15mm WW2 models inquiry

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

15mm WW2 models inquiry

Post by aurak_merc »

Hello all,

I have just started into 15mm historical wargaming (WW2 era) and am wondering which brands of miniatures you may be able to recommend for my purposes. I am very, very new to the 15mm scale. I would like to steer clear of Flames of War models due to price, but if they are overwhelmingly the best I may be willing to go with them.

I would be primarily looking for American and German models. Tanks, support vehicles, and maybe aircraft as well as infantry that could be based individually on small washers or somesuch.

I am sure I am forgetting something, so if I recall it I will edit as needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.
lord_chaos45 ( 160 )
BTown Regular

Re: 15mm WW2 models inquiry

Post by lord_chaos45 »

Old Glory- command decision from Warweb.com- standard 40% off is prolly the best deal on WW2 minis.

Overall they arent bad, but do take more work in trimming excess and assembly to make look good. They are prolly about the cheapest way to go tho.

Personally I own a mixture of 15mm WW2 minis. Mostly I have Flames of War brand, as I like their more robust older infantry sculpts and have managed to buy most at some very steep discounts.

You can find ppl selling armies on Ebay that go very cheap at times, or even here on Btown.

Forged in Battle looks nice but I dont own any.

The new plastic soldier company 15mm plastics again look nice but I dont own any.

Peter Pig models are alright but some mix and some dont with battlefront FoW minis

Command decision is true 15mm so abit smaller than Battlefront FoW, vehicles are mainly what I buy from them because at 3 for 15 they about the cheapest, again tho they are abit lower quality imo...alot more work to get ready to paint. Command decisions infantry will not mix well with battlefront as they are much smaller.

hope that helps
aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

Post by aurak_merc »

Thanks for the info lord_chaos45. I had never heard of Old Glory before, so I will be sure to check them out. I have looked on ebay a bit, and saw the Forged in Battle brand that looked pretty nice, but it is hard for me to tell since I did not find any assembled and painted pictures on there. I have never worked with anything smaller than 25mm, and mostly have done 28-30mm (Warmachine and 40k) so this new scale is kind of awkward, yet exciting for me.

Thanks again.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.
quickdrawgc ( 72 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by quickdrawgc »

Also look into Quality Castings (oldglory15's owns them now). If you are looking to get a group into the 15mm hobby and can put together a large order you can get a huge discount on minis that are higher quality than the standard command decision minis by old glory. (up to 300$ you get 30% off, 401+ you get 40% off so you are talking $6/tank which is pretty competitive with command decision and higher quality).
Panzer Smith ( 42 )
BTown Regular

Post by Panzer Smith »

Plastic Solider Company's models are your best deal for your money hands down. I have 5 Panzer IV's and the detail is just as crisp or better than battlefront minis. There isn't alot of customization right out of the box but 30-ish bucks for 5 panzers is just awesome. The infantry sets are also really economical too. Take the russian box set. You get 120 models (20 bases plus 4 command base) for about 30-ish bucks too. Around here (SW Ontario) a single platoon of BF minis runs around 20 bucks so the savings are apparent if you are looking for quantity.

PSC has (off the top of my head) panzer IV, T-34, Sherman's, SKD halftracks (german) box sets for armor right now with plans on running StuGs before X-mas. If you want a big force on the cheap go to PSC.

Skytrex are good models for the cost ($6 ea roughly) as are old glory/command decision. Best bet is ebay or Btown in honesty. You can get some really good deals if you are patient

Return to “Armchair Generals”