The praises of Purple Power

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

The praises of Purple Power

Post by kturock »

I use Purple Power to strip minis. I've used it on every type of mini and plastic and all types of paint. The only thing I've had problems removing is cheap Walmart Flat Black paint I use as primer. If softens it to be scrapped off; but not actually removes it.
I just found out that removes Sharpie pen from plastic. I use Ozark Trail Outdoor Equipment tackle boxes to store minis.
I write on the clear cover what minis are stored below. I moved models to another box and used Purple Power to remove the Sharpie ink. It took some elbow grease, but it gone.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Re: The praises of Purple Power

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Welcome to the Purple Power cult brother. :)
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I've been a member since.... YOU did the review.
it was you, that did the full comparison, right?
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Sadly I cannot get Purple Power where I am, so I have to stick to Dettol. Does the job pretty well, but the smell is crazy strong.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

kturock wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:04 am
I've been a member since.... YOU did the review.
it was you, that did the full comparison, right?
I've reviewed it before. Don't remember if I did it here though.

@3eland - Purple Power is very similar to Castrol Super Clean (or now just known as Super Clean). PP is usually cheaper than SC and doesn't smell quite as strong. If you can't find PP look for SC. I started with SC and then tried PP as it was significantly cheaper. It gave virtually the same results when stripping minis so I never looked back.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

3eland wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:08 pm
Sadly I cannot get Purple Power where I am...
Says the Canadian who lives so close to the US border that he has a P.O. Box here!

LOL

E
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:25 am
3eland wrote:
Says the Canadian who lives so close to the US border that he has a P.O. Box here!

LOL

E
You're thinking Sorrow. I'm further north.

Plus, Canadian Border Customs is suuuuuuper *edit* with bringing stuff into Canada.

@Young - I'll look for Super Clean though! Is there a specific store you get it from? I've found Simple Green before, but only the diluted stuff. Had a model in that for a week and it didn't even soften the paint.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

WalMart is usually a consistent source. Auto parts stores might also carry one or both and their intended purpose is engine parts de-greasing.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

and my thumb and forefinger are still recuperating

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

3eland wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:50 am
MagickalMemories wrote:
3eland wrote:

LOL

E

Plus, Canadian Border Customs is suuuuuuper *edit* with bringing stuff into Canada.

@Young - I'll look for Super Clean though! Is there a specific store you get it from? I've found Simple Green before, but only the diluted stuff. Had a model in that for a week and it didn't even soften the paint.
My bad.
I really DID think you were that close, too.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I let mine go when I got some in-laws in Boston. LOL

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:03 pm
3eland wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:50 am
MagickalMemories wrote:

LOL

E

My bad.
I really DID think you were that close, too.

Eric
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

I've always used simple green on plastic and citra strip on metal but I will have to give this a try
sincerely,

Matt
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

larks wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:15 pm
I've always used simple green on plastic and citra strip on metal but I will have to give this a try
Simple green can melt the plastic. I use it at work to remove glue and residue.

eilif ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by eilif »

Simple Green shouldn't melt plastic unless something really drastic has changed. Simple Green used to be as good as Purple. I used it to strip 100+ plastic minis safely.

Then 6 years or so ago. they took out 2Butoxethanol, the active ingredient that is still in Purple and Super Clean. Green doesn't strip as well anymore. I switched to Purple Power and haven't looked back. Got 4 gallons of Purple in a reclosable kitty litter bucket with a large mesh filter bucket I put figures in for easy retrieval.

Been using the same batch for a few years now. Probably going to rotate out the bottom gallon soon.

Use solvent resident gloves though (I use Solvex) Purple Power can do nasty things to your skin.
Chicago Skirmish Wargames.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Join us for some friendly wargaming in the windy City!
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

eilif wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:59 pm
Simple Green shouldn't melt plastic unless something really drastic has changed. Simple Green used to be as good as Purple. I used it to strip 100+ plastic minis safely.

Then 6 years or so ago. they took out 2Butoxethanol, the active ingredient that is still in Purple and Super Clean. Green doesn't strip as well anymore. I switched to Purple Power and haven't looked back. Got 4 gallons of Purple in a reclosable kitty litter bucket with a large mesh filter bucket I put figures in for easy retrieval.

Been using the same batch for a few years now. Probably going to rotate out the bottom gallon soon.

Use solvent resident gloves though (I use Solvex) Purple Power can do nasty things to your skin.
gloves? bah!. lol
I dump the used PP down the drain, since it's a degreaser.
or on weeds to kill them.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”