle of crime continues.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

sleazy ( 22 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by sleazy »

Norseman wrote:Well any "good" job requires you to disclose that you have a criminal record. Heck when I was 18 and worked at the grocery store, they asked. So he has screwed himself pretty bad at ever getting a good job.

Sorry mate, a caution in the UK doesnt show on regular checks. Only very specific checks show a caution (like working for police). After a few years the caution is wiped clean too.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I don't believe that it was a mere caution The officer said he was charged with theft.
sleazy ( 22 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by sleazy »

yeah he was charged with theft and recieved a police caution.

He would have to go to court for it to be anything else.
silent_lemon ( 8 )
New Trader

Post by silent_lemon »

does anyone know yet exactly why he wasnt completely convicted of any of the charges laid against him? what legality was standing in our way?

i wonder if it would have been a different outcome if our total loss was many many thousands, instead of just 2-3 thousand. Or as the aforementioned question beckons, is there something that would even still, stand in our way of legally crucifying this chunky monkey..
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Well as it stands the loss that we submitted was this.

(norseman)
Payment of $70 vis Paypal to joe_n_lisa_bartle@hotmail.co.uk

(lordnorth)
Payment of $30 on 11/20/08 via PayPal (funded by a credit card). My PayPal account is lordnorth@yahoo.com.

(Valhallansurfer)
paid $80 to Joseph Bartle via Paypal in two installments.
#1 for $14.01 (9.10 GBP) on November 17, 2008
#2 for $66.04 (43.25 GBP) on November 20, 2008

(mathias)
$22.84
Method of Payment: Paypal - Credit Card

(eman1_2)
$15 through Paypal on November 18. I have placed a duspute with Paypal, but have not heard back on that - so no refund so far.

(arundel)
Sent $130 as a half payment to the Trader for a lot of IG tanks on November 12th.

silent_lemon
total cost to me 47.5GBP, arranged amount 45GBP(+2.5GBP for paypal fee)
it was from my visa on my paypal account.

(prefect)
Payed $30 via Paypal on Nov 18th, 2008

(Brooklin Mike)
Paid $100 USD for Chaos Models

(TrooperPX)
$580 total funds:
PayPal Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #) $190 on Nov. 25th
PayPal Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #) $200 on Nov. 14th
PayPal Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #) $190 on Nov. 12th

Charlie Torok
$50 USD
paypal to: joe_n_lisa_bartle@hotmail.co.uk

About $1200 in total.
This is all the feedback that I had to submit with contact info. If it was more MAYBE they would have done a bit more. But come on, this was more than a grand, how much more do you need.

He WAS charged with Theft. I guess it was the officer perogative whether nail him and to send him to jail or not and give him a warning and I guess he descided to give the warning. Disappointing and unbelieveable but that's what happened. Count it as as an expensive lesson.

I think UK is off my trade list from now on. Canada or US this guy would be currently sitting in a jail cell, doing 3-5.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Norseman wrote:

I think UK is off my trade list from now on. Canada or US this guy would be currently sitting in a jail cell, doing 3-5.

I highly doubt that.

But yeah, I won't do overseas trades either, and this is just one of the reasons.

LEGION ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Post by LEGION »

I will third that sentiment. Overseas traders will ship first and receive payment when I receive goods. No exceptions.

Don't you just love how the law is selectively enforced.
Get in the Game!
Irdion ( -4 )
New Trader

Post by Irdion »

I was in total agreement with the heart of this thread until this last bit here.

As a U.S. expat in the Netherlands, I find that kind of broad-brush mentality both small-minded and totally unreasonable. Marking all overseas traders as taboo is no mature way to deal with this. The police took no action because there was no way a criminal proceeding could have been carried out without victims present in the courtroom. It was economically irresponsible to convene the UK court for such a relatively small sum of money, especially if the aggreived lives across the ocean and cannot be reasonably expected to attend the trial.

EDIT:

Apoligies for grumbling, but I REALLY despise getting stuck into the same category as this lowlife. It's not fair to me, nor to any other individual living outside of the US.

Return to “The Hall of Shame”