Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Chop early, view often! Painting, Converting, and other neat things!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by HarlequinZero » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:42 am

@MEDEVL: I was just expressing a bit of sorrow (pun intended) that many of the people who signed up didn't participate for whatever reason.
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.

User avatar
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by HarlequinZero » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:55 am

So, for the more curious out there, I'll tell you what the prize was. What s_o_r_r_o_w won for himself was an opportunity to join the Bartertown Watch. We were really impressed with the quality of his entry so we asked him to join up.

Yes, essentially the contest was an elaborate recruiting drive in disguise. We, the staff, decided it would be interesting to see how you guys would respond if YOU were given the power to mediate. While turnout was unfortunately light, we were very pleased with the calibre of the responses we received. For those of you who played along but didn't win, thank you for your participation. Who knows, maybe in the future you'll find an invitation in YOUR mailbox.

For now, though, please congratulate s_o_r_r_o_w and don't be too harsh on him while he's learning the ropes. :wink:

-HZ
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.

User avatar
bluemeenie ( 110 )
Expert Trader
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by bluemeenie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:09 am

now that I know the prize I am very glad I didn't have the time to finish the responses that I started (not that I was in the running even tbh ;) )



if I had i would have definitely had to turn the prize down :(
Image

User avatar
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by HarlequinZero » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:27 am

bluemeenie wrote:now that I know the prize I am very glad I didn't have the time to finish the responses that I started (not that I was in the running even tbh ;) )
Well, I had planned for that contingency. When I said I had limited edition figs in the first post that wasn't a lie. In case of the winner turning it down I was going to let them take a single pick from a selection of Games Day models I have duplicates of. (I have an extensive collection of limited figs. Mostly because I convince myself I WILL paint them someday, not because I'm a hoarder. :oops: ) So don't go feeling too good about not finishing. :wink:

-HZ
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.

User avatar
EZ mac ( 164 )
Expert Trader
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Monterey, California
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by EZ mac » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 am

Personally I did not really understand what you guys were looking for on a response just because the info on the thread expanded after the first few posts. I had sent my entry thinking you were expecting us to ask info then give a entry answer which was to be the final answer. My own entry was given on the info at the time.

I personally could not get that attached to a fake report about fake people with life happening.

I realize that by saying that I can't get into a fake report kind of would make you say that I could not take a real BTR seriously but there really is a diference to a real one to a fake one.

But yeah congrats S_O_R_R_O_W (yeah it does suck to type especially on iPhone)
Lowest rating ships first even from payments
40k is NOT chess! It's yatzee... Roll more dice and roll higher and you win!
Leave feedback. It helps build the BT community. It's the polite thing to do. If I owe you a ref - please PM with details so I can fix that oversight.

User avatar
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:28 am
Location: SoCal, USA!

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by JohnHwangBT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 pm

HarlequinZero wrote:We, the staff, decided it would be interesting to see how you guys would respond if YOU were given the power to mediate. While turnout was unfortunately light,

-HZ
Until the announcement today, I wasn't aware of the contest at all (not that I would have necessarily entered).

Anyhow, congrats to sorrow!
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!

Forsaken Poptart ( 546 )
Millenium Trader
Posts: 1566
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:26 am
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by Forsaken Poptart » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm going to basically agree with EZ mac, the terms felt a little ambiguous- in the future, maybe spell out what you're looking for in a response a bit more. Overall, though, this was a fun contest and I'm pleased to have had a shot!
Since there were only 5 of us, could we get some C&C on our entries? :) I'd be curious to see what the staff thought, if they're ok with making it public.
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, bennythejew, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.

User avatar
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada / US PO Box

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:03 pm

HarlequinZero wrote:When I said I had limited edition figs in the first post that wasn't a lie. In case of the winner turning it down I was going to let them take a single pick from a selection of Games Day models I have duplicates of.
Oy! So instead of LE figs, I get a lifetime sentence of heachaches and servitude?

:)
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary

User avatar
EZ mac ( 164 )
Expert Trader
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Monterey, California
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by EZ mac » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:11 pm

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:
HarlequinZero wrote:When I said I had limited edition figs in the first post that wasn't a lie. In case of the winner turning it down I was going to let them take a single pick from a selection of Games Day models I have duplicates of.
Oy! So instead of LE figs, I get a lifetime sentence of heachaches and servitude?

:)
That and you will give everyone else a headace by us having to write out that screen name of yours! :-P

Oh and you are green now also :-D
Lowest rating ships first even from payments
40k is NOT chess! It's yatzee... Roll more dice and roll higher and you win!
Leave feedback. It helps build the BT community. It's the polite thing to do. If I owe you a ref - please PM with details so I can fix that oversight.

User avatar
bluemeenie ( 110 )
Expert Trader
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by bluemeenie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Since there were only 5 of us, could we get some C&C on our entries? :) I'd be curious to see what the staff thought, if they're ok with making it public.

i'd just like to know i was on the right track before RL took over.
Image

User avatar
Stanislav ( 1086 )
Millenium Trader
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by Stanislav » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:29 am

Not that it matters, but when I see the "unread" symbol in the forums, this is one I hardly ever check. In times past, it was used for the conversion contests, and since I don't personally do conversions, I skipped past it.
I said "not that it matters" meaning even though I would have participated, I wouldn't have accepted the title or job. Why? Well, because I know that the staff here has to have the utmost patience in dealing with some individuals, and I am so thankful for the job that they do. I know however, that I am a hothead, and even if my responses would have been acceptable, I know I wouldn't have been able to maintain that level of composure as a staff member.
I also find it ridiculous that one of the participants resorted to blackmailing me so that I would remove him from my Do Not Trade List (this was before the DNTL came under such fire that it did and was afterwards abolished with extreme prejudice) a while ago. Don't get me wrong, I think it is good that the lists are gone and was able to see the point after so much opposition was voiced). The person saw that I had put him in my DNTL, and decided to add me to his even though, and he admitted, I had never done anything to him. It was purely vindictive. Since then, we just don't deal with each other at all, which is fine and the way it should have been done to begin with. Hindsight is always so much clearer. Maybe people do change.
Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for s_o_r_r_o_w. I am much better off myself in a "help the mods" role without any position. In fact, I enjoy it.

Congrats again.
Lower rating? I ask that you ship first. Also, if I offer a stupidly good deal and you try to negotiate even lower...don't call it bad communication that you didn't get a reply. I deleted the message.

Forsaken Poptart ( 546 )
Millenium Trader
Posts: 1566
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:26 am
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by Forsaken Poptart » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Blackmailing...?
You put me in your "Do Not Trade" list for not responding to a message you sent on a different site. Based on our discussions, you feel that's a bad way to do business, and from there-on chose to include me on your "Do not trade" list. Fine by me.

...but I think I should also get a say, no?

I put you on mine (AFTER I was included in yours) because I think declining any future trades based on one missed message is a poor way to do business, and I found you to be a bit hot-headed and a little rude. If it works for you, and it clearly does based on your trade rating, more power to you, but I think it's a mistake. my opinion- Nothing more.

Each of us has our opinion, be it right or wrong, but that can hardly be considered blackmail. If anything, it's both of us getting pissed off because we don't like having our names dragged through the mud, which, coincidentally, is the entire reason I'm responding to your post in the first place.
We don't deal, which is cool with me and presumably with you, and agree that having the lists posted was, by all accounts a mistake, but I would ask that we let the past be in the past, and that the facts be represented accurately, or at least from two different sides.

Basically, I really have no issue with you, so why keep bringing it up?
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, bennythejew, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.

User avatar
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Contact:

Re: Fictitious BTR Contest Main Thread

Post by HarlequinZero » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:56 pm

And the thread is closed! Thanks everyone for participating!

If you want to do more sniping please do it in PMs!
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.

Locked

Return to “Bartertown Contests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests