2018 Members Assembly Challenge

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: 2018 Members Assembly Challenge

Post by akum »

Couple of things:

I salvaged this Doomsday ark...was hotglued and destroyed:

Turned it into this:

Also built more forgebane:

Lets call em 8 peices each so 88, plus the DDA--that was probably 30 pieces with lots of scraping and converting.
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

That conversion is dope.
akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

Thanks! Got her painted too, she matches my army now!

warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

I didn't assemble anything for the first couple months of the year - was working on too many other things. Finally got these guys assembled, so I am on the board at least, with 7 points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

At least 21, 3 parts each
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

Both arms are one piece for both. The legs/body/head is all one piece. They're a total of 3 pieces each, only if I count the base as well.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Body, torso, head one piece.
Left arm, one piece.
Right arm, one piece.
Base, one piece.

Correct?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Ive made so much *edit* already but I dont like keeping tracking of all the parts (I spend a lot of time adding things and converting etc). I just kinda get in the flow and do my thing. Its disruptive for me to keep tally. Gonna sit this one out. Keep the pictures up guys I like seeing what people make.
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

kturock wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 pm
Body, torso, head one piece.
Left arm, one piece.
Right arm, one piece.
Base, one piece.

Correct?
Nope. Base - 1 piece.
Legs/torso/head - 1 piece.
Both arms + gun - all molded together as a single piece.

If I felt like it, 2 drops of glue would be sufficient to hold it together. (Heck, the pegs on the arms are good enough that I could probably just use 1 drop of glue for a foot)
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Irish1983 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm
Ive made so much *edit* already but I dont like keeping tracking of all the parts (I spend a lot of time adding things and converting etc). I just kinda get in the flow and do my thing. Its disruptive for me to keep tally. Gonna sit this one out. Keep the pictures up guys I like seeing what people make.
I've almost finished another model for the Shadows of Brimstone boardgame. It's a super, end of game, end of dungeon model. In game terms he;s XXL. :-)
Anyway, he's also only 16 pieces, but in size, his head comes up to the shoulder of Magnus the Red, with wings he's even bigger. He's on a 90mm round base.
So in the PPP system, he's 16 points vs the 60, 80, 100+? of MtR [I forgot how many pieces he was.]
Under the other system, he'd be worth almost, if not the same.

I'll post pics.
I feel the new system is better because you get rewarded for more pieces and more work.
I belong to a modeling group on FB. Most of the guys there only build 'traditional' models; cars, boats, ships, airplanes.
Some of those models have tiny pieces, like the steering wheel on one was three pieces, all under the size of a dime.
A guy posted a couple days ago, a pic 5 planes that go to a ship model. They all fit on a dime, at the same time. The entire model is about the size of a GW 40k Rhino. It has to be at least 50-60 plus parts.
You can't tell me that to build that is just as easy as a Rhino.

Most models have parts labeled on the instructions. At every picture, I write the number of parts down. When I'm done, I just add them up. You have to take a break between sections, to let the glue dry; just do it then.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Shadows of Brimstone Beli'al
16 points.
Next to him is Magnus the Red. Both are about the same size, and under the old system, would have been the or almost the same points. 5 or 6 points.
MoR was over 50 pieces. Belial was 16.

16 points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Oh I get it I just dont find it worth the effort. A lot of stuff I make isnt standard and conversions take considerable time to make look good. A lot of time is spent on say 3-5 pieces when I can assemble a standard marine at almost a dozen pieces in 5 minutes. More parts does not mean difficult or more time. I do think its better than last years in regards to fairness.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

A Tomb Banshee to be used in Shadows of Brimstone boardgame.
6 pieces. 6 points.
I've added a round base, green stuff and a washer for weight. [none are included in the points]

Almost finished painting it. It's been almost a month. Just have to decide on what colors for the flesh.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Goblin Doom Diver, now renamed to Grot Doom Diver.
Also now made out of finecrap.

14 points. [Gluing my fingers together got no points.]

The Escher girls in the back are next in cue for painting. I got a Harley Quinn inspiration and hopefully they'll actually get finished. The Goliaths are almost done...Almost.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

3 more Lost Army Cannons for Shadows of Brimstone.
12 pieces each; except for the middle cannon, whose muzzle I dropped.

35 points.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”