Question about camoflauge painting

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Question about camoflauge painting

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Has anyone seen a good tutorial on camoflauge painting? I am asking because i kinda realize with those tau gun drones an interesting paint job would be to do some sort of camoflauge painting on the top panel as you look down from above and some sort of grey on the bottom panel as you look up.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Question about camoflauge painting

Post by kturock »

I've done some. What kinda are you looking for?

Here's some pics of models I painted camo for dystopian wars.

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=156701&start=225

bottom of the thread.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Protip:
If you click on the Blue "Subject line" at the top of your post, the address in your browser will switch to the address for that exact post.
So, you could make the link go directly there.
Like this:

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=156701&start=225#p331832

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

I mean i understand some parts of camoflauge i understand what proportions of colors to use for particular camoflauges, what im a little lost on is painting the lines. I mean it just seems willy nilly based on the tastes of the painter.

Oh on a side note i wonder has anyone ever tried this gauze and elmer's glue trick to substitue for netting? i mean it sounds like an interesting idea to use it as a decorative flourish for that tau sniper drone team.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Do you mean lines, like I have in my models? I used a permanent pen, not a sharpie, because they run. I can find them and post the name/brand if anyne is interested.

Years ago, say 40, I made sand bags fromm kleenex/facial tissue and elmers glue for sandbags for WW2 models. Basiclly you shape it and then saturate it with glue and let dry. I presume the netting isn't much different. I learned those tricks from a magazine called scale modeler, back in the 70's.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Let me see if i can phrase this a little better. I am not talking about outlining different sections with paint. I understand the priming part of painting, and i understand laying down a base coat over the primed layer and then adding the other colors to bring out details. But in the case of camoflauge painting i just don't know how to determine where to lay the sections of different colors. My basic thought was to cut some sort of wavy pattern into scotch tape and lay it down on the section of hull after its base coated. I'm just not sure how to lay down the different sections of color and make it look good.

Yea i was thinking about the netting for the sniper drone team from taus. I mean realistically they just look too.... well clean looking to be sniping. My main thought would be loosely wrapping some netting around the sniper drone gun barrels. and for the drone controller some sort of set up netting to cover the tau soldier from one direction of view. The process i picture is after spraypainting the gauze i shape it over some sort of form before literally thinly painting it with the elmers glue
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

If you look at mine, I painted the models whit white primer. Then I laid masking tape in a mostly random method, breaking up any big areas. I cut the tape up with scissors in small pieces. I then sprayed with the grey. When it dried I outlined with marker. Masking tape peels off better. That's what it's made for, masking fpr painting.

If you want 'authtentic' camo, look it up online. Otherwise, just use what colors and patterns you like. Who says you pattern isn't right?

I wouldn't paint anything until after the glue was dry. Glue, then paint.

JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Recently i developed another question about this subject. I was trying to figure out the paints to buy when well my head got a little dizzy from trying to figure out the right arcrylic shades. So i was wondering if anyone had any input. My basic idea is to do up one of one of those tau sniper teams but i figure to do the drones up nice i'd like to do some level of camoflauge. So i was wondering if anyone could point me the right shades of model paint for

U.S. Military
Desert and Forest camoflauge

I mean i know flat black, flat white, and olive drab and thats about it. THough if possible i would like to keep to testors model paints.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

You should throw out all of your Testors model paints, unless you're an ace painter with them.

They will only hold you back.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

@s_o_r_r_o_w O.o Care to explain that statment?
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Sure.

Enamels don't mix well; they're a pain to clean up; they don't thin with water; they smell bad. They're toxic.

Water based paints are fully mixable, clean up and thin with water.

You will find that very few wargamers use enamels.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:Sure.

Enamels don't mix well; they're a pain to clean up; they don't thin with water; they smell bad. They're toxic.

Water based paints are fully mixable, clean up and thin with water.

You will find that very few wargamers use enamels.
Agreed 100%

That and they are such a pain to strip (to the point where you can't even strip them off plastic without using stuff that will melt them).

Enamels are evil.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Purple power strips enamels off plastic. It's not instant, but it works. I stripped some oop plastic elder that were painted with testors.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I have never been able to find Purple power here. Green power (think that's what it's called) sure, but Purple power no.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

@s_o_r_r_o_w yea i know i should use arcrylic paints. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT USING enamels. To be honest if the testors website ever gets back online i could show you they make arcrylic paints to. What i could use help on is finding the right colors for military green camoflauge and desert camoflauge (havent decided yet which im going to do)

Return to “Creative Endeavors”