BTR - branderson1983 aka maskedman504 - Resolved by PAYPAL

These BTR's have been resolved. The accused may or may not have been involved in the resolution. Familiarize yourself with this section as a preventative measure.

Moderator: Moderators

Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

BTR - branderson1983 aka maskedman504 - Resolved by PAYPAL

Post by Korias1004 »

Hey ladies and gents, it's with a heavy heart, and lighter paypal wallet, that I post this.

Branderson1983 on our site, after doing a bit of research, is maskedman504, who had his original account (maskedman504) suspended from dakkadakka.com for having several open trade reports on him from their dakka swap shop.

Having said that, before I did this research, and before I searched for his name on this site, I agreed to purchase two tyranids Haruspex kits from him that he had posted in the 40k area.

He listed 6 NiB items in a topic. I contacted him and here are the follwing PMs oldest to newest. Also, if any Mod wishes to see a screenshot of my paypal email verifying that I paid him for the goods prior to him shipping just ask and I can PM it or email it to you..and yes, I was foolish enough to paypal gift as my previous transactions have until now been positive.
Re: H: Nids in box W: $$$
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:59 pm
by Korias1004

If you still have one of the Haruspex and one of the Harpies left I'd like to purchase 1 kit each.

Can you pm me a picture of them together for validation that they are NiB and in your possession?

Thanks,
Ben

Based upon the GW site that's 73+80 = 153 * .35 = 53.55 + whatever shipping would be.

Subject: H: Nids in box W: $$$

branderson1983 wrote:
Not looking for trades.

Was going to do a tyranid army, but I am changing gears.

I have the following, sealed in box for 65% of retail which includes paypal and shipping.

(2) Haruspex
(2) Hive Tyrant
(2) Harpies

LMK if you are interested.
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:55 pm
by branderson1983

Both harpies just sold.
There was a picture of a haruspex shrink wrapped on a wood grain table. If you need the picture from the pm let me know and I will get it to you
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:03 pm
by Korias1004

Ok, well if you have both Haruspexes still I'll take both if you have them.

If just one, I'll take the one.

Paypal info please?

My address is

REDACTED
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:17 pm
by branderson1983

I have both. Paypal is branderson1983@gmail.com

Thanks Ben!
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:21 pm
by Korias1004

Ok, done deal.

So that's 73.00 x 2 = 146.00 x .35 = 51.10

So paypal gift of 52.00.

When do you expect you'll be able to ship them?

Thanks,
Ben
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:30 pm
by Korias1004

Paypal sent,

Will leave you feedback upon getting the package.

Thanks!

Ben
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:41 pm
by branderson1983

You got you math wrong buddy. 65%

146 * .65 = $95
Sent: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm
by Korias1004

Ah, I see. I read your message as "65% off retail" not "of retail".

Well, I didn't mean to spend that much, but my fault for reading it wrong.

Sending you the remaining balance now.

95 - 52 (what I sent already) = $43.00

Thanks,
Ben
Sent: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:37 am
by Korias1004

Hey Ben,

Just wanted to get a confirmation from you for the receipt of the remaining balance for the two haruspexes I sent over paypal. I also wanted to know how you ship it, via ups, USPS, or fedex and if you will provide a tracking number?

Thanks,
Ben
Sent: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 am
by Korias1004

Hey Ben,

I don't know if you've just been busy or something came up, but some communication on the status of the deal would be great. I've already paid and I'm sure if roles were reversed and you had already paid for an item you would want to know whether it was in the process of being sent or shipped already.

Pardon me if I'm coming off rude, as I'm not intending to be, but lack of contact when it comes to money makes me nervous.

Thanks,
Ben

I have since sent an email this evening
Tyranids from BartertownClick to teach Gmail this conversation is important.
Redeemer Korias bmpalmer1004@gmail.com
10:30 PM (21 minutes ago)

to branderson1983

Hey Ben,

This is just a friendly reminder that you haven't gotten in touch with me in regards to the tyranids that you owe me from Bartertown. I know you read the pm before last that I sent on Sunday, and you have not gotten back on to check your PMs since then, despite the PM I sent you on Tuesday.

Let's please resolve this without any further issue.

Regards,
Ben
I then did the internet search which resulted in me finding this topic on dakkadakka

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... ge#5571162

I found some more information about him (his ebay account primarily) after searching on this site:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=201375&p=383028&hi ... on#p383028

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I will post a link to this thread in his topic to further prevent anyone from potentially getting scammed. I THINK I may have found his information on linkedin, but if anyone else has any information, please feel free to PM me with it so that I can continue to try and contact him. If you were also scammed, I will be more than happy to share information that I have and you may have to further our recouping our money if possible.

His ebay account is sadly no longer a registered user...

Traders beware!
Owed Reference(s) by:

Please respond to PMs, even if it's to say you had a better offer or a no thanks. It's just polite.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Re: branderson1983 aka maskedman504

Post by Korias1004 »

I didn't want to edit my original post to prevent any undue concern as to the veracity of my information.

I realize after the fact that there is a chance I am rushing to judgement, but I have maintained a polite demeanor in all of my PMs, or so I think, but in light of the issues this user had at dakkadakka, I feel like I am leaning in the right direction. Moderators, I believe I have found the person via facebook, but before I attempt to contact them I would like to forward the information to you if you have any further way of verifying it. As of now, I just have a hunch based upon some circumstantial evidence.
Owed Reference(s) by:

Please respond to PMs, even if it's to say you had a better offer or a no thanks. It's just polite.
IamCaboose ( 94 )
BTown Regular

Post by IamCaboose »

This is why I never gift the money and I insist that people paying me don't gift it as well. You can try calling Paypal and telling them that you'll never do it again. I've heard that helps with "first time offenders". All is not lost.

Caboose
Sorry I don't ship internationally.

I won't send any Paypal payments as a gift, and I won't ask you to. If the fee is that much of a problem then you might be in the wrong hobby...

Awaiting references from: bleeder_boy, Lord_Goober

If I owe you a reference please shoot me a friendly reminder.
Herz ( 28 )
BTown Regular

Post by Herz »

IamCaboose wrote:This is why I never gift the money and I insist that people paying me don't gift it as well. You can try calling Paypal and telling them that you'll never do it again. I've heard that helps with "first time offenders". All is not lost.

Caboose
This

I almost always prefer using Paypal and paying fees versus getting burned.

You can always use the Paypal fee calculator next time http://thefeecalculator.com/ Helps alot.

But, heres hoping you can contact Paypal and get it sorted. I'd say be super adamant about it being a first time thing and you didnt know.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

I will attempt to put pressure on this guy first; I'm just waiting to see what the moderators have to say in regards to how they would prefer me to handle it. I'm almost positive I've tracked the guy's facebook account to include his place of employment if he sees fit not to respond. I've read in one of the other BTR threads about calling/emailing the person and their family members directly first before trying to reach them through their workplace.

If that doesn't work then I'll attempt the paypal route.
Owed Reference(s) by:

tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

Dont wait on him, Start the paypal process. It can take up to 90 days to get yoru money back from them and you can always cancel the claim if he starts talking again.

Also its the weekend, might take till Monday to get a staff member to respond as they arent always around on weekends.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

Thus far I have made a paypal claim via email, PMed the administrators over at dakkadakka that dealt with branderon1983's shenanigans to get any information they were willing to share, as well as having contacted a seller that recently did business with banderson1983 via ebay.

Any other suggestions?
Owed Reference(s) by:

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

tordeck wrote:Dont wait on him, Start the paypal process. It can take up to 90 days to get yoru money back from them and you can always cancel the claim if he starts talking again.
Never EVER do this.
Never cancel your claim until the pieces are IN YOUR HANDS and you have EVERYTHING promised. Once you cancel a claim, you can't reopen it.

Your email to PayPal will be denied because you sent as a gift. You MUST call them. It's your only chance.
Beg, plead, claim ignorance, promise to never do it again.
It's worked before.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

MagickalMemories wrote:
tordeck wrote:Dont wait on him, Start the paypal process. It can take up to 90 days to get yoru money back from them and you can always cancel the claim if he starts talking again.
Never EVER do this.
Never cancel your claim until the pieces are IN YOUR HANDS and you have EVERYTHING promised. Once you cancel a claim, you can't reopen it.

Your email to PayPal will be denied because you sent as a gift. You MUST call them. It's your only chance.
Beg, plead, claim ignorance, promise to never do it again.
It's worked before.

Eric

especailly if he asked you to send it as a gift.
It shows he planned on fraud and played on your good side, to save him on fees.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

So I PM'ed him (also sent him the same thing in an email to his gmail account)

Sent: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:24 pm
by Korias1004
Hey Ben,

I sent an email to your gmail account last night. I don't know if you got it but I figured I would PM you again on the off chance that you get the alerts on your phone. I will also send you another email today.

If I'm jumping the gun I apologize, but to me it seems as if you are not interested in sending me the items for which we made a deal. If you no longer have the items then I would like a refund. If you do have the items I would like a response with a valid tracking number.

Please let me know what the situation is so we can resolve this without it having to escalate further. I have already opened a bad trader report but we can come to a solution that does not result in any further issues.

I am also going to directly email you this same message.
Thanks,

Ben

He has yet to check his PMs as there are two still sitting in my outbox. He did however respond to the email.
Ben Anderson

7:01 AM (4 hours ago)

to me

I will find the tracking receipt and get the information to you!

Sorry, been very busy working extra shifts at the hospital.

- Ben

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the

personal and confidential use of the designated recipients of the email. This message

may be an attorney-client communication and, as such, is privileged and confidential. If

you are not an intended recipient of this message or an agent responsible for delivering

it to an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message

in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is

strictly prohibited.

I don't quite know what to make of the last little bit at the end there. I don't know if that's his signature or a tagline format from an app on his phone or something along the lines of what gets attached if you have your gmail forwarded to a company compute. At any rate, I replied with the following.
Redeemer Korias bmpalmer1004@gmail.com

9:41 AM (1 hour ago)

to Benjamin

I won't lie and say I am not a little surprised that you responded. I can understand you being busy and I do very much want to believe in your good intentions, but I hope you understand how it would appear to you if roles were reversed and the person you paid suddenly stopped responding without even so much as a simple letter such as this.

What day and by what carrier did you send the items?

Please understand that while I am hopeful this can all be resolved the lack of communication coupled with the other issues I found out about you from dakkadakka and that your eBay account is no longer registered are quite concerning to me.

However, I will set those concerns aside temporarily and allow you time to make good on your end of the delivery.

Thanks for getting back with me, and if I erred and jumped the gun to judgement I apologize and work at setting things right on my end. I remain hopeful we can have a successful transaction and look forward to resolving this.

Ben
So, I know what my gut is telling me, and how I personally feel, but I also know how quickly life can happen to all of us. That being said, if I am indebted to someone for something and they have already made good on their end of the bargain, I would like to think it would only take me a day or two to reply.

Since he still hasn't logged back into BTown I not worried that he will read this and spoil any advantage in surprise I might have. I have found either his residence or likely his parents'. I'm pretty sure I've found his facebook, as well as the local gaming club facebook groups of which he is a member.

That being said...what do y'all think is an appropriate amount of time to give someone? I was thinking until Sunday or perhaps Monday to allow him to retroactively ship the package, thus fulfilling his end of the bargain, before seeking to trying to directly reach out to him via a phone call.

Of course, I would feel like a total ass if I've wrongly accused the poor fellow...but all the evidence did/does support the initiation of the BTR at the time.
Owed Reference(s) by:

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

The last bit after his name, is a automatic add on some businesses have on all out going email.

Don't beat yourself up. Some people just don't reply.
There's a guy in my local group. He owes everyone money; either from borrowing it, have work done or for items he's borrowed and never returned or items he bought, received, but never paid in full.
Yet he has no problem going out and buying a new $100 game that GW releases and showing it off to everyone.
When asked when he'll pay you, he answer is, I'll get it to you when I can.
We've all been burned by him once. Once. Now, no one lets him borrow or touch anything.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Tinqle ( 64 )
BTown Regular

Post by Tinqle »

Also sent a payment to this gut for a nib exocrine model on March 30th and never received it. I have PM'ed him twice but they have not been received and he has not been on since. Anyone here from this guy?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Tinqle wrote:Also sent a payment to this gut for a nib exocrine model on March 30th and never received it. I have PM'ed him twice but they have not been received and he has not been on since. Anyone here from this guy?
Please, don't piggyback your issues onto someone else's BTR.
At this point, it seems clear that you should file a BTR on him and file with PayPal.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

branderson1983 ripped me off
Sent: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:06 am
by Tinqle

Hi I also made a deal with branderson1983 to purchase a haruspex and he never sent the package or responded to my messages after I sent the payment. If you could, please let me know if you
So, seeing this, I no longer have any confidence that he is going to make due. I will be attempting to make contact with him directly this week. If by chance that doesn't work I will attempt to put social pressure on him and try to get in contact with him through his gaming clubs. Ultimately, if that also fails I will attempt to reach him at work.

Wish me luck.

MagickalMemories wrote:
Tinqle wrote:Also sent a payment to this gut for a nib exocrine model on March 30th and never received it. I have PM'ed him twice but they have not been received and he has not been on since. Anyone here from this guy?
Please, don't piggyback your issues onto someone else's BTR.
At this point, it seems clear that you should file a BTR on him and file with PayPal.

Eric
Sorry Eric, after he PM'ed me I asked him if I could post his PM to show that branderson had promised two exocrines to me, and one to Tinqle, of which branderson originally claimed he only had two, not three to give away.
Owed Reference(s) by:

bushellrr ( 10 )
New Trader

Post by bushellrr »

Well that's just crappy, branderson1983 also sold an Exocrine/Hauspex to me on the same day as you, so that's at least four models when he only claimed to have two. I'll change my thread to BTR and start the PayPal reversal process. I'd be interested in sharing information. If this is planned fraud and he's taken us combined for over $500, he's into Felony land. Maybe that will motivate him to agree to PayPal reversals since he can't possibly deliver all of us the same model. Crappy. PM me, I'll message you privately. Thank you for doing all this research.
:) I 've never seen anyone pack so little so well...you might have an OCD problem ;) - Trading Partner

Return to “Resolved Bad Trader Reports”