Dwafs, Why not just longbeards?

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Dwafs, Why not just longbeards?

Post by kturock »

Under the rules, you can have as many longbeard units as other core units.
So, I can have 1 or more units of thunderers or quarellers, and then for just HtH, all longbeards.

Using just the battlaion box, I can field 1 unit of 16 thunderers or quarrelers and then a unit of 32 longbeards.

I bought a battalion box, a box of warriors and a box of thunderers/quarrelers.

I can have 48 longbeards, and 2 units of either thunderers or quarrelers or 1 of each.

I can split it to 2 units of longbeards.

So my question is; why have normal warriors, when longbeards are better for not many more points? [and being a 'beardy git']
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Re: Dwafs, Why not just longbeards?

Post by kturock »

I just realized, it's costs the same to buy a battalion box and get a free cannon vs buying them each seperately.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

I'm pretty sure the restriction is Warriors, not Core Units. So if you want to have one unit of Longbeards, you have to also take one unit of Warriors. Quarrelers and Thunderers do not meet the criteria. There are two ways of getting around this, however. For starters, if you take a Dwarf Lord, you can have one additional unit of Longbeards. So if you take no Warriors, you can have one, or if you take two units of Warriors, you can have two. Or, if you upgrade a unit of Warriors to Longbeards, and then upgrade them to Rangers, they no longer count toward that Longbeard restriction. And they Scout. And they're awesome.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Ahh your right.
I used army builder, and had a dwarf lord, and no warriors.
I also overlooked that line in the army book.

But still, a block of 48 longbeards....

Hmmm..as scouts they can set up on a flank and be disruptive. hmm....how big a block? 16? 32? ;-)

reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

KT, somehow your reply escaped my notice months ago, and as I was going through "View Your Posts" to find an old trading thread of mine, I spotted it. Personally, I run my 'Beards in a massive block of 40-50. Most of my opponents don't run cheese lists with unstoppable magic, so I have a reasonable chance at shutting down things like Purple Sun and Dwellers Below that would seriously damage the unit. Most games, the block barely survives, with perhaps a rank or two left. But the things they chew up. . .it's brutal. If you get full frontage, you're talking 30 WS5 S6 attacks on T4 models with a 5+ armor save. It's expensive, but it hits HARD.
Charsh ( 22 )
New Trader

Post by Charsh »

one other trick is to field bugman himself with his unit of longbeard rangers. this gives you your core ranger squad, and 2 longbeard scouting units. AND bugmans unit is immune to fear and terror to boot!!!!

Return to “The Olde Worlde”