Bartertown Charity Army 2023 (Orks it is!!!) Now we need your help, please read!

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Bartertown Charity Army 2023 (Orks it is!!!) Now we need your help, please read!

Post by ssapper »

Hello all!

Perhaps some of you remember a few years back we raised a few Charity Armies Specifically a Nova Marine force, and a Deathwatch. We then auctioned them off. And while one went on eBay, the other went to the Nova Open Charitable Foundation. Together, they raised thousands of dollars for charity. WWP and BCA and Doctors without Borders.

I am interested in heading up another charity army for 2023, and I am hopeful members of this amazing community would like to volunteer their time and miniatures to participate and support it.

Here is the basic Premise.
You get a unit selection. (This could be from your pile of shame...aka treasures, or a new one you decide to buy.)
Build it and paint it. (More details follow)
Send it in to join the rest of the Army. (Acknowledge you are accepting the costs of shipping your small part of the Army.)
Do not base it. Please place it on the current scale base, however do not actually do any basing on the base.

Once the Army is assembled, I will base the entire Army for uniformity. This helps the appeal and value increase.
Big conventions will not officially accept any project from us until it is completed. But I have established contact in two separate major shows. And if all else fails we can auction it online ourselves (We will just have to utilize our own networks and likely I will pay all the fees to cover the expenditure). However I am confident in our ability as a community to pull this off. I am sure they do not want to advertise and market for a project that could miss deadlines and or fail. We need to set the June 6th (D-Day) as our individual deadlines for completed models. Build and painted. This way you can have them shipped by then, it will give us some wiggle room with international shipping and creative artistic delays (Life Happens). I will then spend the end of June basing and with any luck they are accepted and off to a major show in time for the summer convention season. This gives them a window to market and advertise to the global gaming force and sell raffle tickets to help charity. In the event the entire project is not of a quality that anyone will accept, we will run our own online auction, it may raise less, but it will still help some.

The bigger shows have a few charities they all prefer to support, if they accept the Army we may have a limited input on which charity, but if we auction it ourself, we will run a separate poll to figure out which charity we wish to contribute to.

We will use January to spread awareness of our project across other media platforms, in hopes of recruiting additional supporters, as well as gaining the attention of the larger community. (Hopefully drawing some new members to Btown just out of interest if nothing more.)
Buy the end of January I will have settled on a simple, 10 color or less painting tutorial up on Youtube for us all to utilize. The hope is one of my compadres will make us a personalized no thrill video, but I will dig through the data bases online and settle on a simple tutorial that we can use.

In previous years we had many willing to paint or donate miniatures, just not both. There is some risk there just like any Btown transaction, only send miniatures to someone you trust. I can not paint an entire army myself, I have a million projects of my own, family, college, my own side business, and many more complications just like you. But I will contribute. I will donate and contribute an entire unit selection, possibly up to three. And that is completely ok. HQ, Troops, Elites, whatever we each want to individually donate is completely ok. We will start a running tally following this blurp, that will identify the unit and the donator and the status. Hopefully this can help keep us motivated. For some painting a unit or vehicle in six minutes is easy, others will need all six months. And that is fine. If your fast, feel free to donate multiple units.

(MM, if we have your continued support, can you please elevate this thread to a higher visibility, Thanks in advance.)

To some this may already seem long, and yet I am sure there are a few if not many questions. So please, fire away. I will do my best to be on here a lot over the next few days and then establish a regular check in routine just to monitor this thread. As questions are addressed I will edit in updated information to the original thread if pertinent.

An Ork Army is really a tempting Idea, so all we have to do is settle on a skin tone combo, and then a general unifying color to spread across the Army and then any variances in skill or color pallet can be written off as just being ORKY, what are your thoughts?

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ssapper on Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Bartertown Charity Army 2022 (Orks???)

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'd LOVE to see a Bad Moons Orky army.
Failing that, an easy SM army would be good, too, I think.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

I am down for some greenskins!
YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Interesting coincidence? I'm currently dialing in my Bad Moons scheme...
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:39 am
I'd LOVE to see a Bad Moons Orky army.
YoungWolf777 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:38 pm
Interesting coincidence? I'm currently dialing in my Bad Moons scheme...
I'd be down to paint up some greenskins.

Anything but SM.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah I feel SM are done way too often for charity (understandably so). I think throwing it a curveball and doing something different could be cool. A Xenos army for sure. Orks, nids or crons. Easy to paint, but can still vary in paint and design and still make sense.

You do know Plarz knows the peeps from NOVA right? Have you ever reached out to him re: the army?

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

3eland, I am friends with four of the board members from NOVA/NOCF as well. But as stated, big projects like this coming from the wild they will not accept until it is complete, and it needs to be complete at least 2 months prior to NOVA to be accepted, if we go that route. Which may be a goal, we just can not boast we have their support, until the project is complete. So first, we must recruit, recruit, and recruit some more!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

So, why not just say "F. It" and do Orks?

Also... I'd love a response on the resin printed non-GW stuff. Will NOVA allow it?
If they will, I'd be happy to volunteer to print out a few things... maybe even get some content creators to provide free files for a plug?

I'd gladly go out, ask people for files, resin, whatever... to help the printing effort to include non-GW stuff in the army.
That's not to say I'm pushing to have non-GW stuff in it. Just that, if we do, I would be glad to help in that way.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

MM
I am all for Orks, but as this is a community project, we calculated a few days for rolling around ideas and opinions. Who knows, maybe a silent member has an entire army they would like to part out to painters and that could change things, or who knows, maybe we could have had 20 comments stating folks had SM troops in excess and wanted to go that way to mitigate funding issues.

But yes, as it stands it appears we are zeroing in on Orks,,,rah, rah, rah!

Depending on the printed item, perhaps it is ok, but generally printed armies are worthless, so unsure how a printed army would help raise money in our hobby. But if you are talking printing upgrades, or more orky bits, I can not imagine some kit bashing as an ork would be a problem. But it is not clear to me if you are talking printed units, or printed bits. I personally do not care what anyone donates, paint covers all sins...

Perhaps @Youngwolf777 would like to donate his efforts in dialing in on his own orks and allow us to utilize that scheme for the base colors for this project and with that we can progress more rapidly?

ssapper
YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

If we do go with Orks, I have the following models that I can donate to the cause:
  • 10 Stormboyz
  • 5 Deffkoptas (AoBR)
  • up to 20 Shoota Boyz + Nob / Big Shootas or Rokkits
  • up to 20 Slugga/Choppa Boyz + Nob / Big Shootas or Rokkits
  • Possibly 1 Warboss Grukk with Attack Squig (have to find him in the bins)
I doubt I could paint all of that by myself in time. (What is the target date?)

It would be nice if the army is at least somewhat competitive out of the gate. I'm not a player, but I do follow the meta scene out of morbid curiosity/ Here's the two "top tier" Ork lists in the tourney scene right now:
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-2021-war ... list/#Orks

As for the paint scheme, I typically don't use GW paints. That being said I can acquire some and work out the scheme using those as a baseline as they're likely the lowest common denominator.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

I am fine with orks. I will troll the bins and see if I can order up some goodies. As I have zero 40k stuff unpainted, and haven't played in a decade, but I am down to donate some greenskins!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Bartertown Charity Army 2022 (Orks it is!!!) Now we need your help, please read!

I was referring to printed models.
I've got a resin printer that I'm LOVING using right now. I have some interesting Ork model downloads that I thought were cool looking sculpts, but that I have ZERO use for. This would give me a reason to bust one out.

Eric

YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Bartertown Charity Army 2022 (Orks it is!!!) Now we need your help, please read!

Post by YoungWolf777 »

As much as I love my printed Orks, it's probably best that we stick with official models for this project. As the other Eric pointed out ( :D ), there's no perceived "value" to a 3D printed model currently and they are outlawed by GW at tourneys & stores...
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

YOU SHUT UP, HATER!

LOL

Honestly, I didn't care what GW thinks... I was more concerned with how NOVA would feel about it. You know? They might be more interested in kissing GW's tushie than we are.

Not sure what I'll do yet.
I have a half finished Chinork conversion (Stormraven base with plasticard and GW bits) that I abandoned when I abandoned Orks. Maybe I'll break it out?
Ugh. Then I have to paint it.
Oh... an excuse to break out the airbrush! : )

I also have a Looted Carnifex that was going to be a Deff Dread that I abandoned... but I kinda want to eventually put THAT on my shelf.
Oh, poo! I don't know...

I'll figure SOMETHING out! LOL

@ssapper-
If you want to put a "trade" ad in the GW Futuristic forum asking for people to donate to this project, feel free (just be sure that they know it's PAINTED models). Make sure to say the ad was approved by me, so we don't see a bunch of people hitting the "Report" button. : )

BeeCee ( 148 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by BeeCee »

I saw the ad in the trading forums and i'm down to help contribute.

I bought a Speed Freeks army that has now fallen down on my project priority list and i'd be willing to donate and paint a buggy/unit of warbikers/defkilla wartrike (pick one)

I could also either do a unit of 3 Defkoptas (the new ones from the Combat Patrols) or a unit of 10 Ork Boyz (again the new ones from the combat patrol)

Let me know how I can help!

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”