After completing a deal how long must I wait for non-response/non-shipment before considering the deal terminated?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Diomede ( 64 )
BTown Regular

After completing a deal how long must I wait for non-response/non-shipment before considering the deal terminated?

Post by Diomede »

After completing a deal how long must I wait for non-response/non-shipment before considering the deal terminated? I am not out any goods as I was not to ship first, but I'm wondering how long I have to wait before I can safely offer my spoken for items up for trade again after reaching out to my trade partner and receiving no response.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: After completing a deal how long must I wait for non-response/non-shipment before considering the deal terminated?

Post by MagickalMemories »

There are no official RULES on this. In the end, it's up to you to decide for yourself what you're comfortable with.
That said, you CAN get a lot of good advice and guidance by doing precisely what you've done.

For me, it's something like this. Mind you, this is a guideline I follow, and every time might not be the same.

I wouldn't start this process until 2 or 3 days after the date I've been promised a tracking number (I ALWAYS ask that my partner send me the tracking number).

The first thing I do is look to make sure all my messages have been read. If they're in your Outbox, they're unread. In your Sent messages means they've been read. Then, I look to see when his last login is (you can find this in his profile).
This gives me an idea of whether they're logging into the site, and if they're just ignoring my messages. It might alter how I handle it. Frankly, that's just too much to get into here.
Once I know if I'm being ignored, or if he just hasn't logged in, I send a message. I point out what I've seen from above (logging in, read my message, etc). Then I ask if the trade is still on. I ask for a reply within 48 hours.
Typically, I'll give them 3 days, instead of the 2 days, unless I see they've read the PM. If they've read it, they get 2 days.
From there, I advise that, if I don't have the tracking # or package in 3 days, I'll consider the trade canceled, and that they've backed out. I also let them know that, if I receive the package AFTER that day, I'll hold it, unopened, until they pay for the return shipping. I mean, I'm not going to spend MY money for that person's screw up. Right?

That gives them about a week to reply to you, for the package to arrive... whatever.

If I do get to the point where the trade is canceled because I've considered them to have backed out in this manner, I leave a negative reference. I don't usually do it if the person reaches out, talks to me, etc. But, if they're ghosting me, I always leave that negative. Some think that negative is a bit drastic, but I see it as an important precautionary measure. It's a common tactic for scammers to arrange as many trades as possible and get as many people to agree to ship first, as quickly as possible. In some of these cases, if they've schmoozed people right, even those more experienced traders will go ahead and ship in what they assume is simultaneous fashion, giving the person the benefit of the doubt, though they initially said they wouldn't A lot of scammers realize this will happen, so it's in their benefit to move forward like nothing's up. Sometimes, they get a "freebie" amongst the rest of their "freebies."

I hope that helps.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Diomede ( 64 )
BTown Regular

Re: After completing a deal how long must I wait for non-response/non-shipment before considering the deal terminated?

Post by Diomede »

Thank you for your advice!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

No problem, man. I'm always glad to help.
Any time I can help the site and/or community, I'm glad to, man.

If anything hinky happens, just update the thread. We'll get to you ASAP.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”