American Civil War

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

American Civil War

Post by chrisswim »

What rules and scale do you prefer for the American Civil War?
chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: American Civil War

Post by chrisswim »

I play mostly 15mm ACW, using Johnny Reb II rules, it was referred to as Johnny Reb. The author came out with another gaming rule system, the result is that four stands are in the basic manoeuver unit vs. the rule set we used for many years which has 5 stands (regiment) to the manoeuver unit. In the regiments, we tend to have all five stands painted in similar fashion, which easy to identify one unit from another. The author John Hill indicated that you could use the extra stand else where and us the flag bearer stand to the left of each unit, which is true. We however, like the visual presentation of the regiment units looking similar, it is visually appealing to us. After all, that is one big reason with play with minature vs. board games, the aesthetics, the three dimensional presentation.
Hussar ( 606 )
Resident Trader

Post by Hussar »

I like Fire and Fury but there are of good rule sets out there
Rules
1. I will trade retail for retail
2. If you have a lower rating and we have never Traded I ask that you pay/ship first
3. I always leave feedback I ask that you do the same on completion of our trade/sale
4. I am in the US (NJ) I always ship USPS priority delivery confirmation (protects us both) will ship int'l Prioity if you are paying

Those that still owe me ref(s)

SnowMongoose, grulgrash

Remember in the Gene pool of Life Lifeguards needed.....
sonofpanther ( 18 )
BTown Regular

Post by sonofpanther »

Fire and Fury works for me with a 15mm army.
I have also located a conversion set of rules for taking Fire and Fury from a brigade min level game to a regt min level game. simple enough as you just turn a brigade unit in to a regt and the ranges and weapons are altered to effect the now regt not brigade level of fire in the volleys
Hussar ( 606 )
Resident Trader

Post by Hussar »

Isn't there a reginmental F&F now? I think that woul.s be very easy to do without a lot of fuss
Rules
1. I will trade retail for retail
2. If you have a lower rating and we have never Traded I ask that you pay/ship first
3. I always leave feedback I ask that you do the same on completion of our trade/sale
4. I am in the US (NJ) I always ship USPS priority delivery confirmation (protects us both) will ship int'l Prioity if you are paying

Those that still owe me ref(s)

SnowMongoose, grulgrash

Remember in the Gene pool of Life Lifeguards needed.....
sonofpanther ( 18 )
BTown Regular

Post by sonofpanther »

Yes there is I found it after typing in fire and fury regt rules on google.

Heres the website

http://www.fireandfury.co.uk/regimental_rules.htm
captain_hook ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by captain_hook »

I've become a fan of Terrible Sharp Sword by http://toofatlardies.co.uk It is a adaptation of their Sharp Sword skirmish rules for the ACW. Primarily designed for 28mm scale, but can be used with 15mm as well.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

captain_hook wrote:I've become a fan of Terrible Sharp Sword by http://toofatlardies.co.uk It is a adaptation of their Sharp Sword skirmish rules for the ACW. Primarily designed for 28mm scale, but can be used with 15mm as well.
I bought the rules a couple monthes ago.
I don't have any ACW. where's a good place to get some for TSS, especially any that fit the Sharpe look?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
captain_hook ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by captain_hook »

I haven't started my ACW collection yet for TSS (I'm still working on my Napoleonics). I wish I had started with ACW. Painting Napoleonics is a bit tedious.

Perry Miniatures have a pretty good line of relatively inexpensive 28 mm plastics: http://www.thewarstore.com/PerryBros28m ... ilWar.html
Old Glory has a Second edition 28mm figure which is pretty reasonable, and I've heard there much better than the Old Glory original line: http://www.warweb.com/25mm-old-glory-se ... _2242.html
Peter B ( 8 )
BTown Regular

Post by Peter B »

Well I have been using Sash and Saber ACW in 40mm. The reason for this is that I prefer smaller fast action skirmish games. Where I live (southampton county va) there was many small actions going on that involved a few hunderd to a couple of thousand men.

Peter Griffith

Return to “Armchair Generals”