Talk to me about Deadzone or another 40K replacement

Discussion area for non-GW futuristic wargames.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Talk to me about Deadzone or another 40K replacement

Post by MagickalMemories »

I hate 7th edition 40K. it is so bad that my regular Saturday 40k group hasn't actually played 40k in 6 to 8 months.

I'm interested in hearing about Deadzone, as I'm certain we can just use our 40K models within the DZ rule set.
If there's a "quick start" pdf that anyone can post a link to, that would be awesome.

I'm trying to find out if the rules are decent so I can get my group interested in playing this, at least until 8th edition 40K comes out.

Anything anyone can offer would be appreciated. I am mostly looking for more than generic "This game is good/bad/okay" type input, though.

Thanks.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Talk to me about Deadzone

Post by pretre »

I am a huge fan of Deadzone, here's the old quickstart guide:
https://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Ro ... 0final.pdf

It's the previous edition, but will give you an idea.

It's a skirmish type game and you can easily use GW minis as various factions.

The newer edition has rules for all the units in the books, which is super convenient.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Talk to me about Deadzone

Thanks, Pretre.

So, I'm seeing things like "Move X cubes."
Is this not a measurement based game? Like, do you have to play it on some sort of a grid?

My preference is to find a game where we're just using all the stuff we've been using, but calling it different names and using decent rules.
Like, if I want to play "Corporation," I can just use Space marine models. Or, for "Outsiders," I can just use Chaos models.
Orcs would be proxied with... hmm... Maybe Tau? I don't know. I'm sure 40K has SOMETHING that would proxy well. LOL

Same for terrain. We've got a ton of money invested in this terrain. We don't want to have to try to lay it out on a grid or something.

If not Deadzone, I'm open to other suggestions. (Updated thread title to represent this)

Thanks.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Talk to me about Deadzone or another 40K replacement

Post by pretre »

Deadzone works on cubes instead of a tape measure but all of the factions have easy 40k swaps.

If you want a bigger squad based game, warpath is the way to go.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

deadzone is a little closer to board game movement in that regard.

While the scope is different, I'd suggest infinity- feels a lot like a way smarter version of 40k, plus cyberpunk, though you can't cover all factions without a bit of a stretch.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I don't like the LOOK of Infinity. So, i know I'll never collect the models.
I'm not against the rules, though. Any chance for a primer?

I looked into Warpath. What little I could see in the free downloads available didn't really grab me.

I'm still an open book here.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

There were free demo rules for Infinity as well as free rules for it's RPG.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Dammit.
Blocked at work. LOL

I'll check the link later. Thanks, Bruce!

Eric

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

The most interesting parts to me about infinity:
-range is actually pretty realistic. Guns shoot really far
-cover is extremely important, and they way it works, you want to hug cover during your whole movement, rather than just being able to hop from cover to cover
-there's lots of ability to react to actions
-->all of these make for a really cool urban fire fight
-your actions are based on number of models in your force and don't need to be distributed evenly, leading to some interesting support structures
-your checks are opposed rolls where you want to score below your threshold but whoever's got the highest roll that's also a success wins, but it's also just a single dice vs. dice system rather than any addition or anything most of the time
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

The system looked interesting, but none of us like the models. I guess were all too old [30-50's] to like the anime look.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

kturock wrote:The system looked interesting, but none of us like the models. I guess were all too old [30-50's] to like the anime look.
Same for me, re; models.
spiralingcadaver wrote:The most interesting parts to me about infinity:
-range is actually pretty realistic. Guns shoot really far
-cover is extremely important, and they way it works, you want to hug cover during your whole movement, rather than just being able to hop from cover to cover
-there's lots of ability to react to actions
-->all of these make for a really cool urban fire fight
-your actions are based on number of models in your force and don't need to be distributed evenly, leading to some interesting support structures
-your checks are opposed rolls where you want to score below your threshold but whoever's got the highest roll that's also a success wins, but it's also just a single dice vs. dice system rather than any addition or anything most of the time
So...
It's a shooting focused game?
If so, that's actually a point against it. We're looking for something with balanced shooting AND HtH. Tired of 40K nerfing HtH.

Also, is it unit based or squad based?
In games like Malifaux, there are a lot of combos between models. Does Infinity have that?

What's the typical army/force size? Let's say in your average to large game. for example, in 40K, most tournaments seem to be 1850 to 2000 points. We typically play at 2000 (when we play, that is LOL).

Thanks.

Eric

imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

Tomorrows War : not so much space opera, has a grittier edge. Don't know if you ever played Stargrunt but that's what it reminds me of. Much more about scenarios then points
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

MM- yeah, shooting is very flexible, though I've not played enough to see how good a melee force can get.

Squads- there are ways of operating as squads, but it's mostly individuals. It's not as combo-heavy from my limited experience.

Again, on army size, not that experienced.

Sorry, not an authority, just a game I like that I've dabbled in.
-Nietzsche

Return to “Other Dystopian Futures”