Do you insure all of your packages for trades/sales?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Do you insure all of your packages for trades/sales?

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 pm
Yes, but he can get at least $50 back.

Like I always said when I worked with customers, if it's not worth the couple bucks to insure it; it's not worth the time to complain if it gets lost or damaged.
So for the sake of saving $5 he lost how much?
I insure all of my Priority, obviously, because it is free. I insure 'big ticket' purchases over a certain amount, but I certainly don't insure all of my trades and sales.

What about everyone else?

(Sorry to call out your post, but I think it is an interesting point, kturock)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Do you insure all of your packages for trades/sales?

Post by akum »

I heard that insuring things rarely leads to anything but the certainty that you payed for it. Multiple people reported is nearly impossible to be refunded .
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I had a package go missing once. I insured it on my side in Canada, it got lost on your side, the States.

The amount of headache involved in filing papers for an international package was a nightmare. My side didn't want to help because it was "the other side's fault/job" and your side didn't want to do anything because "the sender has to file it.".

One week back and forth (the time difference was against us as well as, you know, normal jobs during the day).

Then it turned up. So thankfully we didn't have to do anything further. But wow, we weren't getting anywhere with them.

Reminds me of the time that my package went to the UK. I guess CANADA on the package was read as Britain (I mean they practically own us still, but come on). That one was a headache. I had to get the sender to call in, and they gave him the run around because it was "impossible it was sent to the UK". Sure enough tracking gets update a few days later and it's in the UK. Then a week later it updates with returned to international customs. Then another week and nothing, so we called again and no one has an update. The person states that it probably will return to the sender and they would have to ship it again (and file a claim to get their previous shipping expenses back). Couple days later it shows up at my door. Didn't even go back to the sender.

Let's just say that member no longer trades with Canadians (even though it was the fault of the USPS) :(.

Sorry, rambling on like a Canadian moose in heat; I always insure large packages for the value my trading partner and I agreed to. So for example, if they bought a large lot from me for 300, I insure it for 300, etc. I'd rather be protected and go through hell and back to have at least one side happy, than someone be out. Smaller packages, I let my trading partner decide, however all packages from here to the states comes with 100 dollars insurance if you pay for tracking (which i always do), so usually I don't "pay" for insurance, because it's already included in what I "paid" for tracking.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Tend to agree that insurance is of questionable value... I have never seen the USPS caught up the money.

The legal verbiage is vague enough to drive a Mac truck through and they have a lot of outs they can use.

Also, remember you must prove value and that is a bit tricker than you may think... it better be nib with a very clearly established msrp price... or you are tsol.

For what it is worth- free insurance maybe worth something - but (IMHO) it is only worth the USPS maybe being careful with the package... ie maybe not throw it or crush it... to avoid the (minor) headache of complaints.

My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Sean
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

As someone on 'the inside' I've seen people paid. I've paid people [when I worked in that capacity] and been paid; for lost and/or damaged items.

I always insure packages I ship.

If you drive a brand new car off the lot and get into an accident, do you have insurance?
If no, then you're out the money of the car.
If yes, but don't have enough coverage to pay for the loan, which is more than the value of the car [aka gap insurance], then you're out money for the difference.

The only people I've seen NOT get paid, are people who didn't pack the items right or didn't have their paperwork.

I've received lots of minis over the past 20 years, from Amazon, Ebay and here; that were poorly packed and luckily got through with little or no damage.
Damaged items are the responsibility of the SENDER.
If it's not packaged right, you're at fault.

Like I said, if it's not worth the couple bucks to insure it; then it's not worth your time to bitch about it.
You messed up, bet on nothing happening and something did. [like driving without insurance]

Anytime you ship to any country other than your own, expect things to be difficult at the best.
Items can be delayed. New rules or regulations or fees are in effect. Multitudes of reasons that have nothing to do with your package or what's in it.

I've bought and sold since approximately 1996 using Yahoo and then Ebay and Amazon. Of course, here as well.
Only problems I've had, with international deals, were they were in the UK and were charged a high customs fee, because they, the customs people, decided that package was getting chosen.
I've had 2 people tell me this. One fought it and paid a reduced fee. He's the one that explained to me the 'hit and miss' policy of customs, since he bought many things internationally.
The other went along with it and paid, then wanted me to pay the fee, even though he paid shipping.

The time of packages being handled by hand are long gone. Santa's out-of-work elves, carrying your package on a velvet pillow is no more.
All packages, regardless of the size, are DUMPED on to automated belts. If you've seen the recent escalator problem, where people are piling up on the bottom, that's the speed that packages are moved. And with almost as much finesse. On the 'big' machine, the packages go from 1 belt to another that's moving perpendicular and drops them into a cage.
On the small machine, that handles bigger and/or heavier packages, it gets shoved off the rollers, by a pusher rod, [picture a long hockey blade], with enough force to move 120 pounds.

I hang out at the LGS [local games store] and the local GW store. LGS uses, UPS and USPS. Both have stuff come in damaged. Almost always because it wasn't packed right.
GW exclusively uses FedEx. It's just as bad. Same reason. I saw a stack of White Dwarf magazines, on top of several minis boxes; all in a big box. All of the minis boxes were crushed. And those boxes are packed by GW employees.

Everybody uses the same equipment, because there are only a few manufacturers of sorting machines. If you've seen the videos of Amazon, they use the same but use plastic trays until the items are boxed.

Bottom line, pack it correctly to help make sure it doesn't get damaged. Yes, if the box ends up in the Hudson River, because the plane landed on it or it gets crushed because it got caught on the equipment, the shipper is at fault. But, if the outside of the box is in good shape, any damage is because it wasn't packed right. Outside boxes need to be able to withstand 70 psi. Reusing cheap, thin boxes doesn't work. And that's why your claim doesn't get paid. Cereal boxes are for cereal. Shoe boxes are for shoes. Neither one is for shipping.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I was going to say some of what kt said... but he covered it better, more extensively, and more thoroughly than I would have.
The best I can do here is to say that I wholly endorse what kt has said here.

Eric
(Note: If he decides to edit it at a later time into something smart-alecky, I maintain the right to change my response. LOL)
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 am
I was going to say some of what kt said... but he covered it better, more extensively, and more thoroughly than I would have.

Eric
(Note: If he decides to edit it at a later time into something smart-alecky, I maintain the right to change my response. LOL)
I had to edit it several times to remove any hint of being snarky.

I was afraid it still read that way.

People literally have no clue how any mail is handled, and that's the fault of usps. Yet for some reason, they want to keep it a secret.
From terrorists? Competitors? Who knows.
It's one of my bigger complaints .
How can learn that they are doing something wrong, if you don't inform them.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
WarrenRun ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by WarrenRun »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 am
I prefer Ibutamoren over anything else and was going to say some of what kt said... but he covered it better, more extensively, and more thoroughly than I would have.

Eric
I'd say they're keeping it a secret to avoid the public scrutiny. Imagine the outcry if we knew how our mail was really handled. Ignorance is bliss. haha
Last edited by WarrenRun on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

It used to be a 'trade secret'.
Now, they don't even show people how to address letters and packaes; let alone how to pack them.

The idea 'seems to be' people think everything gets scanned for drugs, and bombs and poisons and such. Let them think it and we won't have to do it.

Pipe bombs being found in 3-4 states, after delivery, kinda implies otherwise.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Here is 1 of the small belts, leading to the machine that sorts parcels and bundles.
It goes up the belt you see, and moves along other belts until it drops them down another belt. There they get handled by a person. But on abelt that puts them on the moving tray table. Which then drops them into another cage or hamper/gurney.

The yellow fence to the right, is 1 of the dumpers that dump mail out of the cages and hampers/gurneys. There are at least 2 of the dumpers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I call BS.
I see the big gap at the top. You probably just STAGED this picture to make it look worse than it is.

We all know that mail is handled by the magic mail faeries who lovingly caress packages to and from our doorsteps!

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

It's not even my building; it's too clean.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I noted that you didn't deny the existence of the magic mail faeries, however!
The legends regarding their loving caress of packages are told far and wide.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

You only see the Fae when you eat their magic mushroom houses.

Servius ( 58 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Servius »

I insure packages... But it good to make sure you have an accurate accounting of what was in the box (you should being as you are trading) Also, Its good to have a friend in the FLGS... They can provide you with a receipt showing relevant costs which you can give to the Postmaster in the case of damages or loss.. I have had 2 times in the past where Insurance saved me. Both time were trades which were lost in the bustle of holiday shipping. In both cases they requested I provide a detailed accounting of what was lost and its replacement cost. Games Workshop will be entirely unhelpful in these cases as they won't provide a quote of costs past a print out of an Online Cart. Generally the USPS will want it in the form of a sales receipt, even if the receipt is written in saying "Price Quote". In both cases I provided them a receipt with a clear void line at the bottom and a date after the date I shipped. I received appropriate compensation for both losses. Though it did take 3 months of back and forth to finally receive the insurance claim.

Some notes for Dealing with Insurance... (in the case of USPS)

- Speak with your local Postmaster directly, their email and online forms will simply make the process long and likely never achieve completeness (this is from the Postmaster's own mouth).
- Make sure you have an accurate list of what was in your package.
- Keep Copies of your Shipping Receipts, and the Shipping Label!! (Take a picture, or print out 2 copies of your shipping slip if you use the paypal shipping)
- Be ready to explain what Miniatures Wargaming is... You will be questioned why bunch of plastic army men costs so much.
- In case of trades lost... be prepared whenever you trade to make good on your trade... be it willingness to return their half of the trade or their money. Never place the burden of a loss on your trade partner. be accountable and responsible!
- Remember: The Shipping Party not the Recipient is responsible for claiming insurance. Anyone telling you otherwise is full of it.

Thats my 2 cents and experience.

- Lower ratings Ship first.
- Buyer Pays First always! (except with Zero Rating)
- Ship Promptly! 48 hours of receiving payment or Trade, unless otherwise agreed. If you are taking the time to make a deal, take the time to treat it with respect.
- Will ship to Canada if buyer/trader covers shipping in excess of US Shipping cost (I ship in Flat Rate USPS Boxes)
- Paypal Transactions: Gift preferred. If you wish to use Goods and Services, you the buyer will be expected to pay service fee.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”