What Army Got You Into 40k?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

DDevastator ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: What Army Got You Into 40k?

Post by DDevastator »

I got into guard 7 or 8 years ago when looking at a White Dwarf magazine with two friends who were talking about getting into the game. I chose Imperial Guard because the Sentinel walkers looked like Star Wars AT-ST walkers. That and just having the average man in a universe of madness kinda appealed to me.
If you do not want to trade with me or are no longer interested after I start discussing a deal with you or you ask me for details on the items, please do not leave me hanging and wondering if you are still interested. Please have the courtesy to tell me you are not interested. Lower rating ships first and purchases do not get shipped out until payment is recieved. Thank you for looking!
KingmanHighborn ( 84 )
Resident Trader

Post by KingmanHighborn »

Eldar. And good god I miss my Eldar some days. Like nearly break into tears.
Cats and Chaos...they go together if you ask me.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

KingmanHighborn wrote:Eldar. And good god I miss my Eldar some days. Like nearly break into tears.
This may sound like a stupid question, but why do you miss them? Where did they go?
KingmanHighborn ( 84 )
Resident Trader

I miss them because they were my first army I ever built and painted to completion. And literally built a blister pack here, a box there, each model was unique, every guardian had a different helmet. As to what happened to it I sold/traded it to the owner of a game store called Warzone. He wanted it and praised it, made offers, and I didn't take any until I won a tourney there and got a free Chaos Lord. And to make a long story short, he dropped a megaton of Chaos kits and marines on me. (about 2,500 pts worth...3.5 ed. era.) including a NIB defiler. I couldn't refuse. (My Eldar was 1850 with EVERYTHING I owned.)

But I get sentimental sometimes. My first games, getting creamed so many times at the GW in Concord Mills, learning by playing, building, getting more and more competitive with the vets of the game until I was one of those vets and winning regularly...It's a time I really miss.

Also it's the only army I've killed a Warhound Titan with.
strider17 ( 200 )
BTown Regular

Post by strider17 »

I started with some friends back in the RT days and as the only one with a job I bought ALL the factions. Space Marines, Eldar, Squats, Chaos, Eldar, Orks, IG. I played mainly played Eldar, one buddy mainly played Chaos, and the other played Squats (he still plays squats er i mean short IG er i mean AM). I am CRAZY addicted to the damn game now and hardly play but have at least 5k for EVERY army in the game. CURSE YOU GW!!!! but the models are so damn cool!
Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

psiekier wrote:
KingmanHighborn wrote:Eldar. And good god I miss my Eldar some days. Like nearly break into tears.
This may sound like a stupid question, but why do you miss them? Where did they go?
Nothing like breaking in to tears, but my 3rd real army, nurgle Lost and the Damned, man, I miss that force sometimes. Every model in the whole army had some sculpting and conversion work, including all bajillion plague zombies... sold it off after i gave up hope of them ever bringing back anything I could proxy them as, since they'd been eliminating all the mixed PA and regular forces.

By my standards now, it was really only an okay army, but that force was my gaming life for a few years, so giant nostalgia factor.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
deathadder ( 36 )
BTown Regular

Post by deathadder »

Letsee.... Back in 5th (I know, so long ago) My friend was purchasing painting supplies from a company, and they sent her a full necron army (which I got for christmas). I played them for about a year, until the new Dark Eldar came out. I instantly fell in love with the models, and since I loved the lore, I started collecting them. I'm at a cool 3,000 points painted I believe
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

So long ago and far away... Started in 2nd with Marines as my first army, but it was when I added some IG as allies that I erally got hooked. By 3rd I was primarily an IG player and still am to this day, altho over the many years between I have built and played some variant of nearly every faction out there. Current armies owned are IG (almost all RT-era models, other than vehicles), Sisters of Battle and my original Genestealer Cult.
Don "MONDO"
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Don, you need to start a thread and post some pics of that Genestealer Cult!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Eldar Alaitoc.
Blue and yellow.
The Eldar were just interesting to me, each unit so specialized. Ahh....long sold away. Sold here. I actually was talking to the guy I sold them to, and he said the whole army was stolen at a tournament he went to. (Sigh)
KingmanHighborn ( 84 )
Resident Trader

Damn, it's bad enough to have seller's remorse, but get something and have it stolen. God that sucks.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

In 1990 or '91 I bought a Dreadnaught (circle torso with square "face") and 30 beakies for about $50. Painted them as flesh tearers (black and yellow was the color scheme back then). Still have one sitting around somewhere with a free hand yellow saw blade on one shoulder and knobbly bits on the other, and a bolter with a bayonet on it. My first real army though was Eldar, during second and third editions. Still have a purple howling banshee exarch around somewhere. That was during my Elf loving phase - played Elves in D&D all the time too. I don't miss my Eldar much at all. But those beakies...
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
IyachtuXvim ( 6 )
New Trader

Post by IyachtuXvim »

Going to perform some necromancy on this thread as it was 1990 or 91 for me as well (when I was 10 or 11). Spied a terminator with assault cannon at the LGS while buying some new dice for D&D, thought it looked cool so picked it up along with a few pots of paint and a brush. A couple years later I got into the game proper and started up a Sisters of Battle army. I just really liked the idea of bolt gun wielding, power armor wearing, devoted to the emperor women. I still have lots of those same models to this day in my current Sisters line up.
Games I am currently playing: 40k (SoB, DA, Tau), SW Armada, Pathfinder & Shadowrun RPG, Board & Card games.
Games I occasionally dust off to play a game: AT-43, BFG, Firestorm Armada, X-wing, MTG, Fate.
Games I would like to play: 40k Epic, Babylon 5 A Call to Arms.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”