Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: 2017 Bartertown Members Assembly Challenge

Post by MagickalMemories »

I don't want to THINK about the dollar value of my hobby. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I just found my instructions for Magnus the Red. The book is 10 pages of assembling the model. A couple pages showing the completed model with different parts. 1 of rules and another as a painting guide.

I just counted 71 pieces, plus the base; with another 6 optional pieces for different builds. Like 3 different faces. One is 1 part, the other two are 2 pieces. The main weapon is either a sword, that's 1 piece, or a bladed spear that's 3 pieces.

There are a lot of multi-piece parts. 5 pieces for the chest plate. 2 for each leg plate. Hell 4 for an arm. 5 for the hair, 2 horns and 1-2 pieces for the face and 1 part for the forehead. 9 pieces for the head alone. Accessories, like a spare sword, [which is the same size as other models] and other accoutrements, are the size of most models heads. Would the extra sword and equivalent of belt pouches, be left out of the count for it?

How about the 2 pieces of 'terrain' that the foot stands upon?

Pieces are numbered to at least 75, but there is one in the instructions labeled 88.

That model requires counting as you build.

How many points would it be? 71, like I counted? 74, If I built both weapons and magnetized them?

I'm guessing knights are similar in piece count; not counting options.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

If you magnetize them im cool with you getting the points for that parts.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Here's the thing... part by part... I think we're still looking at equality.
If that thing's 75 parts (you shouldn't get points for every part, unless you use - and I'm with Irish re: magnetization), you should get a TON of points for it.
I mean, by the old way, you can painstakingly throw together 75 parts over the course of a day or three... or I can glue a gigantic chunk of resin onto a base... and we get the same number of points.
Keep in mind that (presumably), each of those 75 parts has to be trimmed off of the sprue and cleaned of flash, as well. That takes some time.
Even if each piece ONLY takes an average of 1 minute to clip & clean, you're looking at well over an hour just to do that.

I feel like I keep defending "my idea."
I want to be clear --and this should be the sentiment over-riding any comments I make; I just came up with the idea off of the top of my head and presented it. The more I hear, though,the more logical it seems & the more I like it.
But I AM NOT defending it. I'm simply discussing it. I have ZERO "ego" tied into the idea, and I think we should go with whatever most of us who are discussing it think is the best idea. I honestly don't care what that is (though, I'd prefer not to have to measure my models in mm LOL). Whether or not we select my idea (which I agree DOES require a bit of homework), it's all good with me.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

Too much book keeping to count parts for me
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

By height will have the problem that it did in LoS. You can build some models bigger than others.
I have a couple of the Chaos deamon vehicles. Their legs are on ball and sockets. I can build them with about an inch of height variance.
Most of the Necron vehicles also.
Dwarfs would be handicapped. Same for Goblins and Gretchen.
What about tall vs long? Bikers come to mind.
What about things like dreads? or things with banner poles?
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

In case someone is building it...ti shows piece count. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Kturock, what's you're preferred points option?
Sorry if you've posted it, but I don't recall seeing any but mine and "height."
Does anyone have ANY options other than what's been discussed?

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I'm actually liking the points per parts option.

But I'm really open to other suggestions.

I haven't liked the current method, but will abide by, and administer it; if that's the the method decided.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I don't want to go over a bunch of old pages.
Here are the suggested options I recall:
1) 2017 points model
2) Points per mm model
3) Points per piece model

Does anyone have any other suggestions or remember any I missed?

Eric

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Total worth...... In peso's.

Bachiiiiiing

Seriously though. I have nothing.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Take a model base. Glue a single cast model onto it. BOOM one point. For every part needed to complete the model without extra "bits" you get one point. If you do an honest conversion boom bonus points (awarded by the group). I think that is fine as is. No one has said it sounds bad, and this is for pride and bragging rights only.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

So, Irish, it looks like you're also suggesting a points system.
I actually think it's what I'm suggesting, only presented differently.
When you say "without extra bits," are you referring to holstered weapons, grenade pouches, etc? Like, just the ESSENTIAL pieces of the actual model?

For example, a Space marine is legs, torso (2pcs), head, backpack, shoulder pads (2) and gun. So, he would be 9 points. No points for the actual base.
Maybe you get an extra point if you attach a banner to his backpack (it's a sizeable piece, after all), but you don't get anything for gluing belt pouches onto him.

Right?

If that's correct, I think we can just call it "points per piece," and hammer out the specifics if that is what's chosen.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I do feel that bases should have points. It's something that is assembled to/on the model and not all models use/need them.
IE Ork vehicles. Trukks, Battlewagons and the like don't have bases. Necron Arks and Barges not only have them, but they need them to stand. You can't call the model built until it attached.
Also, I've seen in groups on FB for model building, other models that require bases. IE ship models need them but tanks don't. Also small space ships that need them.

Also as far as 'extra bits'; holsters, grenades, spare weapons. Most cases, those bits the same size, if not larger, than other pieces on the model.

One that comes to mind is a Necromunda ganger from House Goliath. He has a cigar. It takes a very steady hand or tweezers to attach. It's like 2mm. It's part of the model, not just an added bit for looks. Other parts, like extra guns or hand weapons, are needed for WYSIWYG games.

Now, when you refer to bits added to the ground for decoration, like a helmet, shoulder pad or even a head; those are still parts. If the model was converted to have those; it'd get points. So why not in the original assembly? They all have to be cut, trimmed and attached, like any other piece.
[I'm actually working against myself on this point. Since I usually don't add those bits until after the model is painted.]

Just more thoughts.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

+1 for bits

I have 60 3 bit models coming in the mail wha ha ha.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Creative Endeavors”