Highlighting black

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Highlighting black

Post by kturock »

Another painting question.
I've just [mostly] finished painting some Necron Deathmarks.
They're boltgun and black, with greens. I want the black to be BLACK. The guys are special forces. They armor is black. I don't want to shade it with greys. I want them to be absolute black. Here's pics of them. They're finished except for any shading of the black and sealing them.
A couple of the guys at the GW store last week said they looked good, but I needed to higlight/detail the black.

Would using a gloss coat work?
Suggestions.

Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Highlighting black

Post by MagickalMemories »

I don't have anything handy to show, but I've highlighted black with blue in the past. It gives it that "true" black look, rather than the "dulled" look that a gray can give. Especially on these models, a line of a dark blue on all the hard edges, with a thinner line of a brighter blue (thing midnight, then navy blue) can pull it out a bit. I'd do a bit on the higher, rounded "flat" areas, too.

First: Your black looks a little gray. Did you prime it white, by chance? I'd probably go over it with another coat of black, first. Then, I'd do the wirk with the blue, as above.
You could do a matte or gloss coat, but gloss would look MUCH better.

See how the glossy black here looks blue where the light hits it on the edges?

It can be done with purples, too. I like the look of blue, though.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I spray primered flat black, then painted it with black, after the boltgun on the legs and arms. The faces are pearl white [metalic].
I was thinking about sealing with gloss, like I did with the Nurgle model. Flat over the entire model, then gloss liquid on specific spots. Hmm maybe a gloss black would've been better.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I'll second MM on using a deep blue to highlight. If you don't want to add any colour you could always mix some gloss coat in with a bit of black and use that to do a line along the edge. I would then do a thinner line of pure gloss coat at the edge. Not sure how it would work out but it might catch the light and pull a reflection on the edge.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Thanks guys. I'll try both. Part of the reason I don't edge highlight is my hands aren't steady enough. My hands always shook, even when I was little. Now with the tendonitis in my hands and arms; between the pain and not being able to feel when I'm holding the brush; I don't know when the brush is making contact with the model.
I'll seal 1 with flat, 1 with gloss.
I'm thinking of sealing before I try the black/gloss and blue/black highlights.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

You can still do a passable job without edging it. Just skip that part and do the highlighting on the highest/most raised parts of the model.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

Reaper Miniatures has
Nightmare Black
which has a bluish tint in, pretty subtle but you can see it. I've been using it lately, I can try and get some pics for you this weekend using it.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I just painted the black with a black/gloss varnish mix. I'll post pics in a bit. I glosses all the green and the skull.

The FLGS has some reaper paints, I'll see if they have tat one. Thanks Imp.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Here's pics with the black/gloss mix.

Sorry about the sunlight and shadow.. that's South Florida in the summer time. I tried to show the gleam look from the light.

Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

So long as 50%+ of the panel is still black, the eye will read it as black.

Blue looks great, as does a deep, deep teal. Purple usually implies leather, to me at least. Grey says cloth or plastic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!

Return to “Creative Endeavors”