Warhammer 40k Newbie: Orks

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Rose ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Warhammer 40k Newbie: Orks

Post by Hunter Rose »

I'm a long time Fantasy player. I was mulling around the idea of getting some Ork Bikers and Battlewagons and Trucks. I love me some Mad Max.

I don't know much about army composition for 40k. Is there a legal way, a formation or something, where I can field some warbikes,wagons, and trucks?
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Warhammer 40k Newbie: Orks

Post by HawtFist »

So the bikes are fast attack, assuming you want a bound army, then you'd end up with up to three units of those. Wartrakks and buggies are also fast support, FYI.

Battlewagons are heavy support, so you could put up to three in that spot, assuming again you want a bound army. However, Nobz and Mega Nobz in the Elites spot (again up to 3 in a bound army) can take wagons as a dedicated transport, which doesn't use up a spot on the FoC per se. Flash Gitz also can take a wagon as a dedicated transport, they fall in the heavy support section, so you could take them and a wagon and effectively get two heavy support units for the price of one.

Virtually every other unit in the codex that doesn't already have wings or wheels attached can take a trukk as a dedicaged transport (with the sad exception of Gretchin), so every unit of boyz, burnas, tank huntas, etc can all take a Trukk. You can mechanized the crap out of orks.

The only two downsides, though, are that this gets super expensive, super fast, (both in points and money even if scratch building or kitbashing) so it's hard to field a mechanized list in low point games, and secondly, Trukks are about as durable as wet toilet paper, and have to he used carefully or the last couple turns of the game are just not much fun to play.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

If you use forgeworld, you can take Zhadsnark and get warbikes as troops.

[admin edit]You've been around long enough to know that it's against the rules to offer trades in non-trade ads. [/admin edit]
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

HawtFist wrote: Trukks are about as durable as wet toilet paper, and have to he used carefully or the last couple turns of the game are just not much fun to play.
I can vouch for this.
You have to use wet toilet paper carefully or it is just not as much fun.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

I lol'd
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Even better. Buy a 40k rules book and a orc codex. read em and go from there.

Go on ebay and buy up as much Assault on blackreach orcs that you can find. orcs boys, Nobs, and copters are kool too. these are the cheapest troops you will find.

Rest is up to you.

Most orc players lean on Loota boys, and burna boys. Also consider a mech boy with shock attack gun. pretty nasty weapon. I have a beat up landraider I got in a trade here. and converted it into a battlewagon,

That's the great thing about orcs, you can make anything for them, make it look kool and let the players know what it is and bam game on. BITS BITS BITS and some beat up vehicle models and some plastic cardboard stock and you can build your orc army.

Orcs should be like marines. Everyone should have at least one army of them with all the left over crap they have laying around.

I built 3 orc armies so far, the first 2 were sold off. I think im holding onto my third one though. :mrgreen:
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Speaking of Orc trucks. My friend uses the hell out of them, He upgrades them with everything he can. Ramshackle and "it will not die" are his primary upgrades, and they just KEEP ON COMEING.
Also take Ard Boys all the time. you must take orcs with armor saves. :mrgreen:
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”