World War II Wargaming

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

World War II Wargaming

Post by chrisswim »

What gaming scale do you like most, what theater do you prefer? Do you type of battles do you like: naval, air, land or a combination? What are the advantages to what you like, in other words, why do you like what you do, what does it have to offer another gamer?
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Re: World War II Wargaming

Post by imp522 »

Currently Early war ground in 15mm but given the opportunity I'd play any theater in any scale.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
Agent-X ( 24 )
Trade Novice

Post by Agent-X »

I play 15mm late war primarily. Seems to be a sweet spot for popularity (FoW is my guess)

I also play occasionally a 20mm skirmish rule set called Battlegrounds (http://theminiaturespage.com/rules/ww2/bgww2.html) and we play that from early war to late war in the European theater. Very detailed rule set for those who like the extra stuff, but I don't find it too cumbersome.
Lower feedback pays/ships first!
chaosrob ( 164 )
Expert Trader

Post by chaosrob »

i play late war and starting early war FOW
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I play mid to late war. 15mm FOW is king in my area.
chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by chrisswim »

It seems that mid to late war is the most popular era of WW2. Is that because the US got involved? Is that the weapon systems developed and larger variety?
prymus ( 26 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by prymus »

I play early war to mid. This leaves out some of the great tanks and weapons, but the early stuff is neat in its own way.
unimog ( 4 )
BTown Regular

Post by unimog »

We play FoW Mid and Late Wars. I hope we will also play EW in the near future.
prymus ( 26 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by prymus »

I play early to mid(up to Kursk). Still lets me get in most of the really good German armor, even though at this time it was pretty unreliable.
mightyatom13 ( 42 )
BTown Regular

Post by mightyatom13 »

The main reason mid and late Flames is more popular is that it has been out for years. Early war just came out 6 months ago or so.
prymus ( 26 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by prymus »

Interesting. I thought FOW had done the earlywar years a while ago. I do not do FOW, but have been gaming 15mm WWII for years. I have used a bunch of different rules and have settled on my own for the time being. I wrote them about 25 years ago when I gamed in micro, then jumped to 15 and rewrote them. I set them aside looking for a different flavor and went through Rapid Fire, CD, CD 2, 4 or 5 privately published sets, Battlefront, Blitzkrieg Commander, then finally back to where it all began with my own rules. Most likely i'll try a few more sets in the years to come. That's one of the fun aspects of the Hobby for me, buying/writing and accumulating rules sets.
friar.tuck ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Post by friar.tuck »

My preference is 15mm. I think it's a nice size to field a reasonable amount of pieces, landscape, etc... without having to put an addition on your house... It spreads nicely over the kitchen table or the living room floor if you are making a family game night out of it. Some of the models are decently detailed and the size of the forces generally allow for a decent mix of armor, guns and troops.

I spent a while deciding on a system and ended up going with Flames of War.

The game system is straightforward and it is easy to modify the rules while introducing new players to make things a bit simpler... yet, when the full scope of the rules is in use, it's about as "realistic" as one might expect to get to 15mm land combat.
Respectfully,

Friar.Tuck

---------------
Want:
FOW: U.S.: U.S. dice tin
6mm: Baccus Imperial Romans & their enemy, other 6mm

Have to trade:
FOW: German: 3 Tigers
FOW: British (both NIB): Para Roy. Engin (BR806), 4.5" Howitzer Battery
FOW: American (NIB): Rifle Company (UBX03)
Heroes of Normandie (NIB: still shrink wrapped)
captain_hook ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by captain_hook »

28mm Scale for skirmish level WWII games. Disposable Heroes are a good set of easy play rules. Used to play 15mm Flames of War, but for skirmish games I prefer a larger scale.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

FOW hands down!
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

chrisswim wrote:It seems that mid to late war is the most popular era of WW2. Is that because the US got involved? Is that the weapon systems developed and larger variety?
Two reasons: the Yanks and the big fancy stuff.

I like 20mm for WWII skirmish, and I use a fairly peripheral heavy game called Face of Battle. I use plastic figs and vehicles from major model manufacturers and it's all cheap and fun. This is what a squad of my Krauts looks like:

http://kriegsspiel.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary

Return to “Armchair Generals”