New Contest Details Revealed *contestant names revealed!*

Chop early, view often! Painting, Converting, and other neat things!

Moderator: Moderators

HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

New Contest Details Revealed *contestant names revealed!*

Post by HarlequinZero »

Hello all,

As porkuslime posted a few days back we are having a new contest. This contest is unlike anything we've done in the past. This contest will not be about painting, modeling or any other aspect of gaming. This contest is about using your brains and people skills. Now, before I go divulging the details, let me put up one important bit of information. The contest will be limited to 12 participants. So far I've had 14 entrants. The reason is that I'm going to be running the contset solo for the most part and trying to juggle even 12 of you is going to be interesting. This doesn't mean others can't sign up and have a shot at the game, but it DOES mean that there will be pruning. (Probably random, maybe with a leaning towards the early adopters for having the [lack of?] sense to jump in with both feet.) If any of you who signed up early realise this isn't something you want to do it would be helpful if you would have the grace to bow out so others can take a shot. I'll be leaving registration open for TWO MORE DAYS for those of you who, after reading the details below, decide you'd like to take a shot at getting into the contest. If you want to sign up you must PM me directly.

Ok, so boring administration stuff out of the way, onto the details.

The contest, in essence, is a chance to act like a staff member for a day. We've developed a hypothetical bad trader report and we'd like you to take a crack at mediating the dispute between the two fictitious users. After the last two days of sign ups are over the other staff and I will whittle the contestants down to the magic number of twelve. (No, we don't take bribes. :wink: ) Then I'll post the initial BTR post in here in a seperate thread for all the contestants to take a crack at. However, just like with a real BTR, this will require investigative work and people skills. Are the two parties being truthful? Have the accuser and accused provided you with all the information you need to make a case? How will you deal with what's being said in the thread by uninvoled users just looking to put in their own two cents? All these questions and more are part of the contest.

Now, the main reason this is going to be limited to twelve participants is ALL contestant participation will be filtered through yours truly. Meaning that once the fake BTR gets posted, any questions you have for the fictitious users or any statements you wish to make in the thread along with your ultimate, final decision, need to be PM'd to me. The idea behind this is two fold. First, it keeps you working in a vaccuum of sorts where you can't rely on the other contestants/users to provide you with the basis for your argument. Second, it keeps the actual thread unclutered and free of arguing between the contestants over their interepretations of how the problem SHOULD be handled. Now, that said, you can talk to staff members other than me via PM. Who knows, if you're nice, maybe they can offer advice. (That is not guaranteed. And, again, we do NOT accept bribes... :lol: )

The prizes have yet to be decided. I want to make sure we actually have all twelve participants first and we the staff need to discuss if we want a single prize or something like a first place, seond place, etc... It should be nice. I MIGHT have an interesting limited model or two kicking around I MIGHT be willing to toss in IF you guys impress me :-D .

Lastly, just like a real BTR, the answer may not be 100% cut and dry. Once everything is done and the contestants have submitted their entires, the staff will vote privately on who we think handled the case with the most tact and fairness. The staff will be the final judges. So yes, this contest, just like in a painting contest or modelling contest, is SUBJECTIVE. We will be fair, but our collective voting will be the final word.

That was rather long winded. :oops: If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

-HZ
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
Bubba Ho-Tep ( 68 )
BTown Regular

Re: New Contest Details Revealed

Post by Bubba Ho-Tep »

Definately count me in (hopefully I make the cut). Sometimes it pays to stay up late.
Life is like a dogsled team, unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

HarlequinZero wrote:(No, we don't take bribes. :wink: )
HarlequinZero wrote:(... And, again, we do NOT accept bribes... )
Forget that.
I take cash.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
EZ mac ( 164 )
Expert Trader

Post by EZ mac »

Just make sure u "have all posts/emails in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I'm not even going to read it." :-D

Sounds fun...I'm still in if possible.

So if we feel there is missing info will u have accounts set up for us to pm and ask for specific info on the BTR?
Lowest rating ships first even from payments
40k is NOT chess! It's yatzee... Roll more dice and roll higher and you win!
Leave feedback. It helps build the BT community. It's the polite thing to do. If I owe you a ref - please PM with details so I can fix that oversight.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

Just like it says in my post, everything gets PM'd to ME. There aren't any dummy account. You PM me with the question and who it's addressed to and I answer it.
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

So MM, is that PayPal MagickalMemories@cashnow.com? :-D
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

AOL, baby.

... and preference goes to the ones that pick up the fees themselves.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

...and now it's time to winnow the field down to 12. Hopefully this will be sorted out by sometime Saturday and then I'll put up the names of the contestants and the beginning of the fake BTR so you guys start chipping away at it.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

Ok folks. After the extended sign up period it turns out only the 14 members who signed up during the initial phase have signed up. No one tossed in their hat during the second phase. As such, it's been decided that all of the original 14 sign ups will be able to participate. Also, since all of you who signed up did it during the initial phase there will be no "bonus hint" because I'll simply put all the info out there right from the start. (Seeing as there's no second phase people to hide anything from.) So, without further ado, here is the list of contestants in no particular order:

Bubba Ho-Tep
Osloco
EZ mac
reegsk
kturock
getupandgo
govannon
Ein Vried
Forsaken Poptart
s_o_r_r_o_w
BITZJUNKIE
wookieegunner
bluemeenie
MEDEVL
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Re: New Contest Details Revealed *contestant names revealed!*

Post by bluemeenie »

Darn it.....forgot to read over the weekend!!!!!
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

No harm done--no other details have been forthcoming. Or am I behind already?
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
gpfredette ( 720 )
Bartertown Marshall

Post by gpfredette »

I believe you may be a bit behind.

Please check this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=100218 to catch up.

Thank you,
Williams, AZ
Home of the Historic Grand Canyon Railroad

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Lower Rating ships/pays first.

My Refs: ref_view.php?user_id=14243
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

So, out of the 14 contestants I've got like 5 people playing along. C'mon folks. Are you in or out?
EZ mac ( 164 )
Expert Trader

Post by EZ mac »

HarlequinZero wrote:So, out of the 14 contestants I've got like 5 people playing along. C'mon folks. Are you in or out?
I'll pm u with my "entry" later tonight after work
Lowest rating ships first even from payments
40k is NOT chess! It's yatzee... Roll more dice and roll higher and you win!
Leave feedback. It helps build the BT community. It's the polite thing to do. If I owe you a ref - please PM with details so I can fix that oversight.
Forsaken Poptart ( 578 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Forsaken Poptart »

I'm still in- just going over everything with a fine-toothed comb.
I'll send my judgement tonight!
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.

Return to “Bartertown Contests”