Has anyone used the "minis buying" service?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

connivingsumo ( 358 )
Resident Trader

Has anyone used the "minis buying" service?

Post by connivingsumo »

Since it seems like people aren't trading as much and are more into buying/selling, I'm wondering if anyone has tried the retail services (like Miniature Market) where they buy your stuff for 50% or less and offer credit towards what you want to buy; has anyone tried these?

I only know of MiniatureMarket, and Captain-A. Are there others?

MiniatureMarket's seems like a PITA because you have to find on their site what you have for trade and "add it to your cart" then 'checkout' and they give you a bid - send in your models - yadda yadda.

Captain-A I sent an email on 12/26/16 but haven't heard back from him yet.

I'm just wondering if there are other sites that will buy/credit you for your minis. Most of what I want to trade in is unpainted, unmodified, and - in many cases - NIB. I acknowledge anything painted or modified would bring a much smaller trade-in value like 10%-30%, etc.
"Don't be a douche, feedback helps everyone" ~ancientsociety-AKA-The Bartertown Curmudgeon
Good Refs owed to me (Did my part & left good refs): JohnDeSilva (MIA), Hussar1m, 2.0, UvulaBob.
Click 'User Control Panel', Click 'Profile', and fill out your location! :)
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Has anyone used the "minis buying" service?

Post by pretre »

CaptainA just moved, so he may have a bit of a backlog.

That being said, I do this on a smaller scale with folks. I.e. Buy minis cheap from folks and resell them. It's a good deal for people who have a lot of stuff they aren't going to use and need to get cash for it without having to go through all the work of selling it themselves.

Another option is consignment. I do this with folks locally. Basically, I get there stuff, catalog and send them a quote for how much they expect to get after sale. Then after they approve of the sale, I sell it all and pay them either as we go (in chunks) or when it all finishes. Pretty popular amongst some of the people around here with tons of stuff they overbought and busy lives.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I've used Noble Knight games. I got low balled and then they complained that the items 'smelled like they were stored in a wet basement." I told them that "I live in South Florida, which is the TROPICS. All books were stored in an air conditioned house, in a room, not a basement. BTW a basement in Florida is called an in home pool.' [the water table is only about 10-20 feet in most areas. You can hit water digging down only a few feet.]
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
connivingsumo ( 358 )
Resident Trader

Post by connivingsumo »

kturock wrote:I've used Noble Knight games. I got low balled and then they complained that the items 'smelled like they were stored in a wet basement." I told them that "I live in South Florida, which is the TROPICS. All books were stored in an air conditioned house, in a room, not a basement. BTW a basement in Florida is called an in home pool.' [the water table is only about 10-20 feet in most areas. You can hit water digging down only a few feet.]
Interesting - Noble Knight low balled you eh? Well, I guess I won't hold out much hope then. I sent them an email yesterday listing out the X-Wing stuffs just to see what they'd offer if I spent it at their store. We'll see I guess. Florida+Basement=Indoor pool! hahahaha :-D :lol: :mrgreen:
"Don't be a douche, feedback helps everyone" ~ancientsociety-AKA-The Bartertown Curmudgeon
Good Refs owed to me (Did my part & left good refs): JohnDeSilva (MIA), Hussar1m, 2.0, UvulaBob.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Yeah he said I should have said that they had water/moisture damage.
I sent the 3 boxes of books, they paid for shipping. Then they gave me the store credit.
Then they complained. Most all of the books were still in bags; magazine size comics bags.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
connivingsumo ( 358 )
Resident Trader

Post by connivingsumo »

kturock wrote: Then they complained. Most all of the books were still in bags; magazine size comics bags.
Hmm... not sure how they would've stunk of mildew if they were in bags; maybe they're confusing it with someone else's stuff. LOL
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Not mildew, but moisture.
Mildew is more or a 'damp' smell.. this is just that they were stored in an area with 70-90% humidity.

connivingsumo ( 358 )
Resident Trader

Post by connivingsumo »

kturock wrote:Not mildew, but moisture.
Mildew is more or a 'damp' smell.. this is just that they were stored in an area with 70-90% humidity.
Oh, the mildew thing I could kind of see, but they bitched about a 'moisture' smell? Come on! :evil:

I don't expect to hear from them, and if I do it probably won't be worth my time, but knowing what I'm getting into is a good thing.

Did you get their store credit, or cash?
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Credit. I spent it on the Babylon 5 ccg. It was a while ago.

connivingsumo ( 358 )
Resident Trader

Post by connivingsumo »

As I suspected, Knoble Knight offered me about 30-35% of their value for store credit. If I was asking for cash I could see the lower offer given business expenses, etc. but for in-store credit I was thinking 50% would be more like it.

Hell, if I'm going to let items go for 70% off retail value, I would much rather hand them off to another player instead of a business.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Well, to be fair, if they buy at 30-35%, they can still sell it at 50%. Buying at 50%, means they have to sell at 60-65% which is a lot harder to do with 'used' goods.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

But they offer at best 30 and sell at 100-120 for OOP.

connivingsumo ( 358 )
Resident Trader

Post by connivingsumo »

Exactly ~ I've looked at their prices and they're not selling open box stuff for 50% retail. If that was the case, then for sure 30/35% would be appropriate, but it's as kturock said. :-?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:But they offer at best 30 and sell at 100-120 for OOP.
Damn! Okay, I was assuming some sort of sanity.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I mean, I buy at 25% and sell at 55-60%. 100%+ is crazy.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”