MODERN Wargaming (post WW 2 gaming)

Want to discuss WWII or the War of the Roses? Here is the place! All historical discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

MODERN Wargaming (post WW 2 gaming)

Post by chrisswim »

Since the end of the cold war, what scale do you like? 2mm, 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25-28mm, 1/1200, or 1/2400, other? What modern period of gaming do you like: Korea, Vietnam, Cold War in Europe, Iraqi Freedom? And do you then like the land wargaming, naval or air battles primarily? Why do you like what you do, what are the advantages that you like to your scale of figures (detail is great, can mass lots and lots of troops, variety of figures, my friend started me in the scale and I am stuck with it)?
chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: MODERN Wargaming (post WW 2 gaming)

Post by chrisswim »

In modern gaming, I prefer 6mm or 1/285 (also 1/300) scale wargaming. It offer flexibility in the scale and scope of a wargame. I have the ability to play in large land battles with hundreds of tanks and/or other fighting vehicles for large conflicts which for a table 4x6, 6x8 feets is not an option in 15mm or larger scale, unless you have a larger table. If you have a larger table, then I would have the ability to have an even larger force or more room to manoeuver.
In 1/285 scale, there are a variety of manufacturers, about 5-6 that I can think of, although not as many as there used to be during the Cold War and as other scale have. There is a wide variety of figures. In 6mm, on well know manufacturer has 4 different models of the Abrams Tank: M1, M1A1, M1A2, M1A2 TUSK. Has several variants of the Bradley: M2, M2A2, and M6 Linebacker, also have about 8-10 variants of the Hummer. Also variety option to represent various nations and their military equipment. Other manufacturers offer other nation's equipment and a more extensive line.

The detail quality varies, to very, very good to ...poor. In many cases, more detail than I have seen on larger scale figures.

Also in modern conflict, a tank in 1/285 scale would probably be able to shoot across a gym floor or half of it if playing to scale. So playing in 15mm modern, be able to shoot 1-2 gym distances for a 'realistic' range of a tank gun. 2mm would probably offer the best for that aspect. But give up the visual aspect and appreciation of detail.

What say you?
Chris
chrisswim ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: MODERN Wargaming (post WW 2 gaming)

Post by chrisswim »

Just built and finished my first tractor-trailer combo. Used stryene for the trailer and some wheels from a GHQ German 7 tong truck. AS I have finished the 'proof of concept' model, which I will painted, I will need to figure out how to work on these for better fit of the floor, sides, & top. Using a GHQ 5 ton wrecker for my tractor, so my hard cost of items is about $8, Will have to work on a different solution for the tractor.

Return to “Armchair Generals”