Best (and cheap) 28mm ww2 figures

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

friar.tuck ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Best (and cheap) 28mm ww2 figures

Post by friar.tuck »

Greetings,
I already am entrenched in Flames of War... But the small unit play of Bolt Action is appealing for an occasional alternative... Any suggestions out there for 28mm models (infantry, vehicles, etc...) that won't break the bank? We would want to purchase allies and axis so the kids and I could play... Also, is Bolt Action the right system of are there better ones anyone would recommend?
Respectfully,

Friar.Tuck

---------------
Want:
FOW: U.S.: U.S. dice tin
6mm: Baccus Imperial Romans & their enemy, other 6mm

Have to trade:
FOW: German: 3 Tigers
FOW: British (both NIB): Para Roy. Engin (BR806), 4.5" Howitzer Battery
FOW: American (NIB): Rifle Company (UBX03)
Heroes of Normandie (NIB: still shrink wrapped)
fitterpete ( 202 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Best (and cheap) 28mm ww2 figures

Post by fitterpete »

Hey
Black Tree Design make some nice infantry figures,not the absolute best but some lines a very nice.Stay away from the vehicles though, they are pewter and do not assemble easily.They often(sometimes monthly) do 30-50% off sales.The best lines are Germans,Soviets and Brit regular infantry.The Americans are ok and they have small lines of French and Poles.Make sure you order from the US store.some have had problems with the UK division in the past but I havn't heard,or experienced, anything bad about the US side.

Personally I think Artizan Designs are the best but they ain't cheap.

Warlord/Bolt Action well..some people love them and others can't stand them.I have issues with the casting and quality control myself plus they are not really that cheap.I don't have any of their plastics so can't comment but they are good priced and readily available from US retail stores
Crusader make some nice figs , the prices are somewhere between BTD and AD.
In addition there are some nice small companies selling limited ranges

For vehicles there really aren't any cheap options.Wether you go resin or plastic they are all going to be in the $25-$40 range.Although Bartertown can be your friend(:
Vehicles
Warlord has the biggest range,good quality and they do some plastics.
Company B are good.
Army Group North too.
Blltzkreig Miniatures do some nice and easy to assemble tanks with a good variety.
Diewaffenkamer(SP)/JTFM Enterprises make very good but pricey vehicles.
For rules your on your own.We play a modified version of Warhammer Great War.
Pete
Never send me anything UPS or that I have to sign for I can't afford to take off work to receive it.Always send with Delivery Conformation,I will do the same.
If you are not in the United States tell me NOW,please.
Make a offer? It's your stuff you should know what you want for it.Seriously you want me to price your stuff for you?

edited my sig per Btown rules.Is this better Miss?

See D!ck
See D!ck run
See D!ck trade on Bartertown
See D!ck not leave a reference
Don't be a D!ck
Bon_Vivant ( 4 )
New Trader

Post by Bon_Vivant »

Just play with 15's.
Why re-buy everything? If you want to be crazy 1/2 the ranges and all measures. But personally, I wouldn't.

Have fun with your toy soldiers.
friar.tuck ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Post by friar.tuck »

Thanks for the responses... I have to admit that the idea of playing with what we already have had eluded us. Very interesting idea. I think we'll try to trade for a Bolt Action rulebook to see how it would work.
Respectfully,

Friar.Tuck

---------------
Want:
FOW: U.S.: U.S. dice tin
6mm: Baccus Imperial Romans & their enemy, other 6mm

Have to trade:
FOW: German: 3 Tigers
FOW: British (both NIB): Para Roy. Engin (BR806), 4.5" Howitzer Battery
FOW: American (NIB): Rifle Company (UBX03)
Heroes of Normandie (NIB: still shrink wrapped)
eypyeash ( 92 )
BTown Regular

Post by eypyeash »

Very late to the party, but Chain of Command is the one you should be looking at for rules.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

Edit: I just realized how old this original post was, and I apologize...

Chain of Command Rules are overly complicated for a family to include kid game night. Bolt Action is where it is at. The rules are overly simplified for quick and fun games, and the random activation method that makes WG famous is exceptionally awesome. WG is the only producer I have found that fills a 4x6 table with full Armies at 28mm for $100 and the reason you shouldn't want to use your existing 15mm is because you might want to venture down to the local shop, or invite a friend to play Bolt Action, and you with your 15mm and him with his 28mm would be silly. Bolt Action is a Community driven and community played game in my experience, even tournaments are more of a learn to play and master the game event than a competition. There are a few hard core rivet counters, but they usually stay in their basements and just troll the internet, questioning your painting skills, and accuracy but never showing theirs...Same in every game. But Fun, Fun and consistent rules and simplicity of the rules is why WG systems are spreading like fire lately. Remember they have not been around a fraction of the time any other major systems have been, and they are starting to dominate. You will not be let down...

Return to “Armchair Generals”