A new Trader Omnibus

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

A new Trader Omnibus

Post by Doctari »

So you’re going to try to sale/trade some of your miniatures, eh?

Have you read the rules and agree to them? (viewtopic.php?f=82&t=318551)

GREAT!

Here’s some tips to help you get started!

Acronyms
Here is a list of commonly used acronyms and what they mean!

WTT: Want to trade
WTS: Want to Sale
WTB: Want to Buy
PM/DM: Private Message/Direct Message
NIB: New in Box
NOS: New on Sprue

PREP
1. Make a list of everything you are going to be selling or trading. A list is essential so that:
a. You know what you have and how many of them you have.
b. Your buyer can easily determine if you have what they are after
c. You can update what you have left if you decide to split your lot up so you don’t have to answer a lot of “Do you have X left” messages
2. Take pictures of everything you are selling. Yes everything. Yup, that too. This is a time saver in the long run. If your items are not NOS/NIB almost anyone you trade with is going to want a picture, and even if they don’t ask for one offering to send them one will put people’s minds at ease and help make the trade go smoothly.
3. Take a moment to note down the condition of everything you are selling. Some people simply won’t be in the market for stuff that’s not NIB/NOS, and some people only want stuff that’s already assembled, a small annotation beside each item will save a lot of time with having to answer “What condition is X in” messages.
4. Decide how much you want to get for your items (if selling) or what you want to trade for them (if trading) or both if you are going to be flexible. A great place to find actual market value is Ebay. Search for the item you are selling and then on the left hand column select “Sold Listings”, this will give you a list of the price buyers have been willing to pay for the product. A couple of other things to keep in mind:
a. If the buyer can purchase the item cheaper on ebay, generally they will.
b. Condition matters, NIB>NOS>Assembled>Primed>Painted (unless immaculate, literal professionally painted, and even then sometimes not)
c. Everyone can find new models for 15% off with free shipping (after a set amount purchased) online.
Your post
How exciting! It’s time to post your first sales post! Here’s some things you can do to make it stand out from the hoi polloi.
1. Use descriptive words in your subject line. Be sure to describe what you have to trade/sale and what you are looking to get.
a. Good: WTS Primaris Marine Army (XXXX Pts), Looking for Paypal, other Warhammer Armies
b. Bad: Have lots of space things. Lking 4 thng.
2. In the body of your post start with what you have for sale/trade. Outline its quantity, its condition, and your expected price (if applicable). Be as clear and brief as possible. While a complete description of the models is appreciated, a back story on how you were drawn to them is probably not needed.
3. After listing what you have to sale/trade take a moment to list what you’re looking for. Use the same attention to detail that you used when listing your haves. This will save you and your potential partner time and frustration.
4. List what service you will be using to ship your items (and any applicable charges). Again be very clear to avoid any confusion.
5. Finally list any special requirements you might have.

Example:

<Title> WTS: Primaris Space Marine Army (NIB/NOS) Want: Cash

<Body> I have the following to sale:

1 Primaris half of the Dark Imperium Box Set (NOS) $80
2 Primaris Repulsor Tanks (NIB) $60 Each
4 sets of 5 Scouts with Sniper Rifles (NIB) $20 each

If you want the entire lot I can do 240

At this point I’m only looking for cash via paypal.

Shipping will be USPS and is included in the price if you purchase the lot or actual cost if you purchase the individual units.

Lowest rating ships first, buyer must pay before shipping

Communication/Bartering

<TBD>

Packing your shipment
Packing your shipment to ensure your trading partner doesn’t receive a box of plastic and metal scrap is of paramount importance. Next to out and out scams the biggest cause of “bad trades” is probably poor packing and tardy shipment.
Some things to remember when shipping models:
1. The box you use matters. A new, sturdy cardboard box will help ensure that your item reaches its destination without being crushed or damaged. The thin cardboard boxes that most Warhammer models come in are not rated for any crushing pressure (and are shipped to stores inside larger, sturdier boxes) and as such are NOT acceptable for shipping.
2. You should remove any stickers/markings from the outside of any reused boxes. This includes tracking stickers, address labels, or markings from previous shipments. If you cannot get the sticker off black out any writing or barcodes using a heavy black marker.
3. Movement is the enemy when shipping. Any empty space in box should be filled with an appropriate packing material. I suggest using foam peanuts (available at any UPS store, uline.com, or similar) but if you don’t have access to any I would suggest using plastic bags from a supermarket or big box store. You can compress them and they will form around the models. Your goal is that once the box is fully packed if shook you will not hear any rattling. If it rattles, you can pretty much expect something to not arrive in one piece.
I would not suggest toilet paper/paper towels as filler material but your mileage may vary. Paper products have never worked for me.
4. If possible you should wrap any model that you don’t want rubbing against another model with bubble wrap. Placing 20 models in a bag and the filling the area around it will result in broken models and hurt feelings.

Shipping: *NOTE THIS IS FOR NORTH AMERICA ONLY, INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS BEYOND MY PERVUE DUE TO COSTS INVOLVED*

Shipping your miniatures in 202x presents it's own set of challenges.

The most common shippers are UPS (United Parcel Service) and USPS (United States Postal Service).

UPS: UPS Ground is a mid-price service that allows for nearly unlimited box size and weight. Shipping includes $100 of liability insurance to cover loss or damage due to neglect by the carrier. More insurance can (and in most cases involving large trades, should) be purchased up to the actual cost of the items. Note: In order to claim this insurance take detailed pictures of your item(s) and how they were packed. They will try and not pay it out and without this they will have a solid case not to.

Ground shipping takes between 1 and 7 days in the continental US.

When I use this service: When someone requests it. I honestly find that it's almost always more expensive than other alternatives and often slower.

USPS: USPS is another mid-price services that offers three shipping services that traders here will often use:

Media Mail: This is a dirt cheap service that can only be used to ship books, sheet music and the like. It will normally run between 3-8 dollars, includes tracking but does not include any insurance.

First Class Mail: This is the economy class service. It can be used to ship parcels weighing up to 1 pound. Generally parcel dimensions will not matter, just it's weight. This option includes tracking but does not include any insurance. Insurance can be added for an additional cost.

Priority Class Mail: This is the mid-tier service. It is used to ship items up to 75 pounds and up to 18" on any side of the package. If the package is larger than this you have to choose Priority Mail Large Package. It can be pricey ranging from around $8 dollars for same basic service area to up to $25 or more for cross country shipping. Basic priority mail includes tracking and $50 dollars of liability insurance. Follow the suggestions for UPS insurance to ensure they honor it. This service will generally be 1-2 days faster than first class.

Express Class Mail: This is the top-tier service. Shipping is generally between 1-2 days anywhere in the US. Pricing begins at around $25. This is not a service I have personally used. Your mileage may vary.

All USPS packages can have delivery confirmation and adult signature added for an additional fee. Generally I forgo these options but if I get a bad feeling (well, to be honest if I get a bad feeling I generally cancel the trade) I will sometimes add this.

International (Canada) shipping:

I have very little experience trading with the great white north but on the few occasions that I have I used USPS international shipping. It will generally run between 25-50 dollars US and takes between 1 and 3 weeks to arrive.

I will finish this when I have time!
Last edited by Doctari on Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: A new Trader Omnibus

Post by 3eland »

Stickied!

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

GREAT start.
Some suggestions for inclusion:
1) A link to the rules
2) A reminder that "lowest rating ships first" is a common preference here but IS IN NO WAY a site rule and WILL NEVER BE a site rule. You'd be surprised how many people erroneously believe it's actually a site rule.

Thanks for doing this.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Shipping: *NOTE THIS IS FOR NORTH AMERICA ONLY, INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS BEYOND MY PERVUE DUE TO COSTS INVOLVED*

Shipping your miniatures in 202x presents it's own set of challenges.

The most common shippers are UPS (United Postal Service) and USPS (United States Postal Service).

UPS: UPS Ground is a mid-price service that allows for nearly unlimited box size and weight. Shipping includes $100 of liability insurance to cover loss or damage due to neglect by the carrier. More insurance can (and in most cases involving large trades, should) be purchased up to the actual cost of the items. Note: In order to claim this insurance take detailed pictures of your item(s) and how they were packed. They will try and not pay it out and without this they will have a solid case not to.

Ground shipping takes between 1 and 7 days in the continental US.

When I use this service: When someone requests it. I honestly find that it's almost always more expensive than other alternatives and often slower.

USPS: USPS is another mid-price services that offers three shipping services that traders here will often use:

Media Mail: This is a dirt cheap service that can only be used to ship books and magazines and the like. It will normally run between 3-8 dollars, includes tracking but does not include any insurance.

First Class Mail: This is the economy class service. It can be used to ship parcels weighing up to 1 pound. Generally parcel dimensions will not matter, just it's weight. This option includes tracking but does not include any insurance. Insurance can be added for an additional cost.

Priority Class Mail: This is the upper tier class service. It is used to ship items up to 75 pounds and up to 18" on any side of the package. If the package is larger than this you have to choose Priority Mail Large Package. It can be pricey ranging from around $8 dollars for same basic service area to up to $25 or more for cross country shipping. Basic priority mail includes tracking and $50 dollars of liability insurance. Follow the suggestions for UPS insurance to ensure they honor it.

All USPS packages can have delivery confirmation and adult signature added for an additional fee. Generally I forgo these options but if I get a bad feeling (well, to be honest if I get a bad feeling I generally cancel the trade) I will sometimes add this.

International (Canada) shipping:

I have very little experience trading with the great white north but on the few occasions that I have I used USPS international shipping. It will generally run between 25-50 dollars US and takes between 1 and 3 weeks to arrive.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

CORRECTIONS:

ups is united PARCEL service.

Your explanations of some classes of USPS are wrong.

Media Mail is for books, sheet music, and music only. Not magazines.

1ast class has a couple sub categories. Parcel select and letters.

Priority mails is for any mail and is supposed to be 1 to 2 days faster than 1st class. But for letters it's not.

The premium service is Express Mail. It's very expensive and is usually 1-2 days most anywhere in the US and upto a week 10 days internationally. It includes free tracking and insurance up to $100.

Shipping services like Pirate Ship offer discounts on all shipping options and usually has international available.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit it!

Offers good for 24hrs.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”