New thoughts and rules for the painting contests???

Chop early, view often! Painting, Converting, and other neat things!

Moderator: Moderators

CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

New thoughts and rules for the painting contests???

Post by CMSheats »

Hello all!

So I have noticed the contests have been getting smaller and smaller as they progress...

I recently talked this over with my brother, (The same guy that used to run all the old painting contests) And he said that I should try hosting the contests like they used to work, and that would probably get more people involved.

I found his old threads, and copied the rules that he used to have. And looking back at them, there were some AMAZING models, and lots of them!

Here are the rules.... (A bit lengthy I know... :wink: )
1. People from Bartertown send pictures of 1-4 models they have to me.(The details on the restrictions for models is below)
2. I will chose and make a list of about 20 and post them here
3. Painters will then pick models to paint and pm me with their address
4. I will distribute address and the owner of the model will ship it to the painter
5. Painters will then have 2 weeks to paint them
6. Painters will take pictures of their painted models and send them to me.
7. Painters will then ship there model back to the owner.
8. I will list a poll(with the help of the friendly mods :-D ) here and people will vote on which they think is best.
9. Any model owner who has had his model painted and the pics uploaded in the poll will send five dollars to me though PayPal
10. The top three painters will win a cash prize.

Below are some explained details and rules.

1. The entry charge to the contest will be five dollars a model. Note you only have to pay this if yours gets picked and painted and the pics are uploaded. Having your picture up for selection is free. The money will be paid to me though PayPay and will be the prize money at the end.

2. Unless the owner says otherwise painters can do anything you want to the plastic models(chainsaws, Zombie ect.)

3. Shipping costs for the last one was about 1.29$ so if you want to enter a model you can expect to pay about that much.

3. Any painter may request up to three models(unless not all of them are requested then you can take as many as you dare)

4. The owner of the model will pay for shipping his way and the painter will pay for shipping his way.

5. Any person out side the U.S. needs to say so upfront. If they are entering a model then I will list their country besides their model. If they want to paint a model I'll just ask the models owner if they would be willing. If the person out side the U.S. wants to offer to pay shipping both
ways then that would be great.

6. When the painters take a picture of their model they need to pm me with a name for it.

7 All models get three shots upload, Front, Back, Specialty(something neat or cool about the model).

8. If you(a painter) get busy and fail to paint your model you will be required to pay the owner what he paid to ship it to you.(and you still have to ship it back).

9. Dioramas with other infantry models are allowed. No cavalry, monsters or anything that’s to much bigger then standard infantry though. And you can only use models in the contest. Note that unless the owner has said that you can do whatever you want with the model you should make it so the model can come off of the diorama.

10. All models must be around warhammer size, and all models must be generally around infantry size. Banner bearers and hero's are allowed but no tanks, cavalry or huge monsters. If the model costs more then 30 dollars it probably wont work.

11. You can offer models and go in as a painter. But you may not paint and enter your own models.

Other random notes and bits of information.

1. The owner of the model may offer to send money with the model for the painters shipping. Whether or not he offers this will be listed by the models picture.

2. Some of the people who are entering their models to be painted may want them to match their army or be painted along a certain. If you(the owner of the model) want a specific style then send me the description and I'll post it with the models picture. If just want to list a picture of how you would like it painted/based then you can send it to me and I'll upload it. Then I'll post a link next to the models description. If painters are interested in that model they can just click on the link. Please don't be too restrictive though because the painter may not use games workshop's paints and we have to leave some room for creativity(otherwise it's no fun).

4. Here's how the payment will work, if your model is picked then you will mail the package to the painter. If your model is picked and painted you will send five dollars to me though PayPal. When a winner is picked then I'll then distribute the prizes. Note that you will not have to pay the five dollars until the models are listed. Then I'll start collecting the money and by the time there's a winner I should have it all together and can send it right out to the winners. How much the prizes are will depend on how many people have models painted.

5. And the owner will also have the choice to post request a gloss coat, matte coate, none.

6. If a painter has less than ten feedback I will tell the owner so and it will be his choice to do so or not.
What do you guys think? I think it is a solid system. People get their models painted, and the painters get their names out there, and win cash prizes.

I would appreciate thoughts and comments on these rules...

Thank you all for reading all this, and I will be hosting the next contest probably in January.. (I will let the holidays blow over before I host another one... ;)

Chris
Last edited by CMSheats on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
LunaticDreams ( 64 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: New thoughts and rules for the painting contests???

Post by LunaticDreams »

could be interesting actually. got a new camera so you can see my work actually :P
swmalone ( 30 )
BTown Regular

Post by swmalone »

I was looking through the rules and I like it as an idea for one type of painting contest, but what about people that just enjoy painting their own models and would like to be able to enter a contest? I am new to the contests on the site but came across this post and just thought I would add my concern. If I am missing the entire point of the contests just let me know.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

but what about people that just enjoy painting their own models and would like to be able to enter a contest? I am new to the contests on the site but came across this post and just thought I would add my concern. If I am missing the entire point of the contests just let me know.
I was thinking about this as well. And here is what I came up with...
People that enter their own models can still take part in the contest, just they will not receive any of the prizes. (Even if they place in the top 3)
Because the people that are wanting to put their model(s) up to be painted pay a $5 fee, and then they get a nicely painted model when everything is said and done.
Now, the painters that chose from one of the models submitted will be able to have a shot at claiming a cash prize. But to have someone that is painting one of their own models win the contest, and therefore take the prize kinda seems a little unfair. (Sense it was not one of the models that was submitted at a $5 fee...)

Does that make sense?

I would love feedback from you painters, and all you people that would want to submit your model(s) to be painted! PLEASE post and let me know what you guys are thinking!

Thanks!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
Morinsane ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Post by Morinsane »

How about a separate "Amateur" contest, where people paint their own for like a $1 or $2 entry fee for perhaps a prize of a model? or hobby supplies?
Owed References from: Crusader85
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Well that is what we have been doing. Were there is no entry fee, people can paint whatever they want, and a sponcer gives away prizes.

I was just hoping for a new way to bring in more people to the contests... but it does not seem to be to popular. XD

Maybe we should try it once this way, and just see how it works out. Again, I am looking for any thoughts! Please post if you think this new rule set would be better or worse for future contests. (And if you would be interested in joining either way... ;) )

Thanks!

Chris
LunaticDreams ( 64 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by LunaticDreams »

i say we try it.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

That sounds good to me! I will get ready to host the next contest after Christmas has blown over.

Thanks!

Chris
Dimes ( 46 )
Trade Novice

Post by Dimes »

Honestly, if someone else is is giving me models to paint I would get in on this pretty much every time.
travis_b7 ( 238 )
Resident Trader

Post by travis_b7 »

I'd say limit the number of contests held each year. It looks like quite a few are pumped out constantly, so they'll lose their novelty. Imagine having 15 Super Bowl games every year - no one would pay $3 million for a 30 second commercial spot. I think limiting it to 3 or 4 a year and HEAVILY publicizing it through the site. Even once a year, have several sponsors offer prizes in different categories similar to the Golden Daemon competitions.

I don't like the idea of myself offering a model to be painted by another member of the board so they could win a competition. If I'm painting a model, I'm keeping it. I want to display it, use it, whatever. Otherwise, I'd offer painting services to others for a fee. Let members paint their own models, for free (no entry fee), and limit it to once or twice (not too much more) a year. That way more people can compete, bigger prizes could be offered (someone will give a $50 prize once rather than 10 $5 prizes throughout the year), and the competition will mean more. Throw in a signature banner for the winner each year for bragging rights.

What it seems these trial rules are encouraging is basically allowing painters for hire get some free advertising (in the form of other's models) while 20 or so people pay $5 each to have their model painted. I understand the $5 covers prizes, but it becomes more of a poker run or raffle at this point. The point of hosting the competition as a sponsor is to let the community know the sponsor is active among them, thus attracting customers.

I'd recommend one or two painting competitions per year (one freestyle, and one themed), and a similar number of conversion competitions with NO painting allowed (freestyle and themed). Some people are gods when it comes to conversions, but they can barely prime their models...

Also, not a stab at any painters-for-hire, but offering your services as a prize to a painting competition never makes much sense. People enter the competition because they WANT to paint their own models.
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

I think that whoever runs the contest should also keep track of the final resolution. If a painter fails on their commitment to at least return the model, painted or unpainted, it gets submitted as a bad trader report and a negative feedback left. Otherwise, you could have scammers volunteer and then just keep whatever models.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

I think that whoever runs the contest should also keep track of the final resolution. If a painter fails on their commitment to at least return the model, painted or unpainted, it gets submitted as a bad trader report and a negative feedback left. Otherwise, you could have scammers volunteer and then just keep whatever models.
Definitely. This is what my brother did, and I was expecting to keep track of everything as well. ;) But who would steal just one model? Lol... I guess there are those crazys out there. :lol:
I'd say limit the number of contests held each year. It looks like quite a few are pumped out constantly, so they'll lose their novelty. Imagine having 15 Super Bowl games every year - no one would pay $3 million for a 30 second commercial spot. I think limiting it to 3 or 4 a year and HEAVILY publicizing it through the site. Even once a year, have several sponsors offer prizes in different categories similar to the Golden Daemon competitions.
I understand where you are coming from with this. And that is an idea to definitely consider.
I don't like the idea of myself offering a model to be painted by another member of the board so they could win a competition. If I'm painting a model, I'm keeping it. I want to display it, use it, whatever. Otherwise, I'd offer painting services to others for a fee. Let members paint their own models, for free (no entry fee), and limit it to once or twice (not too much more) a year. That way more people can compete, bigger prizes could be offered (someone will give a $50 prize once rather than 10 $5 prizes throughout the year), and the competition will mean more. Throw in a signature banner for the winner each year for bragging rights.
This makes sense as well. But are you saying people would just make donations to the prize? I don't quiet understand the prize part of that.
What it seems these trial rules are encouraging is basically allowing painters for hire get some free advertising (in the form of other's models) while 20 or so people pay $5 each to have their model painted. I understand the $5 covers prizes, but it becomes more of a poker run or raffle at this point. The point of hosting the competition as a sponsor is to let the community know the sponsor is active among them, thus attracting customers.
Yes, I believe that is why the contests where originally started. (Free advertising for you while you paint somebody elses models and win money.. ;) )
I'd recommend one or two painting competitions per year (one freestyle, and one themed), and a similar number of conversion competitions with NO painting allowed (freestyle and themed). Some people are gods when it comes to conversions, but they can barely prime their models...
Also, not a stab at any painters-for-hire, but offering your services as a prize to a painting competition never makes much sense. People enter the competition because they WANT to paint their own models.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you Travis for the comments, and you to Imaginos! And hopefully we will get this figured out soon. ;) And comment with ideas/comments people!!!

Chris
travis_b7 ( 238 )
Resident Trader

Post by travis_b7 »

CMSheats wrote:
This makes sense as well. But are you saying people would just make donations to the prize? I don't quiet understand the prize part of that.
Realized that was kind of a muddy statement. I was thinking the sponsors (advertisers, individuals, whomever sponsors the contest) would be more willing to offer a single big prize each year rather than several small prizes. It is a weird mental thing.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Oh ok, that makes sense. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. And that is a good idea.. but if they are putting that money into it and getting nothing back... it just seems like it would have to be a HUGE contest for someone to do that.

Chris
Dimes ( 46 )
Trade Novice

Post by Dimes »

I don't know if non-members can currently view this page but this is probably the best painting contest I've seen:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3472649

Something Awful runs year long painting contests with themes each month, smaller prizes each month and each quarter (think $10-$15), and large ($100-$200) prizes at the end of the year. It's a pretty great contest, but you would have to contact the guy who runs it because I'm sure it take a TON of legwork. Usually has about 50-100 people participating each month.

Return to “Bartertown Contests”