Advice to begin FOW

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

KingArthur ( 226 )
Resident Trader

Advice to begin FOW

Post by KingArthur »

Hello BT FOW players, my first time posting in this forum so please forgive any mistakes.

I am looking to start playing FOW and I will need to obtain two armies to do this. Looking through the website I really cannot understand where to start (except the starter, which I have read is very poor). So, how do I got about doing this. I want to build a Russian and a German army. Enlighten me?

thanks, art
No one saw that.
KingArthur ( 226 )
Resident Trader

Re: Advice to begin FOW

Post by KingArthur »

Surprising I got nothing on this lol!
No one saw that.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

I don't know that there IS really a "starter set" in the way you can get from GW or Battletech or whatever.

I mean you could just get the rulebook and two boxes of tanks (US versus Germans) and play with that - the "starter" that they offered a few years ago was basically this - but it's not the most satisfying of intros.

I suspect with 3rd edition launching next month (and soft-launching right now) there WILL be a new intro product. I think right now they are basically trying to get the current playerbase not to panic about the new rules.

I assume you have read all of this? http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=106

My preferred source for Flames of War anything - and admittedly, I am only a dabbler - is http://www.wwpd.net/, both the site and the podcast. These guys really make me excited about the game. They are good ambassadors.

--Robert
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I would recommend getting first

Germany
GBX18 SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie first
Then add a a box of tanks
GBX19 Panther A Platoon
or
GBX25 StuG G Platoon
StuGs are one of the best all round tanks but are limited to russian heavy armor

Then add some extras - transports - Artillery - guns - more tanks
I recommend
GBX11 8.8cm FlaK36 Battery

Russians
SBX13 Engineer-Sapper Battalion
then
IS-85 Heavy Tank (MM17)
then
SBX07 Katayusha Rocket Battery
or another
SBX13 Engineer-Sapper Battalion
KingArthur ( 226 )
Resident Trader

Post by KingArthur »

Wooo information...

I got the new rulebook, since I could get it free from the Warstore by purchasing just a Platoon (British 8th army, I know, not Russians) and now I've got that thick book. I heard about the Forces book which sounds very nice. So I think I'll just some DAK to fight my Riflemen till I know more.

thanks for the links and advice!
No one saw that.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

It's tricky to suggest that you buy XYZ because Flames of War is really very situational on:

WAR PERIODS - either Early, Mid, or Late War, and

THEATRES OF WAR.

I think you're going to be very unhappy if you start collecting Early War French and discover that there is a nearby group of Flames of Wars playing who have dedicated themselves to all Late War Eastern Front theaters. Yes, you CAN play it, but it's not going to be balanced or satisfying.

--Robert
friar.tuck ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Post by friar.tuck »

Just wanted to add that Flames of War isn't like some other mini-wargames... there is no "perfect" set of models to win every battle... the rules and gameplay are balanced in that the game relies more on the gamer's strategy (e.g., tactics, use of cover and terrain, covering fire, etc...) than it does a specific set of models. So, the best suggestion I would offer is to go to your local game store and hang out for a couple hours seeing what other people are playing with... then, ask someone if they would mind playing a short 1000 point game with you (and if they'll let you borrow their models)... playing FOW is the best way to figure out what you want to build as an army... likewise, because the nationalities play differently, you'll see this better if you get in there and start rolling some dice... good luck and welcome to the FOW community!
Respectfully,

Friar.Tuck

---------------
Want:
FOW: U.S.: U.S. dice tin
6mm: Baccus Imperial Romans & their enemy, other 6mm

Have to trade:
FOW: German: 3 Tigers
FOW: British (both NIB): Para Roy. Engin (BR806), 4.5" Howitzer Battery
FOW: American (NIB): Rifle Company (UBX03)
Heroes of Normandie (NIB: still shrink wrapped)
Darkhorse ( 2 )
New Trader

Post by Darkhorse »

FoW does have a starter set that is based around LW but with the exception of two tanks can be used for MW as well. It's a great kit all in plastic and can really help people get into the game as it has two armies in it.

As people have said this like other games has a lot of different forces and is broken up into 3 eras so you really kind of have to do a little research and figure out what you want to play to best get into it.

Return to “Armchair Generals”