Barbarians of Lemuria - rules light S&S

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Barbarians of Lemuria - rules light S&S

Post by Imaginos »

I discovered this little gem last year and it has become my favorite rules-lite go-to sword & sorcery game. Barbarians of Lemuria is available in print and pdf. After playing D&D4E for about 6 months, my group got tired of the extra crunch and longer combats, so we went to a more rules light venue. I had already picked this one up and was reading it, so we decided to give it a go. Overall, my group loved it. If you want to play a character that starts as a farm boy and works his way up to being a bad ass, don't get this game. This game is all about being a bad ass and starts you off there.

The system is a simple 2d6 (+/- modifiers) vs target 9. Modifiers could be your profession rating, your specific skill, other things that the GM applies, or even Boons/Flaws (advantages and disadvantages). One thing I like about the Boons/Flaws is that you automatically get 1 boon. You can take a second one if you either take a flaw or spend 2 hero points (more in a minute). You can take a third boon if you spend 2 hero points (so you could spend 4 and get 2 boons). Some boons will give you an extra die to roll, but dropping the lowest. Some flaws will give you an extra die to roll, but dropping the highest.

Hero points allow you to do some crazy things. 1 point can turn a failure into a success, a success into a critical success, or a critical success into a legendary success. Your character starts with 5, unless you spend points to buy boons, in which case whatever you spend permanently reduces your max hero points. Hero points spent during an aventure replenish at the start of each adventure.

As an extra incentive, there are a few optional systems/settings available. The one included in the book linked above is Lemuria. If you ever read Lin Carter's Thongor of Lemuria series, that's what this is. Not even serial numbers filed off.

But, there are other settings and books available. My second favorite is Barbarians of the Aftermath; a post apocalyptic rules set for the game.

While it is very light on setting, it is a massive resourse for building a post apocalyptic game. Also available in print and pdf. The game helps guide you through setting up the setting for your apocalypse, ranging from supernatural, to natural disaster, to man-made. If you want to run Thundarr the Barbarian, this is the game to do it with. That's my plan, after I get my Thundarr DVD set for Christmas.

So let's say you want a bit less Thongor and a bit more traditional fantasy. Well then, there is the Legends of Steel Barbarians of Lemuria edition for you.

Also available in print and pdf.

And last, but not least, you say you'd rather play espionage or the A-Team or GI Joe versus Cobra? Well then, take a look at Dogs of War.

This one is available only in pdf format at this time (at the link above).

Since the new forums opened up, I figured I'd register myself as the BoL pimp. :D

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”