questions about stl trades

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

VerizonWired ( 70 )
Journeyman Trader

questions about stl trades

Post by VerizonWired »

Sorry, not really sure where to put thus or whom to ask. I also figured it'd be good for people to openly see.

Ok my understanding:
Hardware for hardware = good
Prints for prints = good
Hardware for prints = good
Prints for Hardware = good
Correct?

Stl file trades is my question.
Some have the no distribution disclosure when you buy them. I understand that's a not tradable stl file.
What if you had purchased the licensing? IE 3DBreed let's you purchase for 200$ a year to sell the printed items. Those would fall under print for print etc. But I don't recall anything about trading the stl file in their disclosure. Would that be a breach of copyright if you purchased the file, there is nothing about trading the file, only about selling the prints? Alot of the stl files that you purchase have a don't make an tsy store with our prints unless you pay us for that too.

Ok just read 3DBreed terms and conditions. Can't redistribute the stl file, but let's say it isn't in there at time of trade. Is it ok?
Dock Ah Dock Ah
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Re: questions about stl trades

Post by YoungWolf777 »

That's a very fine hair to split. Out of respect for the sculptors I would never trade files like that even if there was that very small legal loophole. ALL sculptors that sell their STLs specify for personal use only. Personal use doesn't include printing and selling, reselling the files, etc. Which is why it costs much more for a commercial license to legally print STLs for sale.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

This is a trade forum, so it's really not appropriate here.
I'll move it to the Have Questions forum, then reply.,

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

"Prints for Prints" could be a no-go, too, depending on the terms that the creator has specified, for what it's worth.

Trading STL for STL?
As YW said, it's a fine hair to split. You're on really shaky ground.
If you OWN the actual STL file - you're the creator, bought *all* rights to it, etc., and you're trading for a file that's in the same situation, then it's a no-brainer. Totally allowed.
Just because the creator didn't specify, though, that doesn't mean you have that right. Rights tend to be granted (speaking by the law) by default, at whatever degree the law allows, without a creator specifically claiming them. So, our initial reaction would likely* be "no."

*note re" "likely."
This isn't a topic we've specifically discussed amongst staff. But i can tell you that we lean towards protecting the IP owner by default,

What I'd presume would happen would be that anyone asking to trade an STL file they have for a different one would have their ad remove(temporarily, at best) and would get a PM. They'd have to offer proof that the STL was their personal property OR that they had the right to trade it, as granted by the file creator.

That said, if you had a FREE file from Thingiverse (or wherever)and wanted to trade it for another file that was free from Thingiverse (or wherever), I wouldn't see a problem with it off-hand. Then again, why not just download the free file from Thingiverse, then? Right?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”