Ancientsociety's Random Blog (10/29 Crate Stacks)

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (11/12 - HGA Duelist)

Post by ancientsociety »

I'm finally finished with work on the shanty town and wanted to post pics of the finished pieces before painting and small details. I mentioned how they were built in my previous post so I won't re-hash that here.

More info and MUCH more pics here

Trading Guidelines:
1. Lower rating ships first - even if I am purchasing.
2. If you agree to buy something, you have 72hrs. in which to pay. If payment is not received in 72hrs., I will automatically post a Non-Payment/Backout thread.
3. Refs are left upon positive receipt of goods, NEVER beforehand!
4. I accept Paypal & USPS money orders and charge for shipping AT COST. I make no profit from it.
5. I trade NIB/new models at retail.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (11/26 - WIP Shanty Town)

Post by Norseman »

Those look amazing. That is going to be one sweet theme table.

Do you separate cardboard to get to the liner(wavy part) or have you found a source for open liner cardboard.

I have tried to separate cardboard for use in trenches and I found it looked a little rough. Yours look very nice and clean.
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

Norseman wrote:Those look amazing. That is going to be one sweet theme table.

Do you separate cardboard to get to the liner(wavy part) or have you found a source for open liner cardboard.

I have tried to separate cardboard for use in trenches and I found it looked a little rough. Yours look very nice and clean.
These are from the small flat rate USPS packages, since the corrugation is perfectly scaled to 28mm. I put one side under the tap to thoroughly wet it, set it aside for a few minutes so it's not soaking wet, then begin removing the wet side by pulling WITH the corrugation. Set aside to dry flat and they come out nicely.

Sometimes, if you're VERY careful, you can remove both flat sides and have double-sided corrugated board! :-D
Trading Guidelines:
2. If you agree to buy something, you have 72hrs. in which to pay. If payment is not received in 72hrs., I will automatically post a Non-Payment/Backout thread.
4. I accept Paypal & USPS money orders and charge for shipping AT COST. I make no profit from it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Of course, he only uses PREVIOUSLY USED USPS boxes for this because to do otherwise would be a federal offense.
He is, essentially, recycling used boxes.

RIGHT? :mrgreen:

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

MagickalMemories wrote:Of course, he only uses PREVIOUSLY USED USPS boxes for this because to do otherwise would be a federal offense.
He is, essentially, recycling used boxes.

RIGHT? :mrgreen:

Eric
Of course, with all the trading I do, I have tons of boxes from other people!
Trading Guidelines:
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/4 - Shanty Town)

Post by ancientsociety »

Well, it's not as nice as I wanted it to be but for a few days work (total), I think it makes a fairly nice board. Mostly, I'm frustrated by the fact that the weathered wood tutorial I found online do NOT work the way the author pictured (which is why much of the wooden pieces appear white-washed, rather than weathered).

More pics on my blog

Trading Guidelines:
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/4 - Shanty Town)

Post by ancientsociety »

A little conversion of Reaper's "Ape-X" I did recently. Mostly this consisted of replacing his right weapon-hand with a Mutant Goo Cannon made from brass tubing and Armorcast's Cinematic Effects fluid stream. I also added a small pressure valve to its backpack.

Scale comparison on my blog post
Trading Guidelines:
Soulbinder ( 60 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/11 - Ape-X)

Post by Soulbinder »

Very nicely done, I really like the goo effect this mini reminds me of the one in the Spawn comic...Keep up the great work...:)
'Khazukan Kazakit-ba'

I do not have paypal, I can only send a cashiers check or postal money order..Will not pay or ship first unless your rating is higher than mine...Thanks Soulbinder
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/11 - Ape-X)

I REALLY like the splatter effect on the base. it looks really good.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/19 - Great Worm)

Post by ancientsociety »

Just a quickie before the holiday today - a re-paint of a pre-paint, Reaper's Legendary Encounters Great Worm. I mounted this on a 60mm base and built up its "entry hole" with slate pebbles and gravel. Then I re-painted the main body, focusing on eliminating the out-of-place silver highlights between the upper and lower torso, and finishing with a reddish-pink mouth and brighter teeth.

A quick drybrush over the pebbles and gravel to bring out the highlights and a purple wash and its done. Disgusting!

Trading Guidelines:
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/19 - Great Worm)

Post by CMSheats »

The ape and worm both look really awesome man! I to really like the base of the ape. : )
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Ancientsociety's Random Blog (12/20 - Bizarre Bazaar)

Post by ancientsociety »

I threw together a small marketplace in a few days this past weekend. I was inspired by Nevermore's thread on Lead Adventure on how to make simple market stalls from matchsticks and foamboard. The tutorial is really simple and the only changes I made were adding a second crossbrace to the end pieces and using pre-printed fabrics on the roofs.

I used some charms as small sculptures, rolls of fabric, some dollhouse cutlery and dishes, and various weapons to round out the goods offered.

The sack stacks are made from oven-baked clay. I just rolled out a length, cut small pieces and tapered the edges before building up the stack and using a piece of canvas to add texture to the surface of the stacks. 30 minutes of bake time and 30 minutes of drybrushing and a wash and viola! - instant sacks!

More pics of the market here
Trading Guidelines:
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

You said, "Instant sacks."
Heh heh. Heh heh.

On a serious note, I REALLY like the base on the worm. Well modeled!

Eric

HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

Congrats on your win in the Golden Gear Mascot category!
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

A recent mini I finished for a Rackham painting contest. I couldn't get the lights right when taking the photos, so there's some color bleeding of the red cape. It's actually shaded quite a bit more from purple shadows to a deep red in the highlights.

Trading Guidelines:

Return to “Creative Endeavors”