Making a SM dred 4 legged

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Making a SM dred 4 legged

Post by jason1977 »

I have 10 dreds now and an 11th one awaiting build time. Im tossing around the idea of making it a 4 legged dred. I have extra legs. Ideas how??

Thanks
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

Re: Making a SM dred 4 legged

Post by osloco »

Try copying Chaos SM Defiler? It might be a bit big for just reusing and filing down the bits. I googled four legged dreadnought in images and there are a few examples there. Dreadnoughts have such squat legs that it seems difficult.
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Look at the necron destroyers. Those are 6 legged models. You might try using the necron legs, glue 2 legs together to make them thicker or use some ork claws or mechanical legs.
Your choices of designs are either 'centaur' style; with he torso above the front set of legs.
Or the spider style with the torso in the middle of the legs.
Or the legs in front and the torso in the back., sort of like a scorpion tail.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
H W Raney ( 418 )
Resident Trader

Post by H W Raney »

Just a coupe of semi-random thoughts here:
Take a look at Japanese Mecha anime series models. Fang of the Sun, Dougram has several four legged vehicles that might be useful. They probably need as little "40K" ing (skulls, purity seals, big bolts and the like) to fit in.
Related, though probably too small, would be the four legged Mecha from Battletech. I assume they're still in production from somebody.
Also, and my memory may be faulty, didn't Star Wars (the Clone War period) have several low profile 4 legged vehicles? For that matter, the legs off an AT-AT might be an useful start.
In any event, it might be profitable to look outside of the GW line.
Good luck and have fun
Personal Guidelines:
PayPal or MO are both welcome.
No trouble with Canadian or overseas orders. Just please be aware of the extra time and postage costs involved.
Significantly lower rating ships/pays first - this goes both ways.
H W Raney ( 418 )
Resident Trader

Post by H W Raney »

Wish I could read. just noticed that you said you already have enough legs.
My previous text could still apply. Simply use the mentioned vehicle base as an attach point for the legs.
But, I'm also thinking, a pivoting beam arrangement might look good. Mount a heavy tapering I beam to each leg joint and then mount the legs to the tapered ends of the I beam. Sort of a teeter totter (aka seesaw) arrangement. Use the bits box to make it clunky enough to give that look of fine Imperial engineering.
Just a few thoughts on the matter. Be interested in seeing what you come up with.
Personal Guidelines:
PayPal or MO are both welcome.
No trouble with Canadian or overseas orders. Just please be aware of the extra time and postage costs involved.
Significantly lower rating ships/pays first - this goes both ways.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”