Moderator: Moderators

jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: Am I that old....

Post by jul »

a bit of painting today....

Cheers

J.
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

back to the real world after some time off well deserved. i wish i was still back up North as the work load has been crazier than ever since i came back. guess it is always like that every back to school period...

anyway,

i managed to play 2 games during my time off.
one with the Tau at 1500 pts and was quite happy of the overall performance. My friend was testing the new Eldar dex with a lot of different units and while his list was lacking a focus point, the avatar, the scorpions, the blobs of guardians, the wraithguards and the wave serpents are still scary things to see on the table. Still the little blue men managed to stay out of assault range and wiped out the pointy ears. The fire base of 18 fire warriors, 5 path finders, the ethereal and the fireblade are really good, i mean who doesn't like 50+ shots at STR 5, BS 5. The riptide never came to play as i left it reserve and the game was done before he could join in.

The second game was a fratricide 300 pts JSA, i was trying a couple of things so it was first time for the Haramaki. Full squad of 5 with a miisile launcher and they are quite impressive, i added Shinobu, Miyamoto and 2 keisotsu HMG
They were facing O-Yoroi, Sniper Ninjas, Karakuri, 2 Domarus and some grunts.
Let's say the crazy koalas were a pain, but once the O-Yoroi disabled, it was a bit easier to manage the rest of the force. we ended with a 4-2 score for the Haramakis crew. Next i'll try the Aragot Senkenbutai....
Infinity is really a nice game and i enjoyed every game i played so far, even the one i was washed out in 2 turns.... true that the numbers of rules and the steep learnign curve can be scary but anyone that palyed more than 2 wargames can enjoy it quickly

Beside that, Iron Hands were removed from my "do not really care if i sell it or not" to the next SM army. i worked one a small army list that could be accommodated with the models i already have and limiting the purchase of new ones slightly:

Here's the list, 2000 pts:

Captain:
-The Shield Eternal
-Relic Blade
-Artificer Armour
-Teleport Homer

Command Squad:
-4 flamers
-Apothecary
Drop Pod

ride with the Captain and the MotF, forward assault unit

Master of the Forge

Tactical Squad:
-10 marines
-flamers
-missile lauchers
-flakk missiles
-melta bomb
Drop Pod

b]Tactical Squad:[/b]
-10 marines
-meltagun
-multimelta
-power fist
Drop Pod

b]Tactical Squad:[/b]
-10 marines
-gravgun
-plasma cannon
-grav pistol
Drop Pod

Objectives takers, or massive joint drop in your deployment zone

Sternguard Veterans
-4 combi-meltas
-power fist
-plasma pistol
Drop Pod
-Deathwing Launcher
-Locator Beacon

Tank Hunters, termis-hunters, monster hunters,.... hunters!

Dreadnought
-Heavy Flamer
-Extra Armour
Lucius Drop Pod

first turn charger, vehicule killer, drop with command squad

Iron Clad Dreadnought
-2 heavy flamers
-Chain Fist
-Ironclad assault launchers
Lucius Drop Pod

The cover annihilator, the blob annihilator, the annihilator, drop with command squad

Terminator Assault Squad
-thunder hammer and storm shield

Support for the command squad, if CC is a bit though, otherwise go after the support squads...

C&C welcome as nothing is set in stone

would love the idea to add deathstorm drop pods...

otherwise, anyone felt the urge to open a FW credit line recently.... Ferrus is beautiful and those SoH helmets are lovely...

Cheers

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
carmachu ( 686 )
Expert Trader

Post by carmachu »

jul wrote:Oi Btown,

For that last 2 years or so, i digged old Rogue Trader models, espacially the Marines' ones. Firstly as a reminder how how fun the game used to be (i'm not saying it's no fun anymore, just different) and also how kitch the universe and the models were. Almost 24 years after RT, i'm still in love with those models, even if i know they are nowhere near what GW and FW can produce now in terms of quality and sculpts. So here's the project, the long one as i paint rarely and play even more rarely. the goal was to get a copy of every model produced during the RT era. i already owned when i started a good chuck of them, i'm know around the 95% mark completed. Then the goal moved towards putting an army with those models (legal for V.5)...
here are the pics, excuse the bad pictures, photographs and tabletop design...

Tactical Terminators

While I haven't read through the threat, I can tell you flat out those are not RT terminators. 2nd edition ones mostly.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

carmachu wrote:
While I haven't read through the threat, I can tell you flat out those are not RT terminators. 2nd edition ones mostly.
I think you're wrong, mate.

I agree with jul that those are the fourth iteration of Terminators, still firmly within Rogue Trader on their release, and typified by their hollow vent cut outs on the back and their v-shaved shoulder pads. Arms are also slightly more compact than the later 2nd ed revamp of the models.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1989/c89 ... nes-02.htm
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

S_o_r_r_o_w is right as i am, those terms come from the RTB09 box set, i know i bought the box when they got released...
The cyclone models and close combat versions were available in blisters around the same time

the 2nd edition termies have more rounded shoulder pads, back vents are plain, heads are larger and legs are larger. also all the weapons have been redone for the 2nd edition.
the second edition termies came first with the Space Wolves codex (1993-1994), then got made available in blank Ultramarines and Dark angels version. they got removed completely with the release of the 4th edition plastic terms (eventhough the standard version was already replaced by the plastic 3rd edition version from Space Hulk.

for a small chronology, termies that are considered RT are:
-plastic Space Hulk 1st Ed.
-all 3 prototypes version
-RTB09 version.
all those were released before 1990, 1993 being the release of the 2nd edition

what could lead into confusion is that RT models are heavily pictured into the the rulebooks of the 2nd edition, as the redone versions were not finished at the time of the release.

J.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

AS much as I am NOT a -shall we say- "GW Historian," sometimes I really like seeing you guys who ARE "GW Historians" get in here and talk about this stuff.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

jul wrote:what could lead into confusion is that RT models are heavily pictured into the the rulebooks of the 2nd edition, as the redone versions were not finished at the time of the release.
For a time, at least, many of the Blood Angels models that were photographed for the Second Edition books were stored in a glass case at the Games Workshop store in Hammersmith (England). Forgive my crappy camera - these pictures were made with 11-year-old technology:

You can see an RTB-01 beekee Devastator Squad, Rogue Trader Terminators, Apothecary, Servitors, Librarian, and the scout squad made from the plastic guys that came with Advanced Space Crusade. If you have your Second Edition Rulebook handy, they're in several of the full-colour photographs that begin on page 50. The scouts and Terminators are also on the back cover of the Second Edition Codex Imperialis.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Hammersmith store.... i played there....;)
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

jul wrote:Hammersmith store.... i played there....;)
It was the smallest of the lot, but they had more WH40K artifacts (including the entire Ultramarines chapter!) on display than any of the other GW's I visited over there. I should have liked to spend some more time there.
s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:I think you're wrong, mate.

I agree with jul that those are the fourth iteration of Terminators, still firmly within Rogue Trader on their release, and typified by their hollow vent cut outs on the back and their v-shaved shoulder pads. Arms are also slightly more compact than the later 2nd ed revamp of the models.
Here are, from left to right, a First Edition (RTB-09) sergeant, a plastic Second Edition sergeant (the same ones from Second Edition Space Hulk), and a metal Second Edition thunder hammer/storm shield model. If you click for the super-size version, it's pretty easy to see what s_o_r_r_o_w is describing with regards to the v-shaped shoulder pauldrons.

(click for super-sized version)

Here are two First Edition close combat Terminators. The model on the left uses one of the bodies from the RTB-09 box, but the model on the right has the distinctive close combat body with the lightning bolt design on the right poleyn and the funny nubbins on the boots. Again, like s_o_r_r_o_w said, the shoulder pauldrons are almost pointy rather than the more robust and rounded design that came along during Second Edition.

(click for super-sized version)
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i stayed in Hammersmith over a summer, so that was the place i crashed most of the time. i remember playing a kid with Trakka equipped with a jump pack (2nd edition) that was brutal... i enjoyed also the one in Plazza too, but was a bit more crowded. If i recall properly the Hammersmith store was the first GW store to open. I think it closed a couple of years ago.

As for the termies, i might still have blister of assault termies with Thunder hammer somewhere...;)

J
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

jul wrote:i stayed in Hammersmith over a summer, so that was the place i crashed most of the time. i remember playing a kid with Trakka equipped with a jump pack (2nd edition) that was brutal... i enjoyed also the one in Plazza too, but was a bit more crowded.
I visited GW Oxford Circus, where they had a terminator torso in the window, and stopped in a couple of times at GW Edinburgh there on the Royal Mile. The former reminded me a lot of the no-nonsense corporate stores here in the US, but the latter had that Local Gaming Store feel to it - something that, thankfully I've found again at GW Denton Town Crossing.

Second Edition certainly had its merits, if you and your opponent could agree to not let the game devolve into "HeroHammer", where a couple of kitted out characters basically fight the whole battle by themselves. I still like Necromunda, which was based on those rules, and enjoy the hell out of Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, which is also ... loosely based on them as well.
jul wrote:If i recall properly the Hammersmith store was the first GW store to open. I think it closed a couple of years ago.
That's a shame. For a crack between two buildings with a roof over it, it had more GW flavour than any of the other GW's I went to.
jul wrote:As for the termies, i might still have blister of assault termies with Thunder hammer somewhere...
I have plenty with the assault body, but not as many with thunder hammers as I thought I did.

Many years ago, there was an accident at the US warehouse where GW stored its metal bitz inventory. Several of the shelves collapsed, crashing together and knocking over other shelves, until there was just a huge mess with thousands upon thousands of tiny bitz all confounded together. Rather than trying to sort this out, as it didn't seem worth the time and manpower, GW offered a deal to everybody: you could pay a gross amount, and they'd scoop up a pound or two worth of completely random bitz out of the pile and mail them to you.

My buddy and I got in on this, and I ended up with a whole bunch of Space Marine Terminator lightning claws. So now, I have a ton of LC Termies, but only a precious few with TH/SS.

On the plus side, since my army is Blood Angels, and I own the Third Edition Space Hulk, I have the best-looking Terminators that Citadel has ever sculpted. Now, if I could just get motivated to paint them...
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

psiekier wrote: Many years ago, there was an accident at the US warehouse where GW stored its metal bitz inventory. Several of the shelves collapsed, crashing together and knocking over other shelves, until there was just a huge mess with thousands upon thousands of tiny bitz all confounded together. Rather than trying to sort this out, as it didn't seem worth the time and manpower, GW offered a deal to everybody: you could pay a gross amount, and they'd scoop up a pound or two worth of completely random bitz out of the pile and mail them to you.

My buddy and I got in on this, and I ended up with a whole bunch of Space Marine Terminator lightning claws. So now, I have a ton of LC Termies, but only a precious few with TH/SS.
You got lucky. I got 8.5 lbs of Warmaster Undead, some Empire, and a couple of Chaos stands.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i got Shoulder Pads....lots of shoulder pads and some random stuff....
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i knew i had somewhere...

would have to open it to complete the squad though...

on the other hand, i found this last week for a decent price:

box was missing 2 sprues, but i have stock...
My collection of box sets so far:
-RTB01, complete, open
-RTB05, complete, shrinkwrapped
-RTB08, complete, shrinkwrapped
-RTB09, complete, open
-RTB11, complete, open
-RTB15, complete, open

and in 2nd Ed.:
-Land raider, complete, shrinkwrapped
-4 Rhinos, complete, shrinkwrapped

i might go after RTB03 and RTB04 even though i got all the models already ;)

beside that, my vacations are coming soon, so i need a new army list for my bi-yearly games in Montreal

this time, it's probably going to be either a Tau-Eldar list or a SM list.

Tau-Eldar:

HQ:
-Tau Cadre Fireblade
-Tau Ethereal
-Eldar Spiritseer
-Eldar Spiritseer

Troop:
-9 Tau Fire Warriors
-9 Tau Fire Warriors
-6 Tau Fire Warriors + Devilfish disruption pod
-10 Kroot Carnivors + Kroothound + sniper rifles
-5 Eldar Wraith Guards + Wave Serpent scatter lasers, holo-field
-5 Eldar Wraith Blades + Wave Serpent scatter lasers, holo-field

Fast
-5 Tau Pathfinders
-5 Tau Pathfinders

Heavy:
-2 Tau Broadsides full missile + 4 missiles drones
-1 Eldar Wraith Knight suncannon, scatter laser
1849 pts

SM:

HQ:
-Captain:
relic blade
eternal shield
artificer armour

-Command Squad
Apo.
4 flamers
Drop Pod

Troop:
-8 Tacticals
plasmagun
combo-plasma gun
drop pod

-8 Tacticals
plasmagun
combo-plasma gun
drop pod

-8 Tacticals
Flamer
combo-flamer
drop pod

Elite:
-5 Sternguards
4 combi meltas
power fist
plasma pistol
drop pod

-Dreadnought
heavy flamer
drop pod

-Contemptor Dreadnought
2 CCW with plasma blasters
Cyclone missile launcher
Targeting Augury
Lucius Drop pod

Heavy Support:
-Mortis contemptor
2 twin linked Kheres assault cannons
Cyclone missile launcher
lucius drop pod

1851 pts

i'm still in the draft stages but the ideas are there....

C&C welcome....

Cheers

J
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

jul wrote:-9 Tau Fire Warriors
-9 Tau Fire Warriors

-8 Tacticals
Why the unusual number of squadboyz, jul? Is this like that "sacred numbers" thing with Chaos, harkening back to First Edition?

Return to “Creative Endeavors”