Is Warhammer Fantasy Dead?

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Re: Is Warhammer Fantasy Dead?

Post by NuWishA »

The Kings of War game also has some former GW writers involved.
templars ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Post by templars »

AOS is not a hot seller if you define it as selling faster than it gets into a store. $ game stores in 4 states - all have stock - all say it isn't selling - all say their Fantasy community is not amused.
whatsnext ( 38 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by whatsnext »

So, Same-old same-old.

I live in near-rural NC and Fatasy isn't even on the radar. Any GW game release, no matter how storied-according to someone, has never been that widespread or popular in sells. It's niche as it gets. Boardgames are a step above wargaming, but gaming in general has only breached cultural normal recently. D&D is still a reasonably niche game even if most people have heard of it. I didn't even know GW existed until 2008. It doesn't take much of a blow to cause DMG. Boardgames get it easy b/c they mostly don't expect to stick around long. Descent and Zombiecide are edge cases.

I would never expect GW to just out of nowhere blast the doors down with a massive fantasy release hit. Fantasy isn't nearly as popular as science fiction, in general. Look how FF slapped a Star Wars coat of paint on Flight system(something another) and made a massive hit with X-Wingu. They bought a game and a coat of paint, now they're beloved geniuses.

GW lived long enough to earn the ire of an aging fanbase. There is a point where any creator must stop caring what their original base thinks. A creator must reach a new audience. An audience for a brand is never expect to be the same over long periods of time. There are always 'eras' and milestones, but change comes with the times. It works sometimes and it fails sometimes. But howling about change is futile. GW has to do things or become irrelevant. I support them in the rebranding and defense of their IP.
>:-O (.)(.) \(^O^)/ ⑨ ☢CAUTION!!☢
Grumiuk ( 50 )
BTown Regular

Post by Grumiuk »

whatsnext wrote:So, Same-old same-old.

I live in near-rural NC and Fatasy isn't even on the radar. Any GW game release, no matter how storied-according to someone, has never been that widespread or popular in sells. It's niche as it gets. Boardgames are a step above wargaming, but gaming in general has only breached cultural normal recently. D&D is still a reasonably niche game even if most people have heard of it. I didn't even know GW existed until 2008. It doesn't take much of a blow to cause DMG. Boardgames get it easy b/c they mostly don't expect to stick around long. Descent and Zombiecide are edge cases.

I would never expect GW to just out of nowhere blast the doors down with a massive fantasy release hit. Fantasy isn't nearly as popular as science fiction, in general. Look how FF slapped a Star Wars coat of paint on Flight system(something another) and made a massive hit with X-Wingu. They bought a game and a coat of paint, now they're beloved geniuses.

GW lived long enough to earn the ire of an aging fanbase. There is a point where any creator must stop caring what their original base thinks. A creator must reach a new audience. An audience for a brand is never expect to be the same over long periods of time. There are always 'eras' and milestones, but change comes with the times. It works sometimes and it fails sometimes. But howling about change is futile. GW has to do things or become irrelevant. I support them in the rebranding and defense of their IP.
X-wing is a massive hit because it is a great game with good play testing. It is similar to Wings of War, but better. Yes the Star Wars title helps, and it would not have done as well without the brand name. Over all they made a great game, and its probably one of my favorites. I have played and own allot of games. Descent is also a great game, but if I have my pick I will be playing X-wing over Decent every time.
whatsnext ( 38 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by whatsnext »

In no way, shape, or form am I criticising what other people like to do-just saying. Certainly an oversimplification, but I've played my fair share of FF games. From Doom to Descent. Always fun up until you realive how simple the game is. The people playing with me got bored as hell and literally will not touch any boardgame again.

I just prefer games with a little meat on the bones. If it doesn't have confusing rules, unless you've been play since you were six, I'll get bored easy.
Grumiuk ( 50 )
BTown Regular

Post by Grumiuk »

Well ya they did make Warhammer fantasy a game for 6 year old's, if that's what you meant. I do not think a 6 year old would be playing X-wing. It's getting more complex the more expansions that come out. You can make it simple without upgrades which is nice for beginners.

The Wings of War game that X-Wing is based from can be played by a 6 year old. That's one of the first games I taught my children.

X-Wing I feel is a good game for both beginning and experienced gamers. It reminds me of Chess in some regards. It takes a lot of thought if your playing against someone that knows what they are doing. It is not one of the most difficult games that I have played by far. It is usually very rare to find anyone that want's to play a game more difficult then that unfortunately. I do not like confusing. I think a better word would probably be complex?
whatsnext ( 38 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by whatsnext »

["Grumiuk"]Well ya they did make Warhammer fantasy a game for 6 year old's,
Nothing wrong with that, hook em while they're young. I'd love to be young and enthusiastic again. Video games show progression of love it in towards hate it better because you can experience the mechanics, with far more people, any time you like. I'll be honest, if X-Wing was on Playstation Network I'd be far less cynical about it. It's just another money sucker to me. Doesn't appeal to me either; I like GW-style monsters, cavalry and stuff like Screaming Bells or a Mortis Engine. Stuff like that is money well spent.
"It is usually very rare to find anyone that want's to play a game more difficult then that unfortunately."
In my case, there are few people who are willing to entertain the thought of playing a tabletop game. Everybody I know does what they like in their off time. So, there really isn't much gaming for me. I'm not big on strangers b/c it's just too much trouble, and highly inconsistent.

"I do not like confusing. I think a better word would probably be complex?"
Depends on the game. If setting up a dungeon, setting the traps, putting together the encounters with options, keeping up with stats, doing things right so it works and doesn't fall into chaos is complex -then yes. It can become confusing tho'.

Return to “The Olde Worlde”