New Site Weirdness

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Re: New Site Weirdness

Post by Plarz »

I removed him from all groups and re-added him to the default user's group and when I test out his permissions, I can see the advertiser forum now.

So, hopefully that fixes it. It's stupid that we have to "turn it off and on again" for things as critical as permissions.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Thanks! I’ll let him know.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

Just checking in to see if there has been any forward progress on sorting out the search function on the site to fix the 504 gateway timeout. Thanks!
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Doubtful.
The fix would have to come from phpbb or Plarz would have to devote an unknown # of hours into rewriting their code.
I'm not thinking he knows how much time that would be and, if so, I doubt that he'd have enough spare time to devote to making those changes.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Nubster ( 28 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Nubster »

Pretty frustrating to not have a search function.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Nubster wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 pm
As much as it would be nice, you can use 'site:bartertown.com' on google and get almost as good results. For example, results from the last 30 minutes or so.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Nubster wrote:
Well, you get what you pay for, so...

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

haha go ahead and remove if you dont want it here, but this is what I thought of immediately:

Nubster ( 28 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Nubster »

pretre wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 pm
Nubster wrote:
As much as it would be nice, you can use 'site:bartertown.com' on google and get almost as good results. For example, results from the last 30 minutes or so.
Thanks...that's useful unlike the garbage post below...

MagickalMemories wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 pm
Nubster wrote:
Well, you get what you pay for, so...
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Nubster... I'm going to go ahead and address something here and now.
You reported my post that you quoted above, with the following message
Great f*cking attitude. Doesn't change the fact that out of more than a dozen forums I'm part of, this is the only one that can't make a simple search function work.
(Note to all: The asterisk is my own, and is edited for content)

Then, you're going to try to publicly lambast me over that post?
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Bad decision.

My GARBAGE post? It's anything but.
How much do YOU know about fixing search functions?
How much do YOU know about running a website?

See, I'm a grown-ass man who works upwards of 50 hours a week in a real life job.
I commute 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
That's over 57 hours a week I devote to REAL LIFE work.
I'm a husband and father. I spend quality time with my wife and kids Every. Damned. Day.
I do the grocery shopping for my family. I cook 90% of the meals.
I go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week.
I'm enrolled, FULL TIME, in college for a CIS degree with a Data Analytics specialization.

In addition to all those things that I do for myself and my family, I visit THIS site. Daily.
I spend 20 to 30 hours A WEEK on here, working on mundane tasks, messages, and reports. I actively communicate with and recruit Advertisers as their main point of contact, because I WANT to keep them happy.
Why do I want to keep them happy? Because our advertisers PAY MONEY to advertise with us. You see, though the site is free TO USE, it's is most certainly not free TO OPERATE. So, I work my ass off to ensure we have enough income to keep this place in operation.
I also actively promote our Bartertown Plus program, where our members give us money for not much more than appreciation. Sure. They get a couple extra forums, a bit more leeway on posting frequency, and a nifty little title... but they're doing it TO SUPPORT OUR SITE. And you know what? We've got enough coming in to keep the proverbial lights on.
In real life, on Facebook, and on other trading forums, I extol the benefits of this place.

Oh, yeah... and I (like EVERY other staff member) do this sh*t for FREE. Gratis. No-charge. Voluntarily.
We do it because we are part of this COMMUNITY, and we like it here. We appreciate the environment we have here, and this is OUR way of contributing.
What's YOURS?

But we get to hear, on a regular basis, complaints from people like you, who are infrequent -at best- visitors.
Hell, people who treat our staff in the manner you've acted have actually had staff members decide the stress wasn't worth it and step down. Literally.

You?
You've been here almost 3 years.
You have only 8 verifiable trades under your belt.
Your last verifiable trade was over a year ago.
You have 112 posts in that time. One of those posts was your first "required" post. Two of them were in this forum. One was an ad that we had to remove because you posted it where it didn't belong. So, of your 112 posts, 109 have been trade ads or replies to trade ads. That's it.
You contribute nothing to Bartertown to help keep us running. You don't participate in the discussions that help us form the site to best suit our members. You take, but do not give.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't hold it against you, the way you use BTown. Not a bit. We have a plethora of Users just like that. I have ZERO issues with that.

But you're going to come on here and browbeat us with a complaint that you'd KNOW was WHOLLY unnecessary if (a) you bothered to read the thread you're posting in or (b) knew how to use Google? Sorry, pal. I'm not just going to sit by and not poke right back at you. MY post was no less GARBAGE than YOUR OWN.

If you want to contribute your time, talent, efforts, finances and/or constructive input to help make BTown a better place, then that's awesome. Welcome! Otherwise, if you hate the way we do things here, there are TONS of Facebook trade groups; there are other trade sites; there are plenty of gaming discussion forums with minor trade forums. You're welcome to check out any and all of those to see how they compare to us... See, there's a reason that we're the oldest site online that's 100% focused on trading gaming items. None of the others have the history we do. There's a reason we're still online while so many other, newer sites have repeatedly fallen by the wayside.

So, yeah. Our search function doesn't work. That has been apparent, since myriad other people mentioned it long before you. Unless you want to contribute the funds needed to hire someone to spend the HOURS needed to fix it, you're just going to have to deal with it like the rest of us and actually read the titles of ads that people post & check out any promising leads.

On a final note, this isn't a "whine and complain" thread. This thread, as clearly explained in the first post, is a place to report problems and anomalies. It's a place to ASK QUESTIONS.

Want to whine? Get some cheese to go with it, and have a party with some friends.

Eric

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

If you go into the sub-forum and search, it works. Or at least it does for me.

Ryan
Search1.JPG
Search2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Have a customer who says he is not authorized for the advertiser sub forum

UN Marnus
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Can I have someone check the search function? It is working for me, but would like a member of the community (non staff) to test.

Thanks,

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I was able to search.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Clicked my banner in the header and:

"
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/lib/OA/Dal/Delivery/mysql.php:53 Stack trace: #0 /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/lib/OA/Dal/Delivery/mysql.php(177): OA_Dal_Delivery_connect('rawDatabase') #1 /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/lib/OA/Dal/Delivery/mysql.php(165): OX_bucket_prepareUpdateQuery('rv_data_bkt_c', Array, true, 'count') #2 /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/var/cache/www.bartertown.com_mergedDeliveryFunctions.php(103): OX_bucket_updateTable('data_bkt_c', Array) #3 /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/www/delivery/ck.php(2780): Plugin_deliveryLog_oxLogClick_logClick_Delivery_logClick(20, 1, true) #4 /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/www/delivery/ck.php(2153): OX_Delivery_Common_hook('logClick', Array) #5 /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/www/delivery/ck.php(3271): MAX_Delivery_log_logAdClick(20, 1) #6 {main} thrown in /home/barterto/public_html/mkt/lib/OA/Dal/Delivery/mysql.php on line 53
"

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”