General Trading Suggestions:

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

On packing.

Take the time to package your models carefully to avoid breakage in transit. It happens, we know it happens, and it's bloody irritating when it does happen.

Bubblewrap, foam peanuts, those air pocket things...hell, kturock even suggested ziplock baggies filled with spray foam insulation.

Don't just wrap a model in toilet paper and toss it in a box. No one likes opening a package they've been waiting for and finding out that everything is broken or damaged.

A few extra minutes taken to pack an item can prevent a lot of irritation later...not to mention negative feedback.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
simcoeguy ( 2 )
BTown Regular

Post by simcoeguy »

What about the payments though? Being new to BTown and having an active PayPal account from that other site like this, would this be a better method of payment as Paypal does cover faulty transactions I thought right?
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

Paypal can only recover what's sitting in a Paypal account. If you maintain a Zero balance, they can't get jack.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

Yeah, read up on the BTR forum for what happens when you pay by paypal. Paypal can't get you jack back if they don't have any money in paypal.

Credit card company will get your money back fast, but will piss paypal off.
kelanen ( 148 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: General Trading Suggestions:

Post by kelanen »

Hey all...

General question - obviously each state of progress beyond NIB decreases value, but is there any generally accepted proportional decrease on BT?

ie: If we say NIB/on-sprue all have value X, then clipped is 90% X, Primed 70% X, painted 30% X etc?

Just wondered if there were any accepted norms around here?
Jonathan

GAB (Good Against Bad Traders) Commander Kelanen
eBay Feedback (>1000) http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... llFeedback
http://www.gabtraders.com/cgi-bin/membe ... en.mem.txt

If I've not left you feedback please give me a nudge. I always leave feedback, and I ask for the same, but occasionally one can get lost in the shuffle!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Only what you set for yourself.
Bartertown does not set or attempt to influence any traders decision on the value of models.

I can tell you from experience that it varies from person to person. I suggest that you set the value to what YOU feel is fair and stick to it (relatively).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kelanen ( 148 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kelanen »

*nods* I was aware there were no rules on it...

I just wanted to know if there was an accepted norm. I'm just trying to balance a trade out, and want to make it fair for us both.
Jonathan

If I've not left you feedback please give me a nudge. I always leave feedback, and I ask for the same, but occasionally one can get lost in the shuffle!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Here is my "Honest-to-God" suggestion;

Decide what each condition is worth to YOU in relation to retail pricing. When you make your offer, tell the other trader:

I value (condition a) at (percentage a).
I value (condition b) at (percentage b).
I value (condition c) at (percentage c).
(etc)

Then go on to list each item or lot, their condition, the retail price and your offer for their value.

Any reasonable trader, regardless of experience, will look at the list and decide what he thinks of it. Some will agree, some will think that you're not giving them a good enough dea and others (like myself) will tell you if they think that you're not giving YOURSELF a good enough deal.

As the last type is relatively rare, I suggest that you simply make the offer based on what YOU are willing to trade the minis at a value of.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kelanen ( 148 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kelanen »

...and indeed, that is what I already did.

I'm very aware how to fulfill my needs, the question was just if BT had any norms, if so I'd try and fall in line with them - it does in other areas like Refs for example.

But thanks for the feedback all.
Jonathan

JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

OK, I'll give you an idea of how I personally view things, but as always, YMMV...

I generally prefer to trade like for like, such as NIB for NIB. This allows me to trade equivalent retail, as both sides would have to make the same adjustments for condition.

If I have to do a mixed trade or buy, I value stuff like this:
- Warstore = NIB 20% off retail with fixed $5 shipping and credit card protection
- NIB / NOS = 25% to 30% below retail
- painted metal = 30% to 40% off retail, because stripping metal is easy
- painted plastic = 40% to 60% off retail, because stripping plastic is a PITA
I generally prefer not to deal with painted plastic anymore, as the aggravation and low valuation makes it easier to just buy new.

As always, things will vary somewhat on a deal-by-deal basis, and I may make exceptions depending on the size of the deal, or the desirableness, etc..

Hope this helps...
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
kelanen ( 148 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kelanen »

*ponders* Yeah I hadn't considered probs stripping plastic - last time I stripped stuff I was in school, and there were no plastics (actually there were three... the drastik plastik orcs, psychostyrene dwarves, and the marine box set).

I tend to go with what was in the above post. Not actually paying retail, but for comparison against retail. In realistic terms I never get anything painted - even propainted it won't match what I've got. I'll take up to primed if I'm willing to take a leap on clipping, construction and priming done well (backfired once before!), but otherwise, it's not worth the hassle IMO.
Jonathan

Massawyrm ( 406 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Massawyrm »

Know the true value of your items!

The biggest mistake I see around here is folks Overestimating the worth of their items or underestimating the value of their trading partner's items. This is an easy, surefire way to turn off a prospective trader or convince him that you aren't very experienced or knowledgeable about the product.

-Overestimation. Know the value of what you are selling/trading. If it's Forge World, find the exchange rates. I recently saw someone post an item that they valued at $230 US - but due to the drop in the Pound over the last year, the item is actually retailing for $180 US. That's a substantial difference and will probably chase away prospective buyers looking for a bargain - especially if you're looking for a cash deal. And just because you saw something go for $290 on Ebay, doesn't mean someone will pay that here.

-Underestimation. While the above is true, you have to be very careful about how you value other people's items. Keep in mind that most traders would like to get the value in trade what they paid for an item. Just because you can find places online offering said item for cheaper doesn't mean that's what it is worth. Try to know/find the MSRP of what you are trading for. An MSRP for MSRP trade is considered the ideal by most folks around here (barring gleefully lopsided deals like someone trading you something for almost nothing just because they want it gone today.) Just because Boardgamegeek has a new copy of an $80 game for sale for $40 doesn't mean that's what it's worth in trade. When BGG starts taking half painted OOP Land Raiders instead of money, let me know. Until then, that's what this place is for. And here, most folks consider an $80 game worth $80 of models.

Know your army.

You are on a computer with an internet connection as we speak. That means you have access to Google. Use it. Don't string someone along for a couple of days saying you want to play Nidzilla only to rebuff their offer of 5 Carnifexes because you don't play apocalypse and won't need 5 Carnis...they will not take you seriously.

Also, if the item you're asking about is a collectors item or extremely rare, you'll want to know that. Many people will be willing to hold onto that space marine that sold for $15 because it is a Games Day 2000 mini valued at $80. Researching what you're trading for/buying will help you avoid insulting a potential partner.

Learn the value of a well constructed, friendly PM.

Nothing sends up a red flag about a trade like receiving a PM that reads like it came from an 8 year old. Don't fire these things off. Take your time - this is a business transaction. Choose your words carefully as to come across as both serious and friendly. Don't be afraid to toss in the occasional emoticon to let your trading partner know that you're happy with the way things are going. If someone knows their trading partner is happy, unstressed and excited about the trade, it eases their own potential worries.

A pm without Capital letters, punctuation or halfway decent grammar makes one wonder how you're going to find the post office in a timely manner if you can't find the "." on the keyboard in front of you. Not saying everything has to be spellchecked and perfect - but if you read like an adult, you'll most likely be treated like one.

Try to end PMs with a question or query to put the ball back in the court of the other trader - that is if you want a response. When someone makes an offer with their address and you accept the trade, be sure to toss in an "Unless there are any other details, I'll ship this out," in order to clear up any last minute details. More communication is always better than less.

Always use the address provided in PMs or e-mails!

Do not rely upon paypal to print your shipping label for you. Outside sources can have incorrect or old information that may be out of the control of your trading partner. Nothing will piss you off more than having to ship something twice because you had your item returned due to not double checking the address. If it gets sent to the wrong place, make sure it is their fault and not yours - that way they can't be mad at you and they'll be responsible for the double shipping.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

Know what is allowed to be mailed!

Sometimes there is a question about what is legal to mail in country, and across borders.

This Link
http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immctry.htm

Helps you make better and more informed decisions about that.

Think you might be defrauded and ripped off thru the mail?

USPS Mail Fraud
http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

FBI Internet Fraud Center
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

I don't think I've seen this in here yet, so....

Know what country your trade partner is in, and what said country's customs practices are.

Do not withhold what country you are in until you exchange shipping addresses. Some would constitute it as a deal breaker if you gave them an address somewhere in the darkest jungles of Africa.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
kingpin ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by kingpin »

I'd like to suggest that it be made easier to check a person's "rating" whatever that is. I tried to look up someone who is negotiating with me, but it kept asking for his real name. I didn't know his real name, only his user name. Also, what is a rating based on? How is it calculated?

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”