2013 Staff Challenge!!

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

2013 Staff Challenge!!

Post by HarlequinZero »

Ok folks! It's time again to start a new staff challenge! I am eliminating the resolution challenge as that really didn't seem to go over well. Back to the basics so to speak! That said, I AM keeping the points unchanged from last year. I thought those were pretty good so unless anyone has any major qualms with them I am thinking OK on that part.

Also, like last year, if you're painting something non-GW or PP and claiming a size category please photograph it next to a plain old space marine just to give everyone a sense of scale. That worked well before for helping me figure out what various things from, for example, Spartan were worth as I don't have a lot of familiarity with the figures.

So anyways, here's the point breakdown.

Regular infantry, all 6mm models, all 15mm models = 1pt.
Ogres, Ogrun, Trolls, Light Warjacks = 2pts.
Cavalry, Bikers = 3pts
Heavy Warjacks, Smallish Vehicles, Chariots = 5pts.
Large Vehicles and Monsters (Land Raiders, Valkyries, Trygon, WM War Engines, Manticores, Hellpit Abominations, Dragons, etc...) = 8pts.
Really HUGE Stuff (Titan, Stompa, Baneblade, etc...) = case by case

That's it folks! Have at it!

2013 Points Totals:

#1 - imp522 - 410.5pts
#2 - jlong05 - 33pts
#3 - HarlequinZero - 3pts
#2 - jul - 2pt
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: 2013 Staff Challenge!!

Post by Norseman »

I know simplicity is nice, but...

I propose a bonus for premium painted minis.

Most of my stuff is just tabletop or tabletop plus, and I can rip through a few squads in a night. However I notice that some of you guys do put ALOT more work into your minis. (ei Plarz and HZ.) If a mini is a true propainted mini, I would suggest that maybe we could add a "quality bonus" of up to 5 points per infantry and 10 points for a spectacular tank or jack. There would be no requesting propainted bonus, it would be awarded by the judge.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Norseman wrote:I know simplicity is nice, but...

I propose a bonus for premium painted minis.

Most of my stuff is just tabletop or tabletop plus, and I can rip through a few squads in a night. However I notice that some of you guys do put ALOT more work into your minis. (ei Plarz and HZ.) If a mini is a true propainted mini, I would suggest that maybe we could add a "quality bonus" of up to 5 points per infantry and 10 points for a spectacular tank or jack. There would be no requesting propainted bonus, it would be awarded by the judge.
I agree with Norse's idea. I think some guidelines should be created, so that it's clear what qualifies as "quality" for the Quality Bonus (QB from here on).

Some suggestions:
-Including washes, highlights and shade colors, a minimum of 6 different color paints.
-No simple washes. Even if just drybrushed, there should be some sense of highlighting being painted on.
-"Beyond the pale" photographs; If you want your model(s) considered for a QB, your pictures should show the details very well.
-Finished bases. No blank bases. Decorations, even minimalistic, should be present. I would go so far as to say that fully painted "special" bases (detailed resin bases and/or highly detailed "decorations" on a base) should be worth something extra.
-What if it's a Highly Detailed Huge model? Should the QB be greater for that than for a tank or 'Jack?

That's all I've got, so far.

... I'm gonna get me some points this year, I think. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

Thanks for the kind intentions guys, but I see two problems.

1. I am one of the people who would benefit most from this rule change being instituted, but I am the sole judge/moderator of the contest. Slight conflict of interest. :lol:

2. Already being demonstrated in Eric's post. Any sort of quality bonus is highly subjective. That's why I never put one in. I am a self confessed hobby snob. I am very uptight about painting so I just threw out quality concerns all together. If it was painted, it was worth points.

I mean, it's a nice thought and I thank you guys for the idea, but I'm not able to set it up. I would need someone else to do the points for quality and come up with the rules as I am not at all comfortable awarding bonuses to myself.
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I could award quality bonuses on minis that were not mine. Maybe

I can cross brushes with the best of them when I want to. I know how much work goes into a quality piece.

I propose the following maximums:
Regular infantry, all 6mm models, all 15mm models = QB2
Ogres, Ogrun, Trolls, Light Warjacks = QB2
Cavalry, Bikers = QB2
Heavy Warjacks, Smallish Vehicles, Chariots = QB4
Large Vehicles and Monsters (Land Raiders, Valkyries, Trygon, WM War Engines, Manticores, Hellpit Abominations, Dragons, etc...) = QB8
Really HUGE Stuff (Titan, Stompa, Baneblade, etc...) = case by case
Bahamut_Dragonlord ( 344 )
Resident Trader

Post by Bahamut_Dragonlord »

I know I am not staff, but as a suggestion, you could award the quality bonus points based on community kudos or something like that?
If I forget to post a reference for you, please let me know!
If you are not going to post a reference for me, please explain why, maybe I can fix it!
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

Ok, so if you want to do the quality points how about one staff member other than the painter has to nominate the paint job for quality points and then at least one other staff has to second the nomination? I don't know how you guys want to grade the stuff or how many points each model is worth, but I figure this method of voting is fair. (Although I am worried about the Canadian bloc making a power play. :lol: )

And here is my first model of the year! A Ravenwing biker from the new starter box. Sorry the photos aren't amazing, but they were the best I could pull off with my iPhone. I still don't have a real camera. I might look and see if I can find if there are any apps for close up photography although I'm guessing not as it would be based on the camera lens, right? Ah well, here are the pics.

Oh, and this puts me in first place for the first time EVER I think. I know it'll last about a day, but I can savor it while it lasts! :lol:
bike1-1.JPG
bike1-2.JPG
bike1-3.JPG
bike1-4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i'm getting in too.
for quality bonus, i can judge also minis that are not mine. i did that in the past in official contests.

expect my first mini of the year by the end of the day, i'm that motivated ;)

Cheers

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Nominations should be good, and just to make it easier lets do it quarterly.

How about "Quality Nominations" happen a week before and are awarded on.
March 31
June 30
Sept 30
Dec 30
Models submitted on Dec 31 not subject to Quality bonus. (to limit those last minute entry dudes)

1st Nominator - Nominates entrants body of work and submits a total bonus points.
2nd Nominator - If agreed on quality points total Confirm total. If different opinion on total quality points, would require a tiebreaker vote from another staff member.
jlong05 ( 200 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jlong05 »

OK. so I gave HarlequinZero a full day of being in first place. I think that may be enough time now.

BOOM.

Landraider - 8pts
3x Chimeras - 3x 5pts = 15pts
10x GKPA on custom bases - 10x 1pt = 10 pts

Total: 33pts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

- Finally, if you complete a trade with me, you also agree that MagickalMemories will send me a free grot in the mail.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Norseman wrote:Nominations should be good, and just to make it easier lets do it quarterly.

March 31
June 30
Sept 30
Dec 30
Models submitted on Dec 31 not subject to Quality bonus. (to limit those last minute entry dudes)

1st Nominator - Nominates entrants body of work and submits a total bonus points.
2nd Nominator - If agreed on quality points total Confirm total. If different opinion on total quality points, would require a tiebreaker vote from another staff member.
Too much work.

How about something more easily handled?

Points as listed in the first post for EVERYTHING.
If HZ thinks it's quality, he doubles the points for the model. There's no gray area. Either you get it, or you don't.
Quality can follow a certain guideline that we post here (I suggest what I already posted).

Jul has offered to judge models that aren't his. So, I propose that he judge HZ's models and updates the points in the first post for HZ. If they agree, they can even share the duties on others besides themselves.
Quick and easy.

Thoughts?

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Norseman wrote:Nominations should be good, and just to make it easier lets do it quarterly.

March 31
June 30
Sept 30
Dec 30

Too much work.

If HZ thinks it's quality, he doubles the points for the model. There's no gray area. Either you get it, or you don't.
Quality can follow a certain guideline that we post here (I suggest what I already posted).

Jul has offered to judge models that aren't his. So, I propose that he judge HZ's models and updates the points in the first post for HZ. If they agree, they can even share the duties on others besides themselves.
Quick and easy.

Thoughts?

Eric

Simple and easy I like it, so yeah if were doing this I agree with Eric
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
jlong05 ( 200 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jlong05 »

imp522 wrote:
MagickalMemories wrote:

March 31
June 30
Sept 30
Dec 30

Too much work.

Quick and easy.

Thoughts?

Eric

Simple and easy I like it, so yeah if were doing this I agree with Eric
Thirded and passed!
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

- Finally, if you complete a trade with me, you also agree that MagickalMemories will send me a free grot in the mail.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Jul? HZ? You guys okay with that? It puts a bit extra on your plates.

Eric

HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

I'll do it if that's the consensus on method.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”