Are folks looking forward to Rio Quest?

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Are folks looking forward to Rio Quest?

Post by gardenninja »

The Riot Quest announcements really took me by surprise, but I'm still not totally sure what to expect. It does look cool, though.

Has anyone else been looking into this one?
Nyarlathotep333 ( 112 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Are folks looking forward to Rio Quest?

Post by Nyarlathotep333 »

It looks fun, but I've already got more minis and games that I still need to paint/play so I'm not likely do more than pick individual Riot Quest minis up for conversion projects I have planned. I'm sort of disappointed that the Riot Quest minis are usable in Warmachine/Hordes armies to be honest...the aesthetic of Riot Quest can be pretty goofy looking depending on the miniature, which doesn't visually mesh well with Warmachine/Hordes in my opinion.
Lower rating pays/ships first, standard B-Town practice. If we are particularly close in refs we can discuss a simul-send. I also reserve the right to ask people without newer refs to pay/ship first.

Trade refs not left by: BlackBreath
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

- I think it is nice that they can be played in Warmachine so long as they're alternate minis for something they already make.

Warmachine has always had some goofy looking alternate stuff like that from their con specials and loot crate. And while a lot of riot quest is goofy or weird, a decent number of them would fit into Warmachine just fine.

I've had a chance to paint up a bunch of Riot Quest minis now, and there are some nice sculpts in the game. I'll need to get the pictures of them posted up sometimes soon.

In continued weirdness from Privateer Press, they're funding the next set of Riot Quest via Kickstarter, and it looks like they're planning to do the same for some of their other projects as well.
Nyarlathotep333 ( 112 )
Journeyman Trader

That is true I guess. Some of the existing alt sculpt stuff - MiniCrate especially - is pretty goofy already.

Some of the Riot Quest stuff I wouldn't mind get a hold of for using with my Iron Kingdoms RPG campaign, I do have some of them listed in my trade list wants for that purpose. Perhaps someday, if I wind up with a bunch of them, I'll give Riot Quest a go.

I do have to admit that Gubbin (the non-promo with the dynamite) does crack me up too.

Also, where are people posting their paint/modding stuff nowadays? I haven't been on any forums in a long while, are the official PP forums still the place to go to check out people's work and post my own? I'd love to see what you've been doing with the Riot Quest stuff.
Lower rating pays/ships first, standard B-Town practice. If we are particularly close in refs we can discuss a simul-send. I also reserve the right to ask people without newer refs to pay/ship first.

gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

Miniatures forums kind of dropped out of popularity and have been mostly replaced by instagram and facebook groups. There are several Privateer Press facebook groups (and some of those groups will even have in person get togethers at conventions).

The Privateer Press forums are still around, but not as active as they once were.

The Reaper Forums are still going strong (and accept miniatures from any manufacturer).
Nyarlathotep333 ( 112 )
Journeyman Trader

Yeah, the PP forums definitely seem somewhat dead. That's too bad, I'm not a fan of Facebook personally. I never tried Instagram, perhaps I'll give that a look. I haven't been on Reaper forums for a long while so I'll have to head over there to check it out as well.

To be honest, I've been out of the loop for a few years. Just within the past year I started painting/modding again. I used to be pretty active on several forums back then, but I've not really been keeping up.

gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

The Reaper Forums are very good for painting and modding minis. And the folks there are pretty cool.

Also, every interaction I've had with

Another place gamers have migrated to is Discord. There are now a bunch of tabletop game discord groups. It is a bit odd, since you need to get an invitation for them, and people seem to usually invite others through Facebook.

They can vary quite a lot, and end up behaving like forums but with smaller groups.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”