Dresden Files RPG

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Dresden Files RPG

Post by kturock »

Has anybody tried it?

I have both books, and have partially read through the 1st book. I'm reading character creation now.

It seems a good game, but maybe bit complicated during creation; both character and world created, by the GM & players at the same time.

It's definately looking like a story telling gmae, and not a typical tactical rpg. and not anything my usual/old gaming group would play.They're not that creative most times. [I've never played any of the WOD, but did read most of Deamon and Mummy rpg rule books].

Comments?
Thoughts?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Dresden Files RPG

Post by Imaginos »

I was one of the folks that preordered the game anticipating more Dresden awesome sauce. I liked the way the books were written (style and presentation). I learned I do not like the FATE system. I cannot put my finger on anything specific, but I don't like it. My group tried Legends of Anglerre as well - same system - I just got rid of my copy last week. Got rid of my Dresden RPG books last year because of it.

But there are a lot of people who love it, so I know it works. There are quite a few threads about it at rpgnet, if you take a look there.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

the game looks to 'story-telling' for most 'mini, tactical' based gamers.

if it's something your chather would haveor do, but the player forgets to put it on his sheet, then it's there.
ie.
'My character, is a gunfighter. Always carries several guns, with back-ups and ammo for all. I forgot to write I have a gun in an ankle holster. The character would have it, because it's in his character."
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

That's easy enough just using the BITs from Burning Wheel. Beliefs, Instincts, and Traits.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Imaginos wrote:That's easy enough just using the BITs from Burning Wheel. Beliefs, Instincts, and Traits.

umm huh?

Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

There is another RPG called Burning Wheel. One of the core principles of that game are BITs. Beliefs, Instincts, and Traits. IIRC, you have about 2-3 of each of these for a character.

Beliefs - things the character believes / has an impact for the character - this gives the GM some idea in what the player wants out of the game. For example, "Believes he will be the leader of the thieves guild" tells the GM that your character aspires to rise in the thieves guild.

Instincts - behaviors your character would automatically do. For example, "Always has an arrow knocked when on lookout" would mean that your character would not get caught without an arrow knocked anytime he is on lookout. A wizard I was playing had "Always unleashes SPELL X when startled". So when he was startled, he would automatically cast the spell (in my case, it was a fear spell) - this happened before anything else went down.

Traits - mannerisms of the character.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

That sounds like something for a group that role plays well and stays in character, more than my tactical, OOC players.

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”