any turn based stategy games out?

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

any turn based stategy games out?

Post by kturock »

back in the day, there were turn based games, now everything is real time.
I don't have the hand/eye reflex, or 'twitch' response I used to have.

So are there any tbs games out for computers? I have some old ones, but they don't play on my Windows Vista system.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Shane ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Re: any turn based stategy games out?

Post by Shane »

I use a program called Dosbox. This allows me to play older dos based games like Ultima or Zork
Always looking for well sculpted Female miniatures.
Arma ( 26 )
BTown Regular

Post by Arma »

There are a bunch of PSP games I can recommend... Jean D'Arc is one of my fave turn based strategy games, Metal Gear Acid.

GBA/DS Advanced Wars series is amazing, Fire Emblem is amazing, and many many more :D
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Kt, it's not quite what you're looking for, but have you played any of the Total War games? The battles themselves are RTS, but you can pause them every few seconds if you want (as well as increase speed when you're marching across the field), or auto-resolve them if you don't want to be bothered. The campaign mode itself is turn based, though. In all of the various versions I've played (Medieval, Rome, Medieval II and Empire), you have your various settlements and army banners on a beautiful (at least with Rome or later) map of Europe. You build various things in your settlements, like a better barracks to train better troops, a smithy to equip them with keener swords and heavier armor, buildings that help the infrastructure and economy, and buildings to keep your citizens happy, like temples/churches and taverns. You also maneuver your armies around the map, avoid/attack other armies and lay sieges to take towns. You can engage your neighbors in diplomatic relations, forge alliances and even force your enemy to give you money or territory if you're intimidating enough. You can train spies and assassins, and use them to undermine a neighboring country's authority before you attack, making conquest all the easier. Actually, a nasty trick in Rome and Medieval is to use your spies and assassins to cause a neighbor's city to rebel, so you can sweep in and conquer it without declaring war. If you're a real bastard, you can even do that to allies.

And I do have to say that, even though the battles aren't turn-based, it's nowhere near as stressful or nervewracking as most RTS games like Starcraft or Warcraft. Since you are only fighting individual battles at a time, you don't have that constant nervousness of "Am I building infantry fast enough? Are they going to attack now? How about now? How about now?" that leaves you on edge. Sure, you might worry about whether or not your enemy is hiding in the woods somewhere, ready to ambush, but it's not that sweat-inducing tension. You can also, as I mentioned, pause at any time. So if you want a moment to react to a recent development, or have to hit the head, no worries, just hit Spacebar. And Rome: Total War Gold (which is Rome TW, Barbarian Invasions and Alexander the Great) was and hopefully is still available on Steam. Medieval II you could likely track down, and Empire is also available on Steam. Actually, Empire might be what you're looking for, considering that you've been posting lately about napoleonics. It's set in 1700, and you take control of one of the major powers of Europe or India. It's actually the first Total War game that allows you to actually fight your naval battles (in the earlier versions they're automatically decided). And the Empire diplomacy system is far more developed than the previous games, and will actually show you exactly how strong your relations are with another country and why.

Or you could get DOSBox and see if you can track down Panzer General or Allied General which were, IMO, the greatest turn-based strategy games ever made by anyone. . .and they're bordering on twenty years old.
jbenton ( 60 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jbenton »

Battle for Wesnoth springs to mind, but other than it being turn based and free I don't know much about it. There's Darkwind: War on Wheels, which is a turn based, MMO, carwarsy type game. The latest version of Blood Bowl has the option to be played in turn based style.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

thanks for the suggestions.

RTS, even with pause is still RTS to me.

also, the entire micro management of having to harvest, grow, mine et c. is not my idea of gaming.

I had steel panthers. I have the entire myth saga, but it won't play on my comp. I've had or have some of the old GW based games, including DoW, but prefer turn based.

I saw blood bowl and didn't like it.
I played blood bowl 1st & 2nd ed.

I had a WW2 german themed game that gave benefits for victory.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

I want to say I got Steel Panthers to work on DOSbox.
lord_chaos45 ( 160 )
BTown Regular

Post by lord_chaos45 »

Steel Panthers version like 8 or so is available as a free download from Matrix games.

They have kept it up to date to use on modern operating systems. They also made some grand campaigns that you can buy for use with it. However the base game is free.

Spent alot of time playing it, at one point.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

dunno how I missed it in you post, but panzer general was WW@ game I was thinking of.

now to find dosbox.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

i saw dosbox and decided I didn't want to do that much work.

then I remembered a website I saw on facebook. The site is called battlefront.com.

the games are turn based, but the resolvoution is in real time. I think TAC, from way back when [comodore 64] was that way.

off to check them out.

Panzer Smith ( 42 )
BTown Regular

Post by Panzer Smith »

google Panzer General 2 Warzone, it is free to download, works on vista and above and is awesome in both playability and historical coverage. You move units on a top down view, like steel panthers, but combat is fought on a ratio of how much damage you'll take (ie 3:7). Good combined arms approach to the game and it spans the entire war, both fronts plus a few 'what if' scenarios too.

Best turn based WW2 game I've played. Not as micro-real as steel panthers but that (IMO) makes it more fun.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Panzer Gernal I had for my old computer..dos or early windows.

Steampunk ( 38 )
BTown Regular

Post by Steampunk »

Panzer general:allied assault is EXCELLENT on Xbox Live- but I'm not sure if it's available on PC..
pieman1 ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by pieman1 »

try matrix games they specialize in turn based pc games for just about any era the games are pretty good.

Return to “Armchair Generals”