Making Custom Home Made 40k Terrian

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

lrj613 ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Making Custom Home Made 40k Terrian

Post by lrj613 »

Hey, B-Town I need some ideas and ways to make custom homemade 40k terrain for my game board that would be city fighting like buildings or an imperial fort
Last edited by lrj613 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Making Custom Home Made 40k Terrian

Post by MagickalMemories »

Any better guidelines you can give than that?
I could suggest that you use pink or blue insulation foam from a Home Depot type store to make hills but, if you're looking for Cityfight type terrain, my suggestion wouldn't be much help.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Chris33 ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Chris33 »

I was in a similar boat as you, I built a table, but don't have any terrain for it. After searching "Warhammer Building Template" on Google, I came across this thread on WarSeer.com

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ings-ruins

In that thread I found templates to make these 2 buildings:

I made those 2 buildings for $2.49 using 1/4" foam board from Hobby Lobby.

Hope this helps a bit.
lrj613 ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Post by lrj613 »

Thanks you guys
orkoid-23 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by orkoid-23 »

it would also help to put those ruins on bases, if not just to define which models are in and out of the ruins. I like to use matboard, because it's easier to cut and I can get it cheap at Hobby Lobby (in value packs and as frameshop scrap), but it does warp when you try to use too much glue/paint/other products that use water as a solvent. If you have the tools to cut it, HDF or masonite would be a better choice. Also, using a base allows you to add more detail, mainly in the form of rubble, and to that end, I just put bits of sprue, bits of p-card, waste turnings from drilling, waste plaster from casting, bad castings, slate pieces, scrap pieces of foamcore, scrap pieces of insulation foam, the crap I sweep off my work surface, and the crap i sweep off the garage floor when I spill my little waste tub for the millionth time into a large plastic tub, add some sand, mix it up, and add that mix to puddles of white glue I've spread out on the base and buildings where parts of the buildings would have fallen.

Of course, it's up to you.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

every year I go to Michaels right after xmas and pick up bags of winter trees and snow covered hills that they usually sell for their miniature winter scenes. It's a really cheap way to get scenery. I bough a bag of 20 winter trees for 5 bucks and mounted them on foamboard that I sprayed white and then spray glued snow flock onto, and the hill cost me 2.50 I think.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”