Once again im confused by GW.

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Once again im confused by GW.

Post by nightlord »

Other then releasing a new game by GW. Why another 40k(Horus Heresy) side by side with a standing 40k??

There are other games GW could have re-hatched. MANOWAR comes to mind. Not 7th edition 40k. I mean look what happened to 30K.

And exactly where is GW going with this (Horus Heresy) game. Are they gonna have new editions after it. One edition chasing the current edition?? That would be weird.

I even hear rumors of GW re-releasing OLD war hammer fantasy with rank and file armies again. Battle FLeet Gothic anyone???

Me; im all for MANOWAR coming back. Not 7th edition 40k.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Once again im confused by GW.

Post by akum »

Putting out new 40k and heresy is like printing money

Manowar and other such stuff would have a miniscule return for a large investment
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

HH is ODD.
It caters to people who want to game in the Horus Heresy era - which I TOTALLY get.
But it's basically just 7e rules, which were TOTAL GARBAGE. It baffles me that so many people play it.

But it makes absolute sense to me why GW's doing it...
By using a different rules set (armies are different than 40k, too), they can rope in the people who want to play and experience an older version of the environment, when not every chapter (etc.) was as different from each other as they are today. And those people are buying the models.
Then, they have the people who want to play 40k, but they want to use the cool HH models in their 40k games. So, they're double-dipping on their customer base.
Totally sensible to me, from their p.o.v.

For all their bluster about being a "miniatures company" that only puts out rules to sell miniatures, I don't entirely believe it. I think there's still a core at GW who thinks of it as a gaming company and, as such, that the rules REALLY DO matter more than as only a tool for selling models.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

IMO If GW wanted pull in more sales playing old 40K; 3rd edition. I probably would have jumped into that. And been jonezing for a chaos codex to go with it.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Oldhammer IS coming. They've been releasing teases for a while now.

I'm pretty sure Total War is the reason too. It has been doing very very well, and, if you check out the recent game's art, it lines up pretty closely with the models coming for StD (like the Daemon Prince).

I, for one, am excited. But I already play 8th whfb still, so fresh rules is fine by me.

The HH thing is a bit weird though, I'd imagine they are trying to take HH away from forgeworld and into plastic, bcz from what I remember, FW will be in charge of oldhammer. So perhaps they are moving production over? The FW team isn't very large after all.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

I believe what I've heard is that Old World will be GW. I'm assuming it'll be added to the banner on GW's website just like HH is now. It wouldn't make sense to have FW take over the entire line when they can just fire up the plastic molds for Warhammer (especially since they still use a LOT of them). Plus they can work in some of the AoS line, package the boxes with square and round bases, and sell the same kit for two games. I'm sure we'll see some GORGEOUS FW sculpts, but that'll be more niche than anything. Wouldn't be surprised if they re-release the FW Chaos Dwarfs and maybe do Nippon as a FW-only in the future (you know people would buy it!).

The Horus Heresy thing makes sense. Four of the books have appeared in the NYT Bestsellers list, and many more have appeared on many other bestseller lists. It's a wildly popular series. I think they're doing different rules to differentiate it from current 40k (otherwise it's just the same game with different models), and I'm sure a decent chunk of that motivation is sales related. But the release seems pretty hyped, so I think it'll do pretty well.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

For what Forge World charges for mini's There is no way in LLEH Im going to afford another OLD HAMMER fantasy army. what 100.00 for a block of infantry. Get real. Bad enough GW now charges 60.00 for a squad of marines.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Sadly, there are plenty who will.
But GW is moving plenty of HH stuff to plastic, too.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”