Could be a recast?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

TankerJak ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Could be a recast?

Post by TankerJak »

Hello all,

Been on here for several years, mostly sticking to trade forums, lurking here and there. I have a question and dont know where to put it so I thought General Discussion might be the best place for it. I am thinking of dropping a few projects that have been on my shelf for a few years now. One of them is my 40k Orks. Problem is my main big piece, a Mega Dread....well I don't know if it was a recast I got stuck with or if it's just an older resin formula or what. Did Forgeworld ever put out resin that was a yellowish off-white? I traded for it several years ago, maybe 4-8 months after the Dreads came out...I think. I can get a photo of it later tonight after work, but thought I would start asking now as I make a spreadsheet of what I want to get traded out.

Thanks for any info all,
Jon

Prices listed are my asking price, if no price I generally ask for 65%-70% of retail, but willing to negotiate.
Shipping will be negotiable and never more than actual cost.
Paypal only.
Please PM so I can be alerted by email.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Could be a recast?

Post by MagickalMemories »

Is it assembled or unassembled?
If it isn't assembled, our resident *experts* might be able to give you a good idea as to whether it is or not.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
TankerJak ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TankerJak »

Its still unassembled.

Has been for a couple of year thus the 'out pile' ;)
Will try to get decent pics tonight.

Prices listed are my asking price, if no price I generally ask for 65%-70% of retail, but willing to negotiate.
Paypal only.
TankerJak ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TankerJak »

Ok....these arent the best photos...something has went wonky with wife's good camera, or the memory card in it or whatever...

http://imgur.com/a/Y0su2

http://imgur.com/13hFHnP

Sorry about links...having a devil of a time with adding them to the post

Paypal only.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Pretty sure it's a fake. The way those claw pieces attach to the resin "sprue" piece is not how I remember mine. Also, mine was gray resin (not that this matters too much. I think FW still swaps resin colors around).

Can you take a few more pics? Specifically, anything you have that's still attached to the resin "sprue" piece/chunk. That is often the quickest and easiest way to tell.

Also... Am I seeing one, single gray piece mixed in there?

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
TankerJak ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TankerJak »

Yes, one grey piece came with it.
Will try to get more pics tonight.

Paypal only.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

Almost definitely a recast. I never seen FW use anything other than grey resin.
WyvernEye ( 232 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by WyvernEye »

Many years ago a friend had an Ork warwagon thingy that was from FW if I rememeber correctly. It was that same color, beige more or less. If its older than that could be genuine. The on sprue part looks well done to me. My issue would be the odd grey part. Could be a missing part reordered later and came in the grey?? Grasping straws on that one perhaps...
TankerJak ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TankerJak »

Paypal only.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Yellow is recast, usually russia or china. FW casts in grey or slightly purple. The yellow stuff will also tend to be brittle, while FW's is slightly bendy.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

TankerJak wrote:Here is the stuff on 'sprues'

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Qu-bC ... sp=sharing
Yeah. I'd bet on recasts.
GW "sprues" or vents or whatever you want to call them... they tend to be sort of triangular when viewed from the side. Yours are more of a rectangle.

So, here's the deal... you can't trade it here. It's against the rules.

Really, you can't sell it anywhere and not violate the rules (eBay, DakkaDakka, etc. all have rules against recasts).

If you're intent on getting rid of it, your best bet is to try to find a local buyer for it. Maybe someone you play against at your local game store. Just be honest with them that it's probably a recast and that you didn't know it when you got it. Give them a decent price, and they probably won't care.

Eric

TankerJak ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TankerJak »

Thanks for the help. I wouldnt dream of pushing this off on someone else. Maybe I will just stick it in the back of my game closet and if I ever get back around to Orks maybe it will still be useful.

Paypal only.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Don't get me wrong... not everyone would see it as you "pushing it off" on them. Many people are glad to have recast models, provided they know up front that it's a recast.
That said... it is by far a higher moral ground to NOT get rid of it.

Eric

Bael ( 196 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Bael »

This looks like a recast, but FW resin back in the day used to be beige in color (around 2004). My Red Scorpions and Lizardmen Temple guard statue were bought direct from FW and were beige resin. Anything newer should be light grey. A sure way to tell if it is recast is if it has a heavily toxic smell when you drill into it.
Prefer to trade within the US
Lower rating ships first for trades.
I can ship small Priority Mail packages during the week. Large parcels and 1st Class mail I can only ship Saturdays.
I check messages on my phone during the day but can usually only reply in the evenings.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

MagickalMemories wrote:Don't get me wrong... not everyone would see it as you "pushing it off" on them. Many people are glad to have recast models, provided they know up front that it's a recast.
That said... it is by far a higher moral ground to NOT get rid of it.

Eric

And just so we are clear, from a legal perspective (I do not practice in Federal court, nor am I an intellectual property attorney, and I'm probably not in your state or district - therefore, please note, the following is not actual legal advice and in no way forms or constitutes an attorney client relationship between myself and anyone reading this - it is merely information and should not be relied upon as legal advice - each person's situation is different, and if you find yourself being prosecuted, facing civil penalties, or are considering your options in a pre-litigation or pre-indictment situation, please seek advice from an attorney who practices in your city and/or state, and federal district. In addition, this is not an advertisement.):

In the United States (and probably Canada, but I don't really know for sure what's happening up there, eh) selling or even TRADING a recast is either a misdemeanor or a felony. Usually a felony, and carries up to 10 years in prison and, if I'm remembering correctly, up to $10,000,000 in fines. The language of the statute is "exchanging for anything of value." In addition, there are no civil remedies if you trade or sell a recast and the person on the other end rips you off - all contracts for illegal goods or services are unenforceable (which is why you couldn't, for instance, sue the estate of Pablo Escobar for the 18 kilos of cocaine you were promised in the '80s but never received (though the statute of limitations would also bar this, and possible jurisdiction issues, but I've been watching Narcos again so I was enamored of this hypo)). Now, the FBI is probably not going to bother prosecuting someone for less than a few hundred dollars in resold recasts, but I've seen weirder stuff happen! I've seen cops try to get someone to do six months of probation for having a single joint on them, first time offense, and I've seen the US Attorney's prosecuting people for staying too long at a campground because the Ranger was really upset about it. So... better safe than sorry.

In addition, knowingly BUYING a recast is illegal. I forget the penalty, but... the FBI has made clear they will not be prosecuting those who break this law (knowingly buying knockoffs or other copyright/trademarked goods - which covers things like knockoff watches and designer bags and if I remember correctly illegally copied videos and music as well - though that might be a similar but different law). It just isn't worth it for them to prosecute the literally hundreds of millions of people guilty of this crime in the country (every time you watch a recording on your DVR and then don't immediately delete it afterwards you've broken this law or one substantially like it - not kidding) and if they don't go after some of the small fish and not just the biggest ones (who have say, a million bucks worth of counterfeit stuff in their house) they open themselves to claims of selective prosecution as well as make themselves super unpopular with, like, tons of people. Also, where are you going to find a jury who won't nullify this - or fail to believe a claim that the buyer didn't know he was buying a counterfeit. That said, still probably safer not to knowingly buy a recast as they could theoretically change their minds at any second.

Example: I once bought a dreadnought off ebay, was a little worried I might be getting a recast because the pics were a little blurry and the cost was super good. On the other hand, there were literally hundreds of reasons that it could have had blurry pics and a low price (bad camera, bad light and someone who needed money badly and had to get out of the hobby, for instance - or maybe someone who got this as a gift and doesn't play, so doesn't know how to price it well). You occasionally see stuff like this on eBay that's low price and legit (I thought it was part of a starter and the seller just wanted to keep the orks or whatever, and get rid of the marines). So... then... when I got it I saw the mold slips and smelled the toxic smell when I took a file to it and realized it definitely was a recast. Now... not only would the FBI almost certainly not prosecute me (though I wouldn't be surprised if they leaned on me a little to figure out who sold it to me to go after them), but even if I was prosecuted I could easily beat the charge. But.... once I saw it up close and worked on it and the answer was clear - yup, I'd bought a recast - if I ever sell or trade that thing I'm committing a crime. Again, probably wouldn't be prosecuted, but it's more likely than for buying, so I'd rather just paint it up and use it.

tl'dr: To be legally safe, as well as morally correct (if you think it's immoral to sell recasts - that's a personal choice with good arguments on both sides and largely situational, IMO, but that's a different discussion altogether) then you should never knowingly sell or trade a recast, and probably shouldn't knowingly buy them either.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”