1st attempt at deathwing![UPDATEd:Knights Done]

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

urbanfusion ( 16 )
Trade Novice

1st attempt at deathwing![UPDATEd:Knights Done]

Post by urbanfusion »

So I have allied my space wolves with some Dark Angels to form the Sucker Punch alliance lol. I am newer to 40k and been seriously painting about 3-4 months. So here's my 1st attempt at some deathwing! Completely freestyled to get my armor color but I'm happy with how they turned out. Just gotta base em and do a lil detail work!
Last edited by urbanfusion on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Re: 1st attempt at deathwing!

Post by starslayer »

They look good. Hard to tell details by the pic. But a wash could work well on the DW.
urbanfusion ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Post by urbanfusion »

Yea my galaxy s3 sucks for pics. They have a seraphim sepia wash, then ill be using a black ink wash to bring out more details later tonight.
urbanfusion ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Post by urbanfusion »

Soo got home, used a lil wash, did a quick basing and i now present my finished Deathwing! Hopefully with better pics.

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: 1st attempt at deathwing![UPDATE:Termies Done]

Post by kturock »

Looks like you need to shoot the pics without a flash. It's washing out the detail.You can see in the non-lit, unlit areas how good the models look.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

They look pretty good, especially for only 3 to 4 months of serious painting experience.
Two suggestions that will really make them pop.
1:
Paint the eyes black. make sure you get the black into the recesses. Once it's dry, paint the LENS with gray (leave a ring of black around the gray. When that is dry, put a coat or 2 of red over the gray. That isn't any kind of an "award winning" recipe there, but it's about at the level you're painting and will make a HUGE difference.

2:
Get some GW black wash (whatever they're calling it) and carefully go over your silver metallics with it. It'll seep into the recesses and give you some depth.

Great start!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
urbanfusion ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Post by urbanfusion »

MagickalMemories wrote:They look pretty good, especially for only 3 to 4 months of serious painting experience.
Two suggestions that will really make them pop.
1:
Paint the eyes black. make sure you get the black into the recesses. Once it's dry, paint the LENS with gray (leave a ring of black around the gray. When that is dry, put a coat or 2 of red over the gray. That isn't any kind of an "award winning" recipe there, but it's about at the level you're painting and will make a HUGE difference.

2:
Get some GW black wash (whatever they're calling it) and carefully go over your silver metallics with it. It'll seep into the recesses and give you some depth.

Great start!

Eric
Yea I actually used nuln oil on them instead of my homemade ink wash and I was def not happy with the results. I just finished my Deathwing Knight test model which I used my own ink wash on. Ill post a pic when I get home to show the difference, thanks for the ideas!
urbanfusion ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Re: 1st attempt at deathwing![UPDATEd:Knights Done]

Post by urbanfusion »

Sooo i got around to finishing up these knight's between being sick and working ugggh. Anyway without further ado, i present my DA KNIGHTS!

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: 1st attempt at deathwing![UPDATEd:Knights Done]

Post by MagickalMemories »

Pretty solid looking group of models there.
Good work!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”