Inaugural Bartertown Members Assembly Challenge

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Inaugural Bartertown Members Assembly Challenge

Post by HawtFist »

So this weekend me and the wife started putting together my new Infinity and her new Infinity minis. As she struggled with supergluing her minis together I remembered what a pain in the tuckus metal minis are. Besides gel superglue and pinning occasionally, anyone have any recommendations? I've just sort of learned to live with the frustration, but my wife is swearing she won't glue another metal mini together unless we have a better solution. While I wouldn't mind the extra points for this competition, finding a better method wouldn't hurt either.

Anyone have some tips or tricks?
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Just to experiment with different brands of super glue. Some work better than others and price isn't always a factor.
Also, make sure you wash the metal. Some times there is a 'release agent' on models; resin and metal. Washing them with dish soap and water usually works.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Agreed 100% on what Kt said. I have experienced different results with different brands too. Sometimes, when in doubt, stick to liquid super glue (just be extra careful). I usually buy two brands of gel glue and one liquid because the results vary between metal, resin and plastic.

Good Luck!

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I used to use generic "Super Glue." The standard stuff.
Then I tried Gorilla Glue brand once. I've never looked back.
There's a higher concentration of (IIRC) rubber in it, so it stands up to more damage than others. Also, the hold is just strong.
If you just don't give a damn about the quality of the hold, get some accelerator (Zip Kicker, etc). It'll make assembly time drop to half or even quarter, when it comes to gluing. The problem is that your glue no longer "cures." It just hardens. that makes it FAR more fragile and prone to breakage. Additionally, when it does break, and you try to reglue it, the fit won't be as good because the hardened glue will still be in the join between the pieces. Also, for a while after using it, the accelerators residue hangs around. So, if you need to fix it after a short time, as soon as you apply the glue to the piece, it starts to harden... making things even crappier.

My suggestion: Gorilla Glue brand super glue and patience. Throw your accelerator out the window, if you have it.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I've used Loctite, Gorilla glue, dollar store glue, GW glue, Super glue, Zap-A-Gap, and about every brand out there.

Old glue doesn't work as well as new glue. New as in fresh. Stuff sitting on shelves seems to be weaker.

I've found most people don't use accelerator correctly. It's supposed to be used like 2 part epoxy. Spaying the glue on 1 side and the accelerator on the other.
I've seen people glue the pieces together, then spray the accelerator on/at it.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

kturock wrote:
Well, that would be me. :oops:

OK. I'll stop doing that, I'll pick up some gorilla, and I'll wash them. I can't believe I've been forgetting to wash them, lol!

ETA: my God, it was just washing them. 30 seconds per joint, instead of three minutes... and 100% instead of a 66% success rate. :oops:

Thanks guys, you are life savers.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

kturock wrote:I've found most people don't use accelerator correctly. It's supposed to be used like 2 part epoxy. Spaying the glue on 1 side and the accelerator on the other.
You're correct. This is the "right" way to use it.
Personally, I see even more issues with using it correctly, though.
a) It still has the problems I mentioned above
b) Many people [that I've seen] just can't seem to line the joints up properly before the glue starts to harden, which leads to oddly assembled models.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

I'll have more up soon enough, but for now, another 5 points for my Archfiend.

Not certain that he is worth taking in a small army, but he is so nice that I am going to be using him anyway.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Five Necron Warriors, a base of Scarabs, and three US Ariadna minis. In the background you can see I'm adding to my dreadnought. Hoping to finish painting him next weekend.

I would resize these, but I've just had a plumbing emergency. I don't think I'm going to be buying any minis - or much else, for a while. Stupid $1,000 deductible.

Edit: 10 points I believe.

skuller ( 310 )
Bartertown's Bob Ross

Post by skuller »

OK I'm in, I'm going to start with my starter Horus Heresy army from Betrayal @ Calth

Mor Deythan squad 7 model
Ravenguardwip01.jpg
Devastator squad 7 points
ravenguardwip02.jpg
tactical squad 7 points
Ravenguardwip03.jpg
assault termie squad 10 points
tactical support squad 7 points
captain 1 point
lonely missile launcher guy 1 point
Ravenguardwip04.jpg
Ravenguardwip05.jpg
Total points for my Raven Guard Legion 47 points
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No international trades (not including Canada)
BTR rules
lower rates ship first
---------
Hail Hydra!!!
stokerd ( 360 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by stokerd »

Awesome idea! Sign me up - I do way more assembling than painting. And as a first submission, a model I just finished:

Storm Eagle (kitbash):

I will get more pictures taken of the models I'm currently building up soon.

* Edit * Missed the one pic, sorry - fixed!
Last edited by stokerd on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

@stokerd:
Remember... One pic of each model per post, please.

Thanks.

Eric

stokerd ( 360 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by stokerd »

And the models I assembled yesterday/last night for a 50 point game:

War Hog:

Farrow Slaugherhousers:

I believe that's 5pts for the Warhog and 6 points for the Slaughterhousers. As for the Storm Eagle (previously), 8 points for Large Vehicle. Total points would be 19 :-D
stokerd ( 360 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by stokerd »

And three more models finished - converted Drop Pods (to look like Dreadclaws). That's 15 more points.

stokerd ( 360 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by stokerd »

Seven more models assembled (though I have a big one coming).

Man o War Drakhun w/ dismount, and five Iron Fang Uhlans:

Return to “Creative Endeavors”