Have you used Green stuff roller pins???

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Have you used Green stuff roller pins???

Post by nightlord »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has used the GREEN STUFF roller pins to make tops for their bases. And if so what putty and technique did you use.

I know they have a tutorial on their site to show how they do it. But some times someone else has a better and easier method. Just fishing here.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Re: Have you used Green stuff roller pins???

Post by gwaddict »

I have a number of rollers sitting around waiting to find the right putty to use =)
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

I have half a dozen of the GSW rolling pins.

I struggled with these at first. Rolling directly on the base was sub-optimal. Green stuff is too sticky w/o a bunch of lubricant that makes the details "soft".

What I have found is that I prefer to use them with Super Sculpey. It requires baking afterwards to set, so it's easy to reclaim any waste and/or roll it up and start over if it didn't turn out the way that you wanted. Once baked, it's pretty hard, and can be sanded, filed, drilled, etc. It is kind of brittle, so it's easy to roll out a whole sheet with the rolling pins and then break it into pieces for ruins on bases. I use their circular cutters to cut out the round to glue on top of the base. Only cut like that before it's baked. Won't work afterwards.

To get a nice smooth sheet of a consistent thickness, get a small pasta roller. I got mine on Amazon for under 20 bucks. Best investment for this type of project IMHO.

Hope that helps.
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

Sweet what kind of circular cutter did you use . I used to cut magnet sheets out for bases but never got them quite right and want to avoid scissors etc
Rules
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

I'm afraid these would only work for uncured putties: Round Cutters for Bases

They have Oval Cutters for Bases now too. I'll have to get some of those.
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

Nice are the cuts the same size as the top of the bases or the bottom of the bases? saw some reviews that made it sound like the bottom size. Thanks!
Rules
taran.shannara ( 210 )
BTown Regular

Post by taran.shannara »

I have used them successfully with Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Use the flat roller to get thickness and then roll over with the pattern. Cut to base size and let harden. Then ca glue to base.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

@gwaddict
The set on the site now has been expanded since I bought it. They are both the outer size and the top size from the list in the new set there. Since they also support the rounded side bases that other systems use (Privateer Press, Infinity, etc.) they also have sizes for the insert on those.

@taran.shannara
I love my Apoxie Sculpt. I don't like the waste I generate once the working time is up. It's much longer than say, green stuff, but still there is a limit. With Super Sculpey I don't have to worry about it at all.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”