Does anyone here convert Audible Audiobooks to mp3?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Does anyone here convert Audible Audiobooks to mp3?

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, I have an Audible account. I have a bunch of books I'd like to convert to mp3 and burn to disc to make it easier to listen to them in my car.

Does anyone here know of a RELIABLE software to do that?

Some specifics:

YES. I know about Torrent. I'm not looking to Torrent anything.
YES. I know there are ways to burn them through iTunes (that is not mp3, though).
YES. I know there are ways to listen to them in my car via the Audible app on my phone. Don't want to.
YES. I know there's a website that does it for free, but many of my books are 3, 4, 5 and even 10 times bigger than the free site will convert.
NO. I'm not looking to do anything illegal. I just want to burn MY legally downloaded audiobooks in the manner that I choose.

I prefer FREEWARE, but don't mind paying a reasonable fee (say, $25 or less) for the software, *IF* it's reliable and easy to use. The software MUST advertise that it's compatible with .aax files.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
hapotte ( 514 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Does anyone here convert Audible Audiobooks to mp3?

Post by hapotte »

This one seems simple enough, is free and works with your audible account. Never tried it though.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/aaxtomp3/
info about shipping: Lower ratting pays/ship first and I live in Canada.
thank you
athelu ( 608 )
Resident Trader

Post by athelu »

I have done this, and it is painful to say the least. There is no real way to break the DRM,so what these apps typically do is playback the audiobook and record it.it leaves you with typically a very large file that has numerous overlaps. I am too picky for that.
You can do something similar by using iTunes to burn discs of the book. It will create mp3 files (huge ones) that overlap slightly between discs. Once you have it in this format you can use some rather inexpensive software to split/trim/merge the files. I use the Direct WAV MP3 splitter and joiner tools. These are lightening fast as they do NOT re-encode the audio file to make changes. My process goes something like this:
Create cds in iTunes
Rip cds
Use wav splitter to remove audible intro.
Listen to end of first disc file
Use wav splitter on second file to trim overlap.
Listen to end of second disc
Use wav splitter to trim overlap of third disc
Repeat .......
Once editing is complete, repeat all steps for parts 2, 3 etc of the audible file.
Join all the files together.
Run wav splitter with pause detection set at 3 seconds, but require files of approx.180 seconds.
Splitter will take several minutes to complete, but you will now have a bookmarked mp3 audio book.
I then normally use bulkrename to make every 21 files a "CD", names like 01-01 thru 01-21 etc.
Then I use mp3tag to create all of the tags on the files.
This would leave you with a CD audio book version.
I then often join the files for each CD, then convert them to aac in iTunes. This is one file per disc.
I then rename the file extension from m4a to m4b which turns it into an audio book file that will remember where you left off.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

http://media.io/

Here's 1 I use. I just downloaded the free version and use it offline.

It's free and you can try the online version before you download the free version.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

hapotte wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm
This one seems simple enough, is free and works with your audible account. Never tried it though.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/aaxtomp3/
That was actually the first thing I tried.
No dice.

When I converted a book, it created an mp3 file that, when I clicked on it, opened iTunes and started playing my first playlist.
Never actually converted the file for me.

Thank you, though.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

athelu - Thank you. Creating them ripping CDs is something I'm not even going to bother with. I don't want to use all those CDs. LOL
I'd rather just plug earbuds into my phone or plug my phone into my car radio.
I've seen some that DO advertise that the break the DRM, but they all seem foreign, and the instructions seem... subpar.

kturock - Thanks. I'll look into it. I hadn't seen that one yet.

Thank you all for the input. Still glad to hear anything that anyone else has to offer!

Eric

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”